Coaching Search

PooPopsBaldHead

Dec 15, 2017
The longer it goes you have to think it's a sitting head coach playing for a conference title right? Or a P5 head coach.

If it's a coordinator, they're going to announce it immediately. If it's a head coach of a lower tier school, especially one with a weak record or nothing to play for (like 4-7 Tom Herman or 6-5 GJ Kinne) I would think that we'd ask him to announce ASAP. If it's a better team's head Coach in the G5 or a P5 head coach we have to wait until after the regular season or conference title game usually.

If this is the case. Of the many mentioned names (not the silly ones like Kingsbury and Tom Brady at OC)... who are we ruling out and who's still in play if a name is not announced very early next week?

I'll start:

Out
Lebby
Herman
Mullen
Leipold
Schumann
Kinne
Judge (silly in my eyes)

Still In
Fritz
Lashlee
Sumrall
Chadwell

Who else?

ETA I certainly like that in list more than the out list.

Last edited:

olblue

Mar 11, 2018
The longer it goes you have to think it's a sitting head coach playing for a conference title right? Or a P5 head coach.

If it's a coordinator, they're going to announce it immediately. If it's a head coach of a lower tier school, especially one with a weak record or nothing to play for (like 4-7 Tom Herman or 6-5 GJ Kinne) I would think that we'd ask him to announce ASAP. If it's a better team's head Coach in the G5 or a P5 head coach we have to wait until after the regular season or conference title game usually.

If this is the case. Of the many mentioned names (not the silly ones like Kingsbury and Tom Brady at OC)... who are we ruling out and who's still in play if a name is not announced very early this week?

I'll start:

Out
Lebby
Herman
Mullen
Schumann
Kinne
Judge (silly in my eyes)

Still In
Fritz
Lashlee
Sumrall
Chadwell
Leipold

Who else?

It’s been five days. Relax and quit overthinking (or in this case underthinking). It will be another week or two before things are sorted out.

Reactions: TXDawg.sixpack

msstatelp1

Aug 21, 2012

Unless it's someone currently not coaching I highly doubt we'd announce it early. If someone offered you a higher paying job would you want them to announce it to your current employer and the world?

Reactions: PooPopsBaldHead

Mjoelner

Sep 2, 2006

If this is the case. Of the many mentioned names (not the silly ones like Kingsbury and Tom Brady at OC)... who are we ruling out and who's still in play if a name is not announced very early this week?

I'll start:

Out
Lebby
Herman
Mullen
Schumann
Kinne
Judge (silly in my eyes)

Still In
Fritz
Lashlee
Sumrall
Chadwell
Leipold

Who else?

I would actually reverse that list 180 degrees.

Reactions: Bullldawg78

PooPopsBaldHead

Dec 15, 2017
Unless it's someone currently not coaching I highly doubt we'd announce it early. If someone offered you a higher paying job would you want them to announce it to your current employer and the world?
Agree. Shouldn't be early (edited original post, I meant to say early next week after the reg season not this week before Thanksgiving.) Once the reg season is over, head coaches usually bolt Sunday/Monday unless they have a conference championship game. Coordinators usually do the press conference and then go back to to coach a conference championship game or even a playoff potentially (except when Saban kicked Kiffin to the curb.)

I would think since several candidates are HC's playing in conference championship games, if we don't hear from someone the last few days of November, we are likely ending up with a HC from one of the G5 teams playing for a conference title.

Reactions: msstatelp1

Rupert Jenkins

Nov 29, 2017
Never ever should anyone think that we were hiring a coach until the Monday after the EB. Unless it was Bob or Dan. Period. No coach with 2 games left is announcing he is bailing out on his team. Ffs people. Or one game. Not a HC and not even a coordinator

patdog

May 28, 2007
Maybe everybody we talk to is saying no.
More likely we’re talking to people but it hasn’t gotten to the point of making an offer yet. Or it’s someone Selmon knows we’ll and the deal is done & being kept under wraps until the season ends.

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022

If this is the case. Of the many mentioned names (not the silly ones like Kingsbury and Tom Brady at OC)... who are we ruling out and who's still in play if a name is not announced very early next week?

I'll start:

Out
Lebby
Herman
Mullen
Leipold
Schumann
Kinne
Judge (silly in my eyes)

Still In
Fritz
Lashlee
Sumrall
Chadwell

Who else?

Lebby is definitely not out.

The rest of your two lists should be accurate.

PBRME

Feb 12, 2004

I'll start:

Out
Lebby
Herman
Mullen
Leipold
Schumann
Kinne
Judge (silly in my eyes)

Still In
Fritz
Lashlee
Sumrall
Chadwell

Who else?

They’re not announcing anything before the Egg Bowl. Announce before the Egg Bowl and any positive feelings on the hire are gone after we get demolished.

mcdawg22

Sep 18, 2004

I'll start:

Out
Lebby
Herman
Mullen
Leipold
Schumann
Kinne
Judge (silly in my eyes)

Still In
Fritz
Lashlee
Sumrall
Chadwell

Who else?

This Bob Stoops disrespect will not be tolerated.

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022
Never ever should anyone think that we were hiring a coach until the Monday after the EB. Unless it was (redacted) or Dan. Period. No coach with 2 games left is announcing he is bailing out on his team. Ffs people. Or one game. Not a HC and not even a coordinator
Not even (redacted)….things gotta stay under wraps until the time is right so the Arlington Renegades not being able to catch wind of things and come up with a counter-offer!

I swear its like some of you have never followed a coaching search….be better. CANNOT let word get back to Arlington on this. SPS is crawling with secret Renegades personnel who are checking these threads. Its better for everyone to just pretend (redacted) isn’t a candidate - it would help things go a lot smoother and keep us in the fold on this thing***

horshack.sixpack

Oct 30, 2012

I'll start:

Out
Lebby
Herman
Mullen
Leipold
Schumann
Kinne
Judge (silly in my eyes)

Still In
Fritz
Lashlee
Sumrall
Chadwell

Who else?

I thought I read somewhere chadwell was out?

biodawg

Mar 3, 2008
I don’t see many folks talking about Jeff Traylor. He seems like a guy that we could reasonably pull. He makes $2.5MM at UTSA with an offensive and special teams background. I’d love to have him.

pseudonym

Oct 6, 2022
I don’t see many folks talking about Jeff Traylor. He seems like a guy that we could reasonably pull. He makes $2.5MM at UTSA with an offensive and special teams background. I’d love to have him.
A&M would have to announce a hire before we could reasonably get Traylor. And he’s spent almost his entire career in TX. He may hold out for a job in that state even if he doesn’t get A&M this cycle.

Last edited:

Leeshouldveflanked

Nov 12, 2016
Maybe everybody we talk to is saying no.
I Love Lucy Sigh GIF by Paramount+
Sarcasm

biodawg

Mar 3, 2008
A&M would have to announce a hire before we could reasonably get Traylor. And he’s spent almost his entire career in TX. He may holdout for a job in that state even if he doesn’t get A&M this cycle.
I agree with you on the A&M thing. But if they pass on him, make it hard for him to say no. Offer him $6MM with an above average salary pool for assistants.

Eleven Bravo

Aug 31, 2018
Taylor not leaving Texas, ever. That’s just the facts. There are some guys who are just that way, and he’s one of them.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login