College Football Playoff Staying with Disney Through 2032

Dawgg

Sep 9, 2012
$7.8 Billion over 6 years starting with the 2026-2027 season. There was a thought that Fox, NBC, or CBS would try to get rights to at least some games, but all rights will remain with ESPN/ABC/Disney.

Biggest change I see from a broadcast perspective is that ABC will now broadcast the National Championship, which I feel like should have been happening all along. Looks like Disney also has the right (but not the obligation) to simulcast opening round games on Hulu, ESPN+, or Disney+.

Moneywise, it's a significant increase for each Power 4 school. The CFP contract that runs through the 2025-2026 season nets about $5.5 Million for each Power 5 school. Under the new contract, Big Ten and SEC will get $21 Million per school. The ACC, Big 12, and Notre Dame will get $12-$13 Million per school. Group of five schools get a cool $300,000 bump to $1.8 Million per school and will no longer get a bump if a school from their conference makes the playoffs. Oregon State and Washington State are currently being categorized as independents, which do get an incentive if they make the playoffs.

Last edited:

Bulldog45

Oct 2, 2018
Just ahead of Disney’s annual shareholder meeting with another round of proxy wars going on with 2 different groups, so that angle interests me.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login