Cohen might not want to be Head Coach

emmadawg

Feb 26, 2008
I've heard from some people over the years that Nelle - his wife doesn't like Starkville and they love Lexington. Hey -- just reporting what i heard a year or 2 ago when he was hired at UK. I hope that's not the case, b/c he's my top choice.

He played during the best 4 year run in MSU history and we knew how to hit the ball. He learned something during that time, b/c --- damn, his clubs knock the snot out of the ball

Team BA: .323 --- something like that -- and UK has led the league in hitting the past 2 seasons.

ArrowDawg

Oct 10, 2006
.....proven head coaches around the country who we should give higher consideration to than Tommy Raffo. I don't think we'll actually do it, of course, but I'm saying that's what we SHOULD do. Cohen should be at the top of our list, and we should work our way down to the bottom.....where Raffo should be.

Todd4State

Mar 3, 2008
we really should do a real coaching search, and not limit it to just Cohen vs. Raffo, because while we have beaten Raffo to death, there is the chance that Cohen may turn us down.

I will say that both Raffo and Cohen should be considered, but I think we need to also look at some other people and come up with the best fit for MSU. Personally, I think that would be someone like Rick Jones at Tulane, I've always liked Mike Kinneson at Delta State personally, McDonnell would be a good candidate, Corbin, and Ray Tanner should also get calls. Gary Gilmore has built a very good program at Coastal Carolina. Also, Joe Sottolano at Army has done a very impressive job there. Asking Pat Casey and Mike Fox wouldn't hurt, I don't think they'll come, but asking wouldn't hurt. I've always liked George Horton, now at Oregon, but I think he's probably pretty commited to that program right now. Gary McClure at Austin Peay may be good candidate as well.

VegasDawg13

Jun 11, 2007
Not all people wish to one day move back close to where they're from. Just because she's from Louisiana doesn't mean she would automatically rather be in Starkville than Lexington.</p>

saddawg

Jun 25, 2006
John is from Mobile. I could be wrong.

8dog

Feb 23, 2008
from his bio:

A native of Tuscaloosa, Ala., Cohen traveled across the state line to play his college ball at Mississippi State from 1988-90 under legendary head coach Ron Polk. The Bulldogs advanced to an NCAA Regional each of Cohen's three years, capped by a run to the 1990 College World Series. In 1989, he led his teams to SEC championship. Cohen finished his career ranked in the top 10 in several statistical categories at Mississippi State.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login