College football is broken.

patdog

May 28, 2007
Pretty good article from Wolken. We've had players and coaches missing bowl games for a decade or so now. Now, we've got at least 1 and potentially 2 playoff coaches leaving before the playoffs even start. That's not good. I don't know what needs to be done to fix it, but moving the early signing period to August and the late signing period to March with a moratorium on new coaching hires from the start of the season until after the playoffs might be a start.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/spor...dame-lsu-college-football-stunner/8803498002/

QuaoarsKing

Mar 11, 2008
They should stop having the break between the regular season and postseason. That way, there's less of a lull at the end and maybe the coaching carousel can get started after. If necessary, make it against the rules to leave one job for another before the postseason is over.

End the regular season in mid-December (like we did last year, which was cool) and immediately start the playoffs/bowls the following week. The NFL, lower divisions of college, and high schools go straight from the regular season to the postseason.

Go Budaw

Aug 22, 2012
Pretty good article from Wolken. We've had players and coaches missing bowl games for a decade or so now. Now, we've got at least 1 and potentially 2 playoff coaches leaving before the playoffs even start. That's not good. I don't know what needs to be done to fix it, but moving the early signing period to August and the late signing period to March with a moratorium on new coaching hires from the start of the season until after the playoffs might be a start.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/spor...dame-lsu-college-football-stunner/8803498002/

At least one and potentially 2 playoff coaches? There hasn’t been one leave yet. ND had more than a snowball’s chance but a lot less than a likely chance of making it in. Who else from a potential playoff team has bolted?

In terms of Kelly specifically, is he supposed to just turn down a once in a lifetime offer to multiply his salary eight to ten fold (only made $1.6 million at ND) because he might have a potential chance to once again lose by 5 TD’s to an SEC team in the semifinals? Why is he a bad person for going on ahead and taking a limited window opportunity?

I really thought many would see who wrote this damn article and recognize it as just another agenda hit piece from a one trick pony in that department, but apparently not.

Cooterpoot

Aug 29, 2012
Wolken is a damn Commie! Capitalism rules! Stop buying tickets and watching if you don't like it Comrades.

Maroonthirteen

Aug 22, 2012
Yep. He is right. I think you're right. Move signing day back to March.

This won't completely solve the coaching carousel but it will at least give kids time to see which coach ends up where and allow teams to compete their season.

mcdawg22

Sep 18, 2004
Did you forget the “” for playoff team? If ND sneaks in they are going to get their **** pushed in for the 4th time. When will anybody learn to not let them in?

Smoked Toag

Jul 15, 2021
Quit watching, and quit bitching.

This has been one of the most fun seasons I can remember. If you didn’t enjoy it, you missed out, and that’s your own problem.

Eleven Bravo

Aug 31, 2018
That article did stimulate some thought for me personally. Things are changing in college football for sure. We have a transfer portal which amounts to free agency, then they decided that it’s okay to pay players legally. Now, head coaches are signing 10 year contacts at numbers up to $15 million per season. I read an article today that said that LSU’s new coach can make up to $15 million per season with salary and if he hits all the incentive points. This is beginning to sound an awful lot like professional football to this old boy. I’m afraid that college football 5 years from now is going to be nothing but the “haves” because the “have nots” are going to be an afterthought. Just FYI, I’ve always considered my beloved alma mater, Miss State is probably one of the “have nots”. All this money being thrown around just gives me reason to be concerned.

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006
I usually like to read Wolken’s take on things but he failed to address the big thing that’s driven the coaching fires and hires and that’s — as you mentioned — the early signing period so I’m not as big a fan of this piece.

I think moving the early signing period would be a good idea. Mid-late July might be a better time of the year since fall practices are the next month.

paindonthurt

Jun 27, 2009
What’s odd is his reasoning. Given the text and only the text he sent, I’d surmise he is a really good person.

Requiem For A Dawg

Dec 3, 2008
Quit watching, and quit bitching.

This has been one of the most fun seasons I can remember. If you didn’t enjoy it, you missed out, and that’s your own problem.

I can’t believe I’m agreeing with you, Goat, but you are spot on. This has been one of the most enjoyable college football seasons in a long time.

drumrcraig

Aug 22, 2012
What’s odd is his reasoning. Given the text and only the text he sent, I’d surmise he is a really good person.

Agreed. That screenshot actually made me feel better about him as a person that the way the story had been told prior. I feel like that text is more kindness to his team than our players got from Mullen when he left.

Delmar

Jan 8, 2008
At least one and potentially 2 playoff coaches? There hasn’t been one leave yet. ND had more than a snowball’s chance but a lot less than a likely chance of making it in. Who else from a potential playoff team has bolted?

In terms of Kelly specifically, is he supposed to just turn down a once in a lifetime offer to multiply his salary eight to ten fold (only made $1.6 million at ND) because he might have a potential chance to once again lose by 5 TD’s to an SEC team in the semifinals? Why is he a bad person for going on ahead and taking a limited window opportunity?

I really thought many would see who wrote this damn article and recognize it as just another agenda hit piece from a one trick pony in that department, but apparently not.

If ND makes it in the playoff would you feel the same if some players opted out to prepare for the draft? To me, they have a much better argument to do so but it would suck for the sport.

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008
If there was any doubt about its intent, check out this tweet.

https://twitter.com/danwolken/status/1465523832232583168?s=21

”He’s a bad person”

I dont know what Wolken or others expects a coach to do. Wolken is critical of how Kelly handled the announcement of a new job to the ND players, but what is a better way? I am sure Kelly would have rather told the players before news broke, but that is impossible, so that isnt a realistic alternative. Does Wolken really expect Kelly(and other coaches) to not pursue a new job until the current job is complete?...that isnt how life works for the rest of us. And if that is what Wolken wants, then Kelly isnt the bad guy- the whole system is the bad guy and Kelly is just the most recent example of the way the system works.

Wolken seems like a **** stirrer. He seems like that writer for cbssports college basketball back in the 00s(not Parrish) that I think was originally from Mississippi and just flung **** against the wall to get a rise out of people.

Trojanbulldog19

Aug 25, 2014
They should stop having the break between the regular season and postseason. That way, there's less of a lull at the end and maybe the coaching carousel can get started after. If necessary, make it against the rules to leave one job for another before the postseason is over.

End the regular season in mid-December (like we did last year, which was cool) and immediately start the playoffs/bowls the following week. The NFL, lower divisions of college, and high schools go straight from the regular season to the postseason.

Can’t do that with recruiting. Leach was behind the 8 ball since we we waited until January to fire Moorhead. Just gives them too late of a start. Have to move signing day back to February and then not allow any firing of coaches until season is completely done for that team unless there is some reason like a coach is sleeping with someone they shouldn’t or has done something to get fired that doesn’t involve losses.

DoggieDaddy13

Dec 23, 2017
"Waaah..." Wolken crying because there's a buttload of money being thrown at college sports.

it's a dog-eat-dog free-for-all and we are more than willing to pay for the entertainment.

Ride it, Wolken, or go write for the food channel.

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008
"Waaah..." Wolken crying because there's a buttload of money being thrown at college sports.

it's a dog-eat-dog free-for-all and we are more than willing to pay for the entertainment.

Ride it, Wolken, or go write for the food channel.

I dont disagree with Wolken(and other writers) who say they dislike the system in its current form. I would love to see some change too, but going after a specific coach and saying that person is despicable because they are doing what others do and the system encourages them to do, is pretty ****** of Wolken.

DoggieDaddy13

Dec 23, 2017
It is the system that folks like Wolken have helped to create and will continue to profit from. He knows it and should know better than to make it about a coach's decision to move on to something else.

patdog

May 28, 2007
Agree. I don't like Brian Kelly, but what the heck else is he supposed to do? The way the system is set up, it's not like he's got much of a choice. He has to get to LSU for recruiting with a signing day coming up in a week or so. It's the system that needs tweaking to avoid coaches having to leave schools before the bowl games or playoff teams are even decided.

Go Budaw

Aug 22, 2012
I dont disagree with Wolken(and other writers) who say they dislike the system in its current form. I would love to see some change too, but going after a specific coach and saying that person is despicable because they are doing what others do and the system encourages them to do, is pretty ****** of Wolken.

Its just what Wolken does. He seems to hate every single coach, AD, etc. and never misses a chance to drag one through the mud for any reason from job hopping to making too much money to skirtinh recruiting rules / embracing NIL, and whatever else. He’s had a perpetual ax to grind with Leach too…likely after the Adam James ordeal. He must really hate his job considering he has no choice but to cover all these unsavory characters.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login