College sports thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

pseudonym

Oct 6, 2022
Staley should be one of the biggest advocates for women’s sports. Someone in her position not defending the women’s division does not bode well for women’s sports.

IBleedMaroonDawg

Nov 12, 2007
humor situation GIF by BestTech

This issue will be much more prominent as we get close to November.

Avoid getting sucked in, guys

Reactions: Leeshouldveflanked

eckie1

Jun 23, 2007
Staley should be one of the biggest advocates for women’s sports. Someone in her position not defending the women’s division does not bode well for women’s sports.

This 17ing road ***** doesn’t care about a damn thing besides her. The fact that she’s employed by scar shows how clearly desperate that garbage institution is to try to close the gap against their big brother, Clemson.

SteelCurtain74

Oct 28, 2019
This should be Purcell's recruiting strategy. Get a bunch of dudes who want to dress up and feel pretty then go beat South Carolina on their home court. She may change her tune.

QuaoarsKing

Mar 11, 2008
Clay Travis stirring up ѕhit over an issue that died 2 years ago, instead of just taking the W. Why give him extra clicks?

Reactions: mstateglfr

85Bears

Jan 12, 2020
Right now the rules say a male can play in women’s basketball, i suspect there are some playing now. maybe they think it will elevate the level of play and the “women’s game” . Insanity

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008
Right now the rules say a male can play in women’s basketball, i suspect there are some playing now. maybe they think it will elevate the level of play and the “women’s game” . Insanity
Are you referring to the rule that a trans-female has to undergo a full year of hormone suppression treatment, then be rested and fall below a predetermined testosterone level, before being eligible?

I don't keep up on if there have been changes to that rule, much less the details.

85Bears

Jan 12, 2020
Are you referring to the rule that a trans-female has to undergo a full year of hormone suppression treatment, then be rested and fall below a predetermined testosterone level, before being eligible?

I don't keep up on if there have been changes to that rule, much less the details.

Oh ok, that makes it fair and square

QuaoarsKing

Mar 11, 2008
How did it die 2 years ago? I’m not being a dick I’m just wondering what you’re referring to.
After Lia Thomas competed at the NCAA Swimming Championships in 2022, the NCAA changed the rules and abolished their pretty permissive participation policies. Instead of having their own policies, they just defer to the international governing bodies. So for women's swimming, they just use FINA's policy. For basketball, they use FIBA's policy.

Neither FIBA nor FINA explicitly ban transwomen from competing, but have super strict standards that are going to be very hard for anyone to be able to compete. That's why after all the fanfare in 2022, there weren't any competing in NCAA swimming in 2023 or 2024 and probably won't be again unless FINA changes its rules. There hasn't ever been one in NCAA basketball (at least not in D1), and probably won't ever be, unless FIBA changes its rules.

On top of all that, the Biden Administration issued an executive order that gave explicit permission to ban transwomen from competing as long as doing so would put them at an unfair advantage (which would be basically every sport - maybe not bowling or like billiards or something, I'm not sure). "The Squad" had a total meltdown about it for a few days and then moved on.

So, yeah, I think this issue is basically dead in practice. I don't know if people like Clay Travis really don't know about the NCAA rule change and the Biden executive order, but my assumption is he knows is very well (and probably applauded both) but knows that trolling like this will drive a lot of clicks.

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008
Oh ok, that makes it fair and square
I didn't claim it was fair and square, I didnt defend Staley, and I haven't said I support trans females playing with biological females.

What I did was I asked you if what you posted was referring to what I posted. I even said I don't keep up on the ncaa policy on this.

Way to completely misunderstand my post.

DesotoCountyDawg

Nov 16, 2005
After Lia Thomas competed at the NCAA Swimming Championships in 2022, the NCAA changed the rules and abolished their pretty permissive participation policies. Instead of having their own policies, they just defer to the international governing bodies. So for women's swimming, they just use FINA's policy. For basketball, they use FIBA's policy.

Neither FIBA nor FINA explicitly ban transwomen from competing, but have super strict standards that are going to be very hard for anyone to be able to compete. That's why after all the fanfare in 2022, there weren't any competing in NCAA swimming in 2023 or 2024 and probably won't be again unless FINA changes its rules. There hasn't ever been one in NCAA basketball (at least not in D1), and probably won't ever be, unless FIBA changes its rules.

On top of all that, the Biden Administration issued an executive order that gave explicit permission to ban transwomen from competing as long as doing so would put them at an unfair advantage (which would be basically every sport - maybe not bowling or like billiards or something, I'm not sure). "The Squad" had a total meltdown about it for a few days and then moved on.

So, yeah, I think this issue is basically dead in practice. I don't know if people like Clay Travis really don't know about the NCAA rule change and the Biden executive order, but my assumption is he knows is very well (and probably applauded both) but knows that trolling like this will drive a lot of clicks.
If it’s dead in practice why are there still trans boys playing girls in basketball and hockey? Do high school level athletics set their own rules still?

Reactions: peewee.sixpack

QuaoarsKing

Mar 11, 2008
If it’s dead in practice why are there still trans boys playing girls in basketball and hockey? Do high school level athletics set their own rules still?
I'm not familiar with which cases you're talking about, but yes, high school sports are governed by their own states. All 50 states could ban if they want to, but they don't have to. Most of them do. Even in states that don't, it's pretty rare.

It's dead as far as college sports are concerned. Maybe it will come back one day, but it probably won't. That's not the direction that American society seems to be trending in.

BreckyBratt

Nov 5, 2022
Problem is they traded a basketball player for an arms dealer. One of those is not like the other. Yeah well okay they both may be dudes but their jobs aren't in the same universe.

• Haha
Reactions: Old Fart Dawg

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008
States set the laws for their state and it then applies to all schools in that stare regardless of being public or private.
Thats how it is here and in other states I read about when some legislators got into a sudden panic a couple years ago, at the same time that some legislators in other states got all panicked.

Now is as good a time as any to comment on the often cited video from one of the Carolinas or Virginia where a girl playing volleyball is hit in the head and injured. It's paraded around as proof that trans girls are so dangerous they could kill a biological female during competition(it was claimed on here too).
- the injured player is playing right side and their job on defense is to block the opponent's outside. Instead, the girl dropped back to the 10' line. That is straight up unheard of in volleyball once kids can get their fingertips above the net. That position blocks- it's universal once kids are 14 or older. The girl wouldn't have been hit in the head if she had been in the correct devensive spot.
- the attacker didn't hit that harder than a lot of girls I coach. These girls have gotten skull shots too, it's just always a back row player thars hit since, you know, nobody else plays defense like that injured girl.
- men and women play co-ed volleyball all the time, at a highly competitive level too. As a result, sometimes a guy is able to tee off when a shorter woman is blocking front row. And yet...death isn't something that is an issue. Even injury is extremely rare. My 17yo plays weekly with guys that are 18-40 and many played naia/d3 college volleyball, yet I am not concerned.

I am not advocating for trans-girls to play competitive sports with biological girls.
I am saying the often cited video is a dumb thing to point to as proof/support because the injured player was playing defense incorrectly and put herself in a spot to be injured since she was too close to react and not at the net doing what she should do- blocking.
Other evidence should be used by those who are actively working to keep girls sports restricted to only biological females.

Bobby Ricigliano

Jul 27, 2011
States set the laws for their state and it then applies to all schools in that stare regardless of being public or private.
Thats how it is here and in other states I read about when some legislators got into a sudden panic a couple years ago, at the same time that some legislators in other states got all panicked.

Now is as good a time as any to comment on the often cited video from one of the Carolinas or Virginia where a girl playing volleyball is hit in the head and injured. It's paraded around as proof that trans girls are so dangerous they could kill a biological female during competition(it was claimed on here too).
- the injured player is playing right side and their job on defense is to block the opponent's outside. Instead, the girl dropped back to the 10' line. That is straight up unheard of in volleyball once kids can get their fingertips above the net. That position blocks- it's universal once kids are 14 or older. The girl wouldn't have been hit in the head if she had been in the correct devensive spot.
- the attacker didn't hit that harder than a lot of girls I coach. These girls have gotten skull shots too, it's just always a back row player thars hit since, you know, nobody else plays defense like that injured girl.
- men and women play co-ed volleyball all the time, at a highly competitive level too. As a result, sometimes a guy is able to tee off when a shorter woman is blocking front row. And yet...death isn't something that is an issue. Even injury is extremely rare. My 17yo plays weekly with guys that are 18-40 and many played naia/d3 college volleyball, yet I am not concerned.

I am not advocating for trans-girls to play competitive sports with biological girls.
I am saying the often cited video is a dumb thing to point to as proof/support because the injured player was playing defense incorrectly and put herself in a spot to be injured since she was too close to react and not at the net doing what she should do- blocking.
Other evidence should be used by those who are actively working to keep girls sports restricted to only biological females.
I am so grateful we have you to clear such things up for us neanderthals.

QuaoarsKing

Mar 11, 2008
Do you think biological males should be allowed to compete against biological females in the women's division?
I think Biden made the right call when he said it was OK to ban them but not a blanket national ban.

I think the NCAA made the right call when it decided to stop making up its own rules and just deferred to the international sporting bodies. Every sport is different, and some sports (such as basketball) have significant tactical differences between men's and women's versions, so the international governance bodies are best equipped to make specific rules for their sports.

I think everyone who thought Lia Thomas shouldn't have been allowed to participate in the NCAA championships in 2022 (and I was one of those people) should be very happy that our concerns have been addressed and the status quo has been changed, but instead almost everyone who was furious then is not only still fuming about it, but seems to be utterly unaware that anything has changed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login