College basketball is such an unbelievably putrid product

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022
For starters, its just horrid basketball. Bumbling errors all over the place. Turnovers, bad shots, mental lapses, etc. From both teams in any game. Same NIL horseshít as football making it not really possible to connect personally with very many players any given year.

The officiating is even worse. Every game is the same nonsense….the home team shoots 2 to 3 times as many free throws as the road team. Just blatant bias from guys that are profoundly affected by the crowd while doing a part time job….with their normal job being a supervisor at a Wendy’s. Everybody wants to talk about paying the players with TV money. How about paying to have real officials?

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
It's the analytics in my opinion. Bomb 3s or easy layups. And the tall guys can hit the 3s nowadays.

Same as baseball, but baseball is now MUCH more boring because it's power pitching for strikeouts, while a few guys bomb home runs.

In both, you're basically looking for a select few players that do the things above. Defense is an after thought.

Football is subject to it too, but not really as much. The move towards passing it all over the yard has a lot to do with how the game is officiated now to protect QBs and WRs over the middle. Football still appears to be a similar game as before. Basketball kind of in the middle. But baseball is a shell of itself.

Reactions: CoachQ68

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022
It's the analytics in my opinion. Bomb 3s or easy layups. And the tall guys can hit the 3s nowadays.

Same as baseball, but baseball is now MUCH more boring because it's power pitching for strikeouts, while a few guys bomb home runs.

In both, you're basically looking for a select few players that do the things above. Defense is an after thought.

Football is subject to it too, but not really as much. The move towards passing it all over the yard has a lot to do with how the game is officiated now to protect QBs and WRs over the middle. Football still appears to be a similar game as before. Basketball kind of in the middle. But baseball is a shell of itself.
That’s certainly a big part of it. But even the analytics impact would be easier to stomach if the execution was better. NBA is just far superior. NFL / MLB are both obviously superior to their college counterparts, too, but its a smaller gap.

Reactions: Anon1669338224

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
That’s certainly a big part of it. But even the analytics impact would be easier to stomach if the execution was better. NBA is just far superior. NFL / MLB are both obviously superior to their college counterparts, too, but its a smaller gap.
Basketball has been hit by one and done for a while, and now NIL/portal, so yeah I do see that point being more pronounced in basketball. Plus the smaller rosters.

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022
Basketball has been hit by one and done for a while, and now NIL/portal, so yeah I do see that point being more pronounced in basketball. Plus the smaller rosters.
One and done only affects about half a dozen guys per season….for over 100+ teams that can be competitive NCAA tourney type teams. NIL / portal and other general trends in recruiting and coaching are the bigger issue.

IBleedMaroonDawg

Nov 12, 2007
For starters, its just horrid basketball. Bumbling errors all over the place. Turnovers, bad shots, mental lapses, etc. From both teams in any game. Same NIL horseshít as football making it not really possible to connect personally with very many players any given year.

The officiating is even worse. Every game is the same nonsense….the home team shoots 2 to 3 times as many free throws as the road team. Just blatant bias from guys that are profoundly affected by the crowd while doing a part time job….with their normal job being a supervisor at a Wendy’s. Everybody wants to talk about paying the players with TV money. How about paying to have real officials?
You pretty much covered all your bases on this problem. The only thing I will add to it is that today's player just emulating what they see in the NBA. Basketball has changed. Is it better or is it worse I won't say, but is nothing like the game that we knew and used to like I won't blame the entire NBA because I liked the some things in the way Denver played ball last year.

Why don't you ask the King what he thinks about basketball right now.

DesotoCountyDawg

Nov 16, 2005
You pretty much covered all your bases on this problem. The only thing I will add to it is that today's player just emulating what they see in the NBA. Basketball has changed. Is it better or is it worse I won't say, but is nothing like the game that we knew and used to like I won't blame the entire NBA because I liked the some things in the way Denver played ball last year.

Why don't you ask the King what he thinks about basketball right now.
Except NBA players can shoot.

Called3rdstrikedawg

May 7, 2016
Yep. You don't see a whole lot of NBA games played in the 50's and low 60's. Heck, Big 10 games sometimes end in the high 40's to low 50's. That is not good TV basketball. Maybe good for the students because they can get so involved. I would rather see corporations buy up most of the tickets and fill the dang place with students and let 'em stand and intimidate the opponents all game long. The paying fans sit on their hands and applaud politely when the home team does something nice for their entertainment.

FlotownDawg

Aug 30, 2012
Not all college basketball is a defensive slog fest. I watched two entertaining college basketball games last night. UConn beat Butler 88-81 and Purdue beat Illinois 83-78. Kentucky beat Florida 87-85 today. Jans is a defensive coach who needs to get some better shooters in here. We have three guys in our starting lineup who cannot shoot the ball. There’s only so much defense you can play. You have to score points.

Reactions: JoeSchmedlap

BreckyBratt

Nov 5, 2022
Why have 20 minute halfs and not 4 quarters like the rest of the basketball world?

uptowndawg

Jul 15, 2010
It’s not an entertaining sport. The game doesn’t flow and build momentum before the ref blows a subjective whistle. And I seem to spend half my brain time thinking about whether a whistle should or should not have been blown on something I see or don’t see. It’s more like me vs the refs against you vs the refs at the same time as opposed to me vs you.

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022
Why have 20 minute halfs and not 4 quarters like the rest of the basketball world?
Great question.

My guess is to create more media timeouts and provide more ad revenue for networks. You do four 10-minute quarters, you really can’t have the stoppage every 4 minutes. It’d be every 5 minutes (mid-quarter, between quarters). 20 minute halves gives you 2 more media timeouts per game.

Women’s college games of course have 10 min quarters, but lets face it….no one’s watching those games anyway. So networks don’t really care. NBA has 12 minute quarters, so they can do the every 4 minute TV timeouts and have 1 more TV timeout per half than college MBB.

Personally, I’d prefer for the men’s college game to just switch to NBA timeframe format (four 12-minute quarters), as well as NBA foul rules - where each team gets 6 fouls per player and 4 team fouls per quarter before the bonus. This would reduce the number of stoppages for non-shooting fouls, and reduce the impact of the constant home-cooking by college officials. And NFL and college football have the same time format, as do MLB and college baseball. I see no reason at all why the NBA should have longer games than college basketball….especially considering that the players are older, play a longer season, and play games more often.

Bulldog Bruce

Nov 1, 2007
I have been posting on here for years how these college players can't shoot at all. College 3s you should hit at a 45% clip or better. It's a pretty easy shot for a shooter.

Reactions: patdog

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008
I have been posting on here for years how these college players can't shoot at all. College 3s you should hit at a 45% clip or better. It's a pretty easy shot for a shooter.
No teams were shooting that when the line was shorter and bumped against the top of the key.

Reddick and Curry never even averaged that % in college, even with the shorter line, and they are viewed as shooting legends.

But yeah, it's a pretty easy shot for a shooter and college players should be knocking en down at a higher % than legendary shooters.
OK then.

Reactions: DesotoCountyDawg

kired

Aug 22, 2008
When was the last time you guys watched a non-msu, non-tournament college basketball game?

Me:

Its Been A Long Time Waiting GIF

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
When was the last time you guys watched a non-msu, non-tournament college basketball game?
I attempted to watch a little of Florida/Kentucky right after our game and was like, nope.

It's hard to even watch MSU on TV honestly. I like going in person. I've heard NBA games are great live.

Reactions: patdog
Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login