College athletes are officially professional paid players now with NIL

onewoof

Mar 4, 2008
Not that many ever were, it's just fully public now, there is your average player salaries per team.

Screenshot_20230711-164236.png

There's the list of recruits getting the most money:

Screenshot_20230711-164334.png

These are the highest paid "non professional" atheletes today:

Screenshot_20230711-164401.png

LSU working that internet drama machine with those two no doubt.

Last edited:
Reactions: Pea River Dawg

Seinfeld

Nov 30, 2006
If the NFL were to finally develop a legitimate development league similar to the NBA's G League, allowing a lot of these guys to become legitimate professional right out of HS, I wonder if this would resolve anything or if these same schools would just end up spending all this money on the next crop of kids.

Leeshouldveflanked

Nov 12, 2016
1. They were paid before NIL as well.
2. Those figures are heavily inflated. They are estimated NIL values.
3. Livvy Dunne is making her money with endorsements. About $30K per Instagram post.
4. Arch Manning hasn’t made a $1 with NIL, yet.

Last edited:
Reactions: patdog

karlchilders.sixpack

Jun 5, 2008
1. They were paid before NIL as well.
2. Those figures are heavily inflated. They are estimated NIL values.
3. Livvy Dunne is making her money with endorsements. About $30K per Instagram post.
4. Arch Manning hasn’t made a $1 with NIL, yet.
Saban said Brice Young was a millionaire before he ever took his first snap in a game.

Clay Lyle

Sep 30, 2022
Those numbers are just projections of what they believe the athletes/rosters are worth based on social media followers.

No one really knows who’s being paid what. Just that the schools that used to pay the most under the table are now doing it through NIL with no NCAA sanction risk.

greenbean.sixpack

Oct 6, 2012
If the NFL were to finally develop a legitimate development league similar to the NBA's G League, allowing a lot of these guys to become legitimate professional right out of HS, I wonder if this would resolve anything or if these same schools would just end up spending all this money on the next crop of kids.
already got it, it's called the SEC.

IBleedMaroonDawg

Nov 12, 2007
The NIL has made the top 12 wealthiest teams a little more level with each other, while the rest of us will be SOL most years. Teams like ours will make some noise occasionally when we get the right mix of players we made the right bet on or develop into something special. The trick will be holding on. to them when one of the big boys dangles pictures of big money bags under the table.

As good as the NIL will be for the average player, what level of pressure will fall on the shoulders of the big boys? It should be, especially in the peanut and social media galleries.

Seinfeld

Nov 30, 2006
already got it, it's called the SEC.
Yeah, I was thinking about why the NBA created the G league(then the D league) in the first place, and there were several good reasons. It gave kids that had no interest in class work a secondary option, it provides them with coaches and training geared towards actual development as opposed to being around a bunch of saavy recruiters, and it gave NBA teams a vastly improved way to manage their rosters.

With football, I don’t think much of this applies because college football fills the majority of the needs. Granted, the NFL can’t relocate a guy the don’t need yet back to the SEC, but there’s much less chance of this being a need when most of these kids are 21 or 22 before they even make it to the league.

A long way of saying I agree that an NFL run minor league football is probably a long way off

GloryDawg

Mar 3, 2005
The same school are getting the same players they would have gotten anyways without NIL but having to pay more. Good for them. It really didn't change the land scape all that much. I think the only school to get hurt was Clemson. I think the transfer portal has done more to change college football than NIL.

Seinfeld

Nov 30, 2006
The NIL has made the top 12 wealthiest teams a little more level with each other, while the rest of us will be SOL most years. Teams like ours will make some noise occasionally when we get the right mix of players we made the right bet on or develop into something special. The trick will be holding on. to them when one of the big boys dangles pictures of big money bags under the table.

As good as the NIL will be for the average player, what level of pressure will fall on the shoulders of the big boys? It should be, especially in the peanut and social media galleries.
This is pretty much the way I feel. You had to have money to recruit well before NIL, but you also had to have a certain type of coaching staff, administration, and network set up to properly play the game. Granted, a lot of guys would’ve never been hired in the first place without a commitment to do so, but I do think schools occasionally ran into some guys that just weren’t willing to do it.

With NIL, it just opened things up for any school with $ to buy players without fear of recourse, and I feel like we’re seeing it in the rankings. Sure, Texas and Bama were there before, but A&M landing one of the top classes in the history of college football would’ve never happened pre-NIL. At least I don’t believe so

Pilgrimdawg

Aug 30, 2018
If they have to file a tax return with NIL income they are professional athletes. Period. End of story. It also helps speed up the end of college sports as we know it.

Reactions: onewoof

Seinfeld

Nov 30, 2006
If they have to file a tax return with NIL income they are professional athletes. Period. End of story. It also helps speed up the end of college sports as we know it.
I can’t seem to find the story now, but I read a really interesting write up a month or so ago about the possible pitfalls of this. I mean, it sounds simple enough. If you earn additional income, you put it in a tax return.

However, the trouble isn’t so much about that as it is the point in time when these kids are officially labeled as employees. When that happens, and it seems inevitable, it opens up a massive can of worms with fair labor laws, equitable pay, etc. After all, how is congress going to allow one group of kids to be paid $150k while thousands of other kids putting in the same work either get nothing or very little? I’m no legal expert so I can’t pretend to understand all implications, but the article made it clear that universities are doing their damndest to prevent college athletes from being labeled employees for a lot of reasons

Reactions: Pilgrimdawg

kired

Aug 22, 2008
Going to be interesting when the players start getting paid more than coaches. In pro sports you have a whole organization with ownership and management keeping things somewhat in check. But college teams have historically been controlled by the head coach and AD. Boosters are going to have even more influence than they previously did now that they are funding these NILs and huge salaries.

Reactions: Pilgrimdawg

Pilgrimdawg

Aug 30, 2018
I’ll tell ya, if a booster is dumb enough to give huge money to a 18 year old kid to play ball only to have many of them threaten to transfer the next year if they don’t get even more money, then they get what they deserve. Remember the old saying, a fool and his money are soon parted. If they want to give them big money so that they can brag about it at the next cocktail party, then more power to ‘em. My wife and I worked our a$$ off for ours and we are not about to throw it away. Opinions will vary and to each his own.

Reactions: Dawg1976

patdog

May 28, 2007
I’ll tell ya, if a booster is dumb enough to give huge money to a 18 year old kid to play ball only to have many of them threaten to transfer the next year if they don’t get even more money, then they get what they deserve. Remember the old saying, a fool and his money are soon parted. If they want to give them big money so that they can brag about it at the next cocktail party, then more power to ‘em. My wife and I worked our a$$ off for ours and we are not about to throw it away. Opinions will vary and to each his own.
It's really no dumber than giving money to the Bulldog Club. In fact, it's smarter than giving money to the BC because your dollars directly affect wins and losses. I increased my giving by 40% this year with most of it going to the Initiative (BC donation was cut 60%).

QuadrupleOption

Aug 21, 2012
I can’t seem to find the story now, but I read a really interesting write up a month or so ago about the possible pitfalls of this. I mean, it sounds simple enough. If you earn additional income, you put it in a tax return.

However, the trouble isn’t so much about that as it is the point in time when these kids are officially labeled as employees. When that happens, and it seems inevitable, it opens up a massive can of worms with fair labor laws, equitable pay, etc. After all, how is congress going to allow one group of kids to be paid $150k while thousands of other kids putting in the same work either get nothing or very little? I’m no legal expert so I can’t pretend to understand all implications, but the article made it clear that universities are doing their damndest to prevent college athletes from being labeled employees for a lot of reasons

Sports is basically like being in entertainment. You get paid based on eyeballs watching you perform. People in entertainment get paid different amounts for doing the same job all the time. It all depends on what you bring to the table and how much revenue you generate.

Football and men's basketball players earn more because they generate far more money than other sports.

This is the same argument that women's soccer players tried to trot out a couple years back when they were complaining about the "pay disparity". You ultimately earn what you are worth in a free market. As long as you aren't being paid less because of things you can't control (race, sex, etc.) then it should be fine.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
Saban said Brice Young was a millionaire before he ever took his first snap in a game.
This, and the OP, shows why the shock jock media stays in business. You believe the bullshizz. You’re not even careful to step around it.

“Saban says”. That’s makes it true? Then you have this article? Where do they get their info?

NIL is so overblown, and its effect will get smaller in time as boosters get sick of doing it. And just wait for the first real recession…

travis.sixpack

Mar 3, 2008
Those numbers are just projections of what they believe the athletes/rosters are worth based on social media followers.

No one really knows who’s being paid what. Just that the schools that used to pay the most under the table are now doing it through NIL with no NCAA sanction risk.
Correct. On3 has some cockamamie formula for NIL value. I read Arch Manning isn't taking NIL money.

Pilgrimdawg

Aug 30, 2018
It's really no dumber than giving money to the Bulldog Club. In fact, it's smarter than giving money to the BC because your dollars directly affect wins and losses. I increased my giving by 40% this year with most of it going to the Initiative (BC donation was cut 60%).
Hey, to each his own. I will continue to donate to the Bulldog Club and they can spend it as they see fit. I don’t plan to donate directly to the initiative. I have been attending Bulldog sports since 1961 but my interest in attending is waining rapidly these days. Use to be that athletes loved their school for life. They would bleed maroon and white forever. Tears would flow on Senior night. Where is the loyalty and passion nowadays? It’s still there for some but mostly it appears to be gone. Pay me more. What have you done for me lately? Baseball is the exception with minimal scholarships to share, but a paid for college education is a valuable thing. That’s not bad compensation if you ask me. Is that enough? Perhaps not, but any pay or stipend should be for all. A special running back gets a zillion dollars, but the guards, tackles, and center that blocks for him gets squat? Is that right? Perhaps I am in the minority on this, and that’s ok with me. Like it said, to each his own. Don’t mean to pass judgement on those that see it differently. I think me and my wife joined the Bulldog Club in either 1979 or 1980. I hate to think about how much total money I have given in the last 40 plus years. We will just continue to give that way until we are done.

Reactions: thatsbaseball

Cantdoitsal

Sep 26, 2022

True except for legal technical aspects that say they are paid advertisers for entities outside athletic departments. They need to be W-2'd employees by the schools with NCAA Mandated salary caps. The contracts should stipulate no outside compensation which would be a difficult legal path but conflicts of interest arguments might prevail. Contracts would have transfer restrictions as well.

Reactions: onewoof

thatsbaseball

May 29, 2007
When the rumors about Dakota were swirling I couldn't help but think that for a lot of kids this NIL money is a God send for their families. I know overall it's bad for college sports and will probably end up destroying it but from what I know about Dakota, if he got a chunk of money, it went straight to his family whom I think can really use it and for that I'm happy for him.

karlchilders.sixpack

Jun 5, 2008
This, and the OP, shows why the shock jock media stays in business. You believe the bullshizz. You’re not even careful to step around it.

“Saban says”. That’s makes it true? Then you have this article? Where do they get their info?

NIL is so overblown, and its effect will get smaller in time as boosters get sick of doing it. And just wait for the first real recession…
I heard Saban say it. I was a bit in disbelief. Like huh!

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
I heard Saban say it. I was a bit in disbelief. Like huh!
All he was doing was self serving recruiting. He never he’d never have to prove anything. And all he would have to tell future recruits who call him on it would be “hey you have to work hard, blah blah blah”…

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login