Cohen's Legacy: Good , Mediocre or Lousy?

Cantdoitsal

Sep 26, 2022
I will say I think he was instrumental leaving the Polk Years Behind and getting us visiting Omaha more regularly and eventually that longed for Natty.
I also think he botched the hell outta the Jim Schlossnagle Hire. I usually don't have inside info but here in Fort Worth, I got lucky. A TCU insider who was upset about the pending anouncement told me. TIFWIW. I wonder where we'd be had that hire happened.
The Vik Exit. Killed a good thing IMO. It's like Nice Things were Stolen from STATE.
Didn't put the students on the floor to wrec havoc on visiting teams. Let's see what our new AD does on that.
Was Lazy and uninterested in NIL. 17'd us hard on the late start. I think we're in better NIL hands now that he's gone.
Botched the Joe M hire; cost us a NY6 or who knows what we coulda done that year.
My Final Thoughts: Was a Dumb Hire from the Get Go based on non AD Experience.

Reactions: Uncle Ruckus

patdog

May 28, 2007
Better than LT, worse than Byrne and Stricklin. That’s the nicest thing I can say.
What's really sad is, as bad as Templeton was, he was actually a lot better than most of the ADs we had before him.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
I also think he botched the hell outta the Jim Schlossnagle Hire. I usually don't have inside info but here in Fort Worth, I got lucky. A TCU insider who was upset about the pending anouncement told me. TIFWIW. I wonder where we'd be had that hire happened.
I prefer where we are now. I like being a national champion. Only an idiot would say otherwise, even if it means we have losing seasons in 2022 and 2023.

Cohen saved our baseball program, and in a way, built the modern one. That can't be debated.

engie

May 29, 2011
rollercoastery
Yep. It's a roller coaster. Both as coach and AD. I never wanted him to become AD and he didn't do much to prove me wrong in that regard, though I lost interest in complaining about it. There's a quote of mine here somewhere from when we were interviewing that said I felt like hiring him to replace Strick leads to highly likely downgrades at both positions, and that was mostly true. I feel sure we upgraded at AD now. Was sure we'd upgraded at head baseball coach too, but I'm being forced to withhold that judgement at this time.

retire the banner

Dec 29, 2022
Football - D+
Made one awful hire (Moorhead)
One mediocre hire (Leach)

MBB - B-
Fired Howland a year or so too late
Made a great hire (Jans)

Baseball - A+
Cannizzaro was a good hire, but he was too horny
Lemonis delivered a national championship

8dog

Feb 23, 2008
I will say I think he was instrumental leaving the Polk Years Behind and getting us visiting Omaha more regularly and eventually that longed for Natty.
The Vik Exit. Killed a good thing IMO. It's like Nice Things were Stolen from STATE.
Didn't put the students on the floor to wrec havoc on visiting teams. Let's see what our new AD does on that.
Was Lazy and uninterested in NIL. 17'd us hard on the late start. I think we're in better NIL hands now that he's gone.
Botched the Joe M hire; cost us a NY6 or who knows what we coulda done that year.

Needed a mulligan on FB, WBK and Baseball.
Great MBK hire.
Failed to strike while iron was hot on New Dude (second loft)
Abysmal $60 mill reno of the Hump

Not great.

QMartinez

Jan 17, 2023
Football - D+
Made one awful hire (Moorhead)
One mediocre hire (Leach)

MBB - B-
Fired Howland a year or so too late
Made a great hire (Jans)

Baseball - A+
Cannizzaro was a good hire, but he was too horny
Lemonis delivered a national championship
If you want to be honest, we are a very mediocre football program and Leach is a HOF coach. So very good hire in Leach, at least according to the entire college football world.

Willow Grove Dawg

Nov 3, 2016
Extremely Mediocre

Football - I don't judge that Joe Mo hire as terrible as some folks. It looked good on paper. I did not like the Leach hire at the time, but it appears that it was going to work out.

Men's Basketball - He played out the hand he was dealt with Howland & the Jans hire is promising.

Women's Basketball - If the rumors about the Vic situation are true, Cohen had no choice other than to demand changes in that program. He really botched the NMP hire though & the jury will be out for another year or two on Purcell.

Baseball - It is difficult for me to believe that there weren't similar issues in Andy's past & we should have found them in a background check. Lemonis hire looked really good for a few years, but is now kinda looking like the jury is out long-term.

Minor Sports - it looks like we really upgraded volleyball, softball, & soccer during John's tenure

His high level of assholery along the family wearing their politics on their sleeves significantly damaged him in the opinion of a lot of key boosters. An AD better really damned good in every other area to survive this situation.

retire the banner

Dec 29, 2022
If you want to be honest, we are a very mediocre football program and Leach is a HOF coach. So very good hire in Leach, at least according to the entire college football world.
Yes, Leach will be a HOF coach. And had great success at TT & WSU. We didn’t get that version of Leach though. There’s also a reason he spent close to 20 years at Texas Tech & Washington State. It was a safe hire by Cohen after reaching on Moorhead and missing.

Leach did a good job of shifting our football culture closer to where we want to be after Moorhead ruined it. We unfortunately hired Leach about 5 or so years too late though.

The Cooterpoot

Sep 29, 2022
Seth Meyers Lol GIF by Late Night with Seth Meyers

QMartinez

Jan 17, 2023
Yes, Leach will be a HOF coach. And had great success at TT & WSU. We didn’t get that version of Leach though. There’s also a reason he spent close to 20 years at Texas Tech & Washington State. It was a safe hire by Cohen after reaching on Moorhead and missing.

Leach did a good job of shifting our football culture closer to where we want to be after Moorhead ruined it. We unfortunately hired Leach about 5 or so years too late though.
leach was in his third full season, going 9-4 after having to clean up the mess slow Jo left.

Nice try at rewriting history though.

Ill never understand the little group of people who hated and slandered Leach so unfairly.

retire the banner

Dec 29, 2022
leach was in his third full season, going 9-4 after having to clean up the mess slow Jo left.

Nice try at rewriting history though.

Ill never understand the little group of people who hated and slandered Leach so unfairly.
Who’s slandering Leach? I just said he’s a HOF coach who did a good job of reshaping our culture. We unfortunately hired him on the tail end of his career and he tragically had health problems.

Please continue to be so fragile.

mcdawg22

Sep 18, 2004
Better than LT, worse than Byrne and Stricklin. That’s the nicest thing I can say.
Stricklin’s reputation must be heavily dependent on Vic. In his years here we didn’t go to the NCAA in men’s. We went to one CWS. And non revenue sports suuuucked. He was the one that hurt Gameday experience with all of the ads. He also put students in the upper deck.

Look at Florida now. The baseball team has underachieved. The basketball team is mediocre and the football team is as well.

dawgoneyall

Nov 11, 2007
He vote uofm into the baseball tourney last year…..they were the last in.

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006
Friends, Sixpackers, countrymen, lend me your ears;

I come to bury Cohen, not to praise him.

The evil that men do lives after them;

The good is oft interred with their bones;

So let it be with Cohen. The noble Brutius

Hath told you Cohen was ambitious:

If it were so, it was a grievous fault,

And grievously hath Cohen answer’d it.

Here, under leave of Brutius and the rest–

For Brutius is an honourable man;

So are they all, all honourable men–

Come I to speak in Cohen’s funeral.

He was my friend, faithful and just to me:

But Brutius says he was ambitious;

And Brutius is an honourable man.

He hath brought many captives home to Rome

Whose ransoms did the general coffers fill:

Did this in Cohen seem ambitious?

When that the poor have cried, Cohen hath wept:

Ambition should be made of sterner stuff:

Yet Brutius says he was ambitious;

You all did see that on the Junction

I thrice presented him a cigar,

Which he did thrice refuse: was this ambition?

And, sure, he is an honourable man.

I speak not to disprove what Brutius spoke,

But here I am to speak what I do know.

You all did love him once, not without cause:

What cause withholds you then, to mourn for him?

O judgment! thou art fled to brutish beasts,

And men have lost their reason. Bear with me;

My heart is in the coffin there with Cohen,

And I must pause till it come back to me.

($1 to Shakespeare & the noble Brutius wherever he is)

The Peeper

Feb 26, 2008
Cohen never had the people skills / personality to be he AD.
This was my big sticking point w/ him. I didn't want a card on my birthday or any phone calls from him, etc. But I really got tired of watching him walking around w/ a cell phone stuck to his ear at baseball and basketball games and ignoring fans. Him and whatever his significant other identifies as would walk in late to EVERY basketball game from the tunnel and take a seat on the court and never talk to anyone. At halftime they would head for the tunnel again. At baseball games he would walk in through the centerfield gate where the equipment is stored and w/ cell phone on ear and walk straight to the dugout so he didn't have to talk to fans in the outfield or bleacher seats. I don't recall ever seeing him at a football game or any of the small venue events like soccer, softball, etc. He just wasn't a people person which I think you HAVE to be in that position. I saw Selmon hanging out in the outfield this past weekend talking to fans during the game, never saw Cohen doing that. I'm sure there are a few exceptions to my observances but these were the norm. I've also seen Jans, Purcell, and Arnett already this year making the rounds in the outfield too.

BingleCocktail

May 25, 2014

if i wanted to hear more shakespeare i would have attended english litrature in carpenter hall more regularly

PLEEZE DONUT POLLUTE THIS CHATRUM WITH THIS TRIPE.

we have standards at SPS. and you have overshot those way too far.

that is all.

The Peeper

Feb 26, 2008

story of our times not reading that GIF by Trevor Moore

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
if i wanted to hear more shakespeare i would have attended english litrature in carpenter hall more regularly

PLEEZE DONUT POLLUTE THIS CHATRUM WITH THIS TRIPE.

we have standards at SPS. and you have overshot those way too far.

that is all.
This goof-tarded circle jerk that you Eagle and Cook routinely take part in around here is pretty much the second most annoying thing going on this website, with every glfr post taking the #1 spot collectively.

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006
This goof-tarded circle jerk that you Eagle and Cook routinely take part in around here is pretty much the second most annoying thing going on this website, with every glfr post taking the #1 spot collectively.
Traditions are often annoying.

That's why they're traditions.

Thebulldogcountry1

Nov 6, 2022
I don't understand how people keep defending the Cannizaro hire. His resume at the time was 2 years as an assistant at LSU. No way we should have handed the keys to our program to someone so inexperienced. Cohen was just afraid to rock the coaching boat in the middle of fall practice. Fast forward to the next year and Cohen is going after the best college HCs in the country. Our fans would have lost their minds if we had hired ANY assistant coach.

Plus, it should have been easy to find out any potential problems that Cannizaro would have. Yet, here we are in 2023 with fans still defending the hire. How many of them know that he got FIRED from his high school coaching position last year?

Reactions: Cantdoitsal

BingleCocktail

May 25, 2014
YER FRAUDIAN SLIP IS SHOWING. ALSO TAKE THE DAMB HOOK OUT OF YER MOUTH ALREADY. PIERCINGS ARE SO 15 MINITS AGO

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
I don't understand how people keep defending the Cannizaro hire.
Because it worked out? Because the hiring, and firing, didn't cause any real problems in the program? After his hiring, we go to a Super, CWS, CWS, very good team in COVID year, national champs.

Nothing happening now is due to Cannizaro. The biggest issue right now is injuries last year, and maybe some shaky COVID crootin.

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006
YER FRAUDIAN SLIP IS SHOWING. ALSO TAKE THE DAMB HOOK OUT OF YER MOUTH ALREADY. PIERCINGS ARE SO 15 MINITS AGO
Oh geez.

Goat — @Drebin knows this some too since he’s familiar with the community but…

RSFC 101: NEVER troll the Troll.

This ain’t gonna be pretty.

#inbeforethelock

Ranchdawg

Dec 13, 2012
I thought Cohen did a much better job than Templeton. I didn't like Templeton and Patdog said he was better than his predecessors. If that is true then we were in the Sh*t can before him.

Getting back to Cohen my take is he improved Softball, M&W Golf, Soccer, MBB, BB (NC), WBB with Purcell and football during his tenure. If I'm looking just at the way all the sports and coaches have performed as a whole then I think he was successful. Evidently Auburn felt the same. This was his first job as an AD so I expected some slip ups but overall better than average IMHO. I hate we lost Vic but I've heard some interesting information on that issue.

Cantdoitsal

Sep 26, 2022
Because it worked out? Because the hiring, and firing, didn't cause any real problems in the program? After his hiring, we go to a Super, CWS, CWS, very good team in COVID year, national champs.

Nothing happening now is due to Cannizaro. The biggest issue right now is injuries last year, and maybe some shaky COVID crootin.
Don't blame poor 'crootin' on Covid cuz erybody else had Covid too.

retire the banner

Dec 29, 2022
I thought Cohen did a much better job than Templeton. I didn't like Templeton and Patdog said he was better than his predecessors. If that is true then we were in the Sh*t can before him.

Getting back to Cohen my take is he improved Softball, M&W Golf, Soccer, MBB, BB (NC), WBB with Purcell and football during his tenure. If I'm looking just at the way all the sports and coaches have performed as a whole then I think he was successful. Evidently Auburn felt the same. This was his first job as an AD so I expected some slip ups but overall better than average IMHO. I hate we lost Vic but I've heard some interesting information on that issue.
Cohen did not improve football. And he sat on his *** for 5 years with MBB until he made a good hire with Jans, and then bailed before he even coached his first game. 17 Cohen

Last edited:

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
Don't blame poor 'crootin' on Covid cuz erybody else had Covid too.
You’re right, we may have come out on the wrong side of that. But the point is, it didn’t have anything to do with Cannizzaro.

This isn’t about Lemonis’ recrootin. We are talking about Cannizzaro here.

Theconnormead

Jan 26, 2023
If you separate his whole body of work, to me it looks like this:
  • As a coach he super-charged our baseball program. For all the great things Polk did and has done, Polk 2.0 was a disaster - Ole Miss should send him a monthly check, their rise coincided with 2.0.
  • As an AD he had highs and lows:
    • Moorhead was a disaster but he moved on fast so I will give him credit there. The theory behind the Leach hire I understand, we needed to move into the passing world, just think we got Leach 5 years late. Wish we would have gotten the TT Leach, however I think we are in good shape where he left us and with ZA.​
    • WBB DISASTER - Don't know and nor care what happened with VS but you have to figure it out. He was the best coach we have ever had and you have to make it work... I know the rumors, but Rainmakers get treated differently (in all aspects of business and life). And to follow it up with MMP!!! Would love to know the real story about her stepping down.​
    • MBB Howland had to fix what Ray destroyed and that's a hard road. I think we are in great shape with Jans.​
    • Baseball who knows, Lemonis walked into a locker room full of talent and a several Alpha Dogs, right now it looks like we have some talent and no Alphas. I think how Lemonis shakes out will ultimately decide how he is remembered.​
    • NIL - think he was slow to move and we are way behind where we would have been with AD that has and uses his connections (next point). I think Charlie and crew have done an amazing job with likely little help from Cohen. This is an area where we are one of the poorest schools in the SEC and could not afford to be late...yet here we are.​
    • He did an absolute terrible job of connecting. My understand is / was he did not try to cultivate relationships with major donors and did not seek their council which is crucial at any university, much less one where every dollar matters. With great connections he could have kicked off the NIL and saved so much time and effort.​
    • His wife - She is likely the reason most don't or didn't like him, including major donors. I don't care what you are or identify as but for the love of cheese and crackers know your freaking room and either she did not know or simply did not give a 17.... I'm going with did not give a 17. She basically gave the middle finger to one of the most conservative alumni bases in the SEC. I think she is just pissed that she really likes cock.​
  • Overall a passing grade but much of the negative negates the positive

retire the banner

Dec 29, 2022
If you separate his whole body of work, to me it looks like this:
  • As a coach he super-charged our baseball program. For all the great things Polk did and has done, Polk 2.0 was a disaster - Ole Miss should send him a monthly check, their rise coincided with 2.0.
  • As an AD he had highs and lows:
    • Moorhead was a disaster but he moved on fast so I will give him credit there. The theory behind the Leach hire I understand, we needed to move into the passing world, just think we got Leach 5 years late. Wish we would have gotten the TT Leach, however I think we are in good shape where he left us and with ZA.​
    • WBB DISASTER - Don't know and nor care what happened with VS but you have to figure it out. He was the best coach we have ever had and you have to make it work... I know the rumors, but Rainmakers get treated differently (in all aspects of business and life). And to follow it up with MMP!!! Would love to know the real story about her stepping down.​
    • MBB Howland had to fix what Ray destroyed and that's a hard road. I think we are in great shape with Jans.​
    • Baseball who knows, Lemonis walked into a locker room full of talent and a several Alpha Dogs, right now it looks like we have some talent and no Alphas. I think how Lemonis shakes out will ultimately decide how he is remembered.​
    • NIL - think he was slow to move and we are way behind where we would have been with AD that has and uses his connections (next point). I think Charlie and crew have done an amazing job with likely little help from Cohen. This is an area where we are one of the poorest schools in the SEC and could not afford to be late...yet here we are.​
    • He did an absolute terrible job of connecting. My understand is / was he did not try to cultivate relationships with major donors and did not seek their council which is crucial at any university, much less one where every dollar matters. With great connections he could have kicked off the NIL and saved so much time and effort.​
    • His wife - She is likely the reason most don't or didn't like him, including major donors. I don't care what you are or identify as but for the love of cheese and crackers know your freaking room and either she did not know or simply did not give a 17.... I'm going with did not give a 17. She basically gave the middle finger to one of the most conservative alumni bases in the SEC. I think she is just pissed that she really likes cock.​
  • Overall a passing grade but much of the negative negates the positive
Pretty solid breakdown here

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login