Cold blooded part of me

aTotal360

Nov 12, 2009
Says Bama isn't doing anything wrong. They are simply refusing to overstep the law. And Jay Bilas (who I don't like) said it best. They somewhat have a responsibility to protect "their own". This whole "basketball is a privilege, not a right" talk is hyperbole and just hot air for talking heads to spout off their opinions.

I actually think Bama has their focus set on potentially spinning their administration's reaction as a positive recruiting story. They are backing their guy 100%. They aren't bending the knee to social media pressure. They are pro-player. Once you are in the family, we will have your back. They will work in conjunction with the law and not overstep those penalties. Period. The end.

I honestly think this could work very well in the living room.

8dog

Feb 23, 2008
Says Bama isn't doing anything wrong. They are simply refusing to overstep the law. And Jay Bilas (who I don't like) said it best. They somewhat have a responsibility to protect "their own". This whole "basketball is a privilege, not a right" talk is hyperbole and just hot air for talking heads to spout off their opinions.

I actually think Bama has their focus set on potentially spinning their administration's reaction as a positive recruiting story. They are backing their guy 100%. They aren't bending the knee to social media pressure. They are pro-player. Once you are in the family, we will have your back. They will work in conjunction with the law and not overstep those penalties. Period. The end.

My issue is mostly how Oats handled it. He should have just said “there is a legal investigation and I can’t comment”. But the “wrong place wrong time comment” was so dumb. Then acting like no one had any idea about the pat down intro is just insulting. Id like to know if he is really drawing up plays during intros—-the game hasnt started. What is he drawing up?

I also think the “well kids make mistakes” or “he didn’t know what the gun was for” stuff is off the charts stupidity

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006
I agree with 360

8– When was that wrong place wrong time comment made? Postgame interview or weekly interview?

I’d argue that postgame could be a bad time but weekly press interview would be open game.

8dog

Feb 23, 2008
I agree with 360

8– When was that wrong place wrong time comment made? Postgame interview or weekly interview?

I’d argue that postgame could be a bad time but weekly press interview would be open game.

I think it was his weekly presser but I am not positive.

Reactions: Maroon Eagle

FQDawg

May 1, 2006
My issue is that, for almost anyone else in the country, bringing a gun to someone who uses it to commit a murder would get you an accessory charge at minimum. But, in this instance, it's being spun as just a poor kid being the victim of some bad luck.

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
My issue is that, for almost anyone else in the country, bringing a gun to someone who uses it to commit a murder would get you an accessory charge at minimum. But, in this instance, it's being spun as just a poor kid being the victim of some bad luck.
My thing is that there are legal facts that could make the decision to not even charge him the correct one, but if Bama were really looking out for him, they would suspend him and try to help him understand he's a 17ing idiot that is going to throw away a huge gift because he can't separate himself from people that are going to ruin his life. He doesn't need to be hanging out with morons that are carrying guns. He doesn't need to "keep it real" with the ******** pat down intro. He's a multimillionaire in the making and they are letting him go down a self destructive path with no consequences and apparently no guidance.

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022
They wouldn’t be overstepping anything by suspending two guys that were allegedly involved in the incident until the legal process is complete. Nobody is calling for them to be kicked out of school or kicked off the team. But college basketball simply isn’t that serious.

Reactions: Dawgg and patdog

grimedawg1

Aug 25, 2012

If Bama continues to march a long way in the tournament, I think the media attention will become white hot. I suspect it will make the initial news stories about this pale in comparison because it will become more than a sports story. Then, it becomes an issue far beyond athletics for the entire school administration.

patdog

May 28, 2007
Exactly. I would be in jail, and so would you.

The Peeper

Feb 26, 2008
"They are backing their guy 100%. They aren't bending the knee to social media pressure. They are pro-player. Once you are in the family, we will have your back."

Are we to assume this part of the statement is for the parents that expect their kid to get in trouble while in college? Do parents and students really consider that when choosing the place they go to school?

aTotal360

Nov 12, 2009
"They are backing their guy 100%. They aren't bending the knee to social media pressure. They are pro-player. Once you are in the family, we will have your back."

Are we to assume this part of the statement is for the parents that expect their kid to get in trouble while in college? Do parents and students really consider that when choosing the place they go to school?
I think it's a message. Take it how you will. Bama is ABC. Always be crootin.

Bobby Ricigliano

Jul 27, 2011
My thing is that there are legal facts that could make the decision to not even charge him the correct one, but if Bama were really looking out for him, they would suspend him and try to help him understand he's a 17ing idiot that is going to throw away a huge gift because he can't separate himself from people that are going to ruin his life. He doesn't need to be hanging out with morons that are carrying guns. He doesn't need to "keep it real" with the ******** pat down intro. He's a multimillionaire in the making and they are letting him go down a self destructive path with no consequences and apparently no guidance.
So, in part, he shouldn't hang out with his teammates?

(warning: this comment is a shot at Bama, not you...)

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
So, in part, he shouldn't hang out with his teammates?

(warning: this comment is a shot at Bama, not you...)
I was thinking Miles was already off the team at that point, which may be wrong. But yes, if a team mate is carrying around a gun, he should get the 17 away. But it does make it harder for Bama to discipline him for that when I'm sure there were signs that was the type of person they were bringing into the program.

Dawgzilla2

Oct 9, 2022
I’m not so sure about that. In Alabama, as in most states, a person is only considered an accessory if they intended to assist or allow the crime to occur.

On the one hand, it is highly suspicious for your drunk friend to ask you to come pick him up, and then later request you bring his gun. I might bring the guy’s gun for fear he is in trouble, but I wouldn’t hand it over without finding out what was happening.

OTOH, there is no evidence that Miller knew what the situation was, and he was at the scene for less than 2 minutes before the shooting started. Where is his intent to allow a murder to take place?

If this happened to anyone else, they would be brought in for questioning. But they probably wouldn’t be arrested based just on these facts. They would be released pending further investigation.

Granted, there are some jurisdictions where one might get arrested just because, but they would likely be released the next day.

That said, I think he should have been held out a couple games 5 weeks ago, when this happened. It doesn’t make sense to suspend him now just because it became public.

Dawgg

Sep 9, 2012
"Ma'am, nothin' and I mean nothin' is gonna keep your son off the court. Your son could do anything short of murder and I will make sure he keeps on playing. I mean literally ANYTHING just short of murder. He can come SO close to murder. SOOOOO close. Murder could be Jackson and your son could be Ridgeland and he will still get on the court. I cannot stress how much we are going to look the other way from any potential legal problems to keep your son on the court.

.... Also, if he does murder somebody, we are still going to keep him on the court until he's convicted. If he's convicted, he has to leave the team because after all, we run a very disciplined program. Well... not necessarily when he's convicted, but when he's sentenced. Well.. maybe not sentenced, but when he has to actually report to prison and has no possibility of early parole. We're gonna take care of your son, ma'am and make him a better man."

Reactions: patdog

LordMcBuckethead

Sep 30, 2022
They wouldn’t be overstepping anything by suspending two guys that were allegedly involved in the incident until the legal process is complete. Nobody is calling for them to be kicked out of school or kicked off the team. But college basketball simply isn’t that serious.
Until he is charged with something, there is nothing to punish. Sorry, that is the world. Innocent until proven guilty.

Now it is 100% fair game to discuss how ****** Alabama is on all social media sites until the chickens come home to roost. Fair game as this is public opinion and not a court of law. Bama's association with this situation is primed for exploitation, in my opinion. Also chanting lock him up and booing him every time he touches the ball is also fair game by fans. Even without charges being brought, he was part of that situation and I see nothing wrong with visiting fans giving him **** for it.

Dawgg

Sep 9, 2012
Also chanting lock him up and booing him every time he touches the ball is also fair game by fans. Even without charges being brought, he was part of that situation and I see nothing wrong with visiting fans giving him **** for it.
In 30 years, they'll have a documentary about how awful Mississippi State fans were to him, then show clips of Bama playing Ole Miss.

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022
Hard to discipline a kid charged with nothing.

Seriously? Come on now. Kids get suspended games for being 1 minute late for a team meeting, skipping workouts, missing a class, etc. There are two players here that brought a murder weapon to a murder scene, and blocked the egress route for a vehicle being shot at by other members of their party. The team or the university could most certainly discipline them any number of ways and be well within their rights to do so.

MSUDAWGFAN

Apr 17, 2014
Until he is charged with something, there is nothing to punish. Sorry, that is the world. Innocent until proven guilty.
When did Darius Miles get due process? Oh, he didn't. Because playing on a college basketball team doesn't require you due process.

Years ago, there was a walk on at Alabama's football team who had been arrested for domestic violence over the weekend. Without due process or anything else (because again, due process doesn't apply when being on a sports team) Nick Saban came out in his Monday press conference and said "He is off the teram because that's not who we are!" and even pounded the podium when he said it. Well, I'm glad - really glad - that he had raised his standards. Maybe it was the #MeToo era that got to him. Maybe he just realized he was a scumbag of a person. Maybe it was the fear of being blasted in the media. I don't know, but what I do know is that when it was Courtney Upshaw (who ended up going in the second round) domestic violence was for da mn sure who they were then.

Sep 15, 2009

Now it is 100% fair game to discuss how ****** Alabama is on all social media sites until the chickens come home to roost. Fair game as this is public opinion and not a court of law. Bama's association with this situation is primed for exploitation, in my opinion. Also chanting lock him up and booing him every time he touches the ball is also fair game by fans. Even without charges being brought, he was part of that situation and I see nothing wrong with visiting fans giving him **** for it.
Everyone is missing the issue right in front of their face. I am sure it is against school policy to have a gun on campus. I assume he lived on campus as an athlete, and maybe it was never on campus - but those are the questions someone should be asking. Any other student would face some discipline for having or transporting a gun on campus if it is indeed against school policy. Hell, they suspend players for missing class. But not if you are a lottery pick.

aTotal360

Nov 12, 2009
Seriously? Come on now. Kids get suspended games for being 1 minute late for a team meeting, skipping workouts, missing a class, etc. There are two players here that brought a murder weapon to a murder scene, and blocked the egress route for a vehicle being shot at by other members of their party. The team or the university could most certainly discipline them any number of ways and be well within their rights to do so.
That's sort of my point. Bama (certainly) isn't taking a moral stance and I somewhat don't blame them. They are just doing what is best for their team's performance and what is legal. I think administrations get into hot water when they start ham handily punishing people. The juice isn't worth the squeeze a lot of times.

Here's the reality. NO MATTER WHAT BAMA DOES, THE INTERWEBZ WILL STILL BE PISSED.

That's why I'm a fan of doing nothing and saying nothing. "We are handling it internally. We have no more to report. Next question."

I understand everyone wants the world to operate on their world's purview, but that simply isn't going to happen based on the amount of money at stake here. I'm sure if they were under .500, he'd be gone.

MSUDAWGFAN

Apr 17, 2014
You think Oats would put up with this if Miller was a walk on? Really? Really? No, he would have been kicked off the team. How's that for punishment even though no charges have been brought against him.

Read the article, because this is exactly what I think. I also think Oats will be fired because of how he handled this (think Dave Bliss at Baylor) and maybe even Byrne and the President Stuart Bell.

SouthFarmchicken

Oct 20, 2016
This. I have had a client drop off friends at Burger King to eat and be charged with conspiracy and accessory. The friends sat down to eat and later got into a fight that resulted in a death.

It’s ridiculous that people are overcharged but it’s done to have people snitch. But absolutely, Miller should’ve been charged under the police standards of today.

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022
That's sort of my point. Bama (certainly) isn't taking a moral stance and I somewhat don't blame them. They are just doing what is best for their team's performance and what is legal. I think administrations get into hot water when they start ham handily punishing people. The juice isn't worth the squeeze a lot of times.

Here's the reality. NO MATTER WHAT BAMA DOES, THE INTERWEBZ WILL STILL BE PISSED.

That's why I'm a fan of doing nothing and saying nothing. "We are handling it internally. We have no more to report. Next question."

I understand everyone wants the world to operate on their world's purview, but that simply isn't going to happen based on the amount of money at stake here. I'm sure if they were under .500, he'd be gone.

Except they did take a selective moral stance with Miles. On paper, he’s just as innocent as the other 2 guys. He’s being charged with capital murder, but wasn’t even the one pulling the trigger according to police. Why was he treated differently? Because he was a burnable asset that would allow them to pretend to GAF. Its hypocrisy.

Reactions: wdawg44 and patdog

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022
Here is the most damning op-ed I’ve seen yet. A lot of great questions raised here regarding who’s decision it was to play or not play Miller. Byrne said “we all made it”, which really means nobody made it. A bunch of figureheads collectively decided to not make a tough choice at all either way, so there’d be no individual blame for anyone. Pretty pathetic from the alleged leaders of the university.

Reactions: patdog

Ranchdawg

Dec 13, 2012

Remember the black eye FSU got defending Jameis Winston? I don't think there is any way Alabama wins with this situation.

greenbean.sixpack

Oct 6, 2012
My issue is mostly how Oats handled it. He should have just said “there is a legal investigation and I can’t comment”.
This is how every coach and AD should respond in almost every situation. Everything blow overs, in our current landscape it's usually sooner rather than later. One of the issues that some think lead to Freeze's downfall was Freeze claiming Tunsil was protecting his mother from his step-father, when it turns out it was mostly likely a squabble over agents. Freeze accused the step father of being a domestic abuser, when he simply should have said what is stated above.

ckDOG

Dec 11, 2007
I was okay with the stance of remaining quiet and letting the facts and story develop before any action taken (assuming this wasn't a straw that broke the camel's back deal).

Where I draw the line is the little lineup introduction stunt last weekend. Mocking the situation is ridiculous and disrespectful to the family recovering from the murder of a daughter. Very entitled attitude after, at best, a major screwup in judgment.

Him not facing any inconvenience or repercussion in this whole deal is going to do him more harm long term. He's going to think he's invincible. Which for the time being it appears he is...until he doesn't something else dumb - which I'd put money on now being inevitable.

paindonthurt

Jun 27, 2009
I agree with 360

It was post game or post practice and they claim they didn’t have the new info yet.

I still think Brandon Miller is a POS, but I don’t have a problem with how Bama has handled it so far other than oats being “oblivious” to some things.

Reactions: Maroon Eagle
Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login