Coaching buyouts

Rupert Jenkins

Nov 29, 2017
Who here has some fairly accurate info on buy outs of another teams coach. We all know what it costs to make one go away but what typically does it cost to buy a coach out of his current contract ? Say Chadwell or Traylor ? They have a lot of money left contractually

greenbean.sixpack

Oct 6, 2012
For Chadwell, not only would we have his buyout, he'd want to break the bank to come. $7mil+

8dog

Feb 23, 2008
I doubt anyone knows the buyout another school would have to pay to hire a coach. That’s usually not readily accessible info and often times not related to the current salary or what the current school would have to pay if they fired the coach. I mean why would Chadwell hem himself in with a huge buyout when he has the leverage in negotiating with Liberty

Rupert Jenkins

Nov 29, 2017
I'm sure it's negotiated but would hinder us pursuing many candidates that get brought up continually here. Chadwell has like 4 years at 4 mill left. Traylor signed a 10 year contract in 21 at 2.5 mill. Paying the right coach 6 or 7 mill would not be a deterrent but dropping 10 or 12 on buyout would be. I would have to assume the other school would push for at least half but I really have no idea

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022
Schools that poach coaches pay almost nothing in buyout money. UF paid us something like $500k when they hired Mullen. That’s not a made up rumor of a number either, it was in the fine print of one of those USA Today annual AD revenue articles from back in 2018 or so.

Contractually, it’s typically the same amount as it is if you fire them (except the school getting the money instead). But the school with the departing coach always has zero leverage. They can legally enforce the contract if they want, but they’d get tied up in a months long battle with the hiring school….meanwhile the coach is still working for the new school (recruiting, staff building, etc.) while getting paid by the old one, and the old school can’t make a replacement hire until it gets settled.

patdog

May 28, 2007
I don't see us paying a big buyout to get a coach. We'll do it the same old short sighted cheap way we did when we didn't replace the AD for 4 months and just promoted an unqualified DC to head coach without a coaching search.

Reactions: Trojanbulldog19

8dog

Feb 23, 2008
I'm sure it's negotiated but would hinder us pursuing many candidates that get brought up continually here. Chadwell has like 4 years at 4 mill left. Traylor signed a 10 year contract in 21 at 2.5 mill. Paying the right coach 6 or 7 mill would not be a deterrent but dropping 10 or 12 on buyout would be. I would have to assume the other school would push for at least half but I really have no idea
No one is paying near 10-12 mill to buyout a coach they want to hire.

The Peeper

Feb 26, 2008
Who here has some fairly accurate info on buy outs of another teams coach. We all know what it costs to make one go away but what typically does it cost to buy a coach out of his current contract ? Say Chadwell or Traylor ? They have a lot of money left contractually

This is all I could find but can't vouch for its accuracy, its current and shows number effective 12/1/23 it says. BirdPuppy has pointed out this is to fire one, not hire one:

USA Today Coaches Contracts & Buyouts

Last edited:

BirdPuppy

Aug 5, 2023
It is typically no more than one year of contract. Often a fraction of that. It shouldn’t be a deterrent for anyone we are pursuing.

Rupert Jenkins

Nov 29, 2017
Schools that poach coaches pay almost nothing in buyout money. UF paid us something like $500k when they hired Mullen. That’s not a made up rumor of a number either, it was in the fine print of one of those USA Today annual AD revenue articles from back in 2018 or so.

Contractually, it’s typically the same amount as it is if you fire them (except the school getting the money instead). But the school with the departing coach always has zero leverage. They can legally enforce the contract if they want, but they’d get tied up in a months long battle with the hiring school….meanwhile the coach is still working for the new school (recruiting, staff building, etc.) while getting paid by the old one, and the old school can’t make a replacement hire until it gets settled.
That sounds good. Basically it's not a problem at all then. Excellent

8dog

Feb 23, 2008
That sounds good. Basically it's not a problem at all then. Excellent
Yeah. Mike Leach had just signed a 5 year $4 mill per year deal before we hired him. So that should give you an idea of how little the buyout matters.

thatsbaseball

May 29, 2007
A question and a thought.....both sadly indicative of our program
1) Have we ever had to pay a buyout to hire a coach ?
2) We've only had one football HC in the last 60 years that anybody else was even remotely interested in hiring away from us.

ronpolk

May 6, 2009

Exactly… it’s a non event. Schools lose coaches and buyouts are negotiated. Let a school like liberty try and stop a coach from taking a bigger job, it would be the last ambitious coach they got.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login