Colonoscopy PSA

Hugh's Burner Phone

Aug 3, 2017
Six years ago I started having some very troubling symptoms and ended up at a gastroenterologist at the age of 43. I had my first colonoscopy where a large polyp was found that was extremely close to not being a polyp any more. I had a follow up the next year where a couple of small ones were found and today I had my third one where a couple of very small ones were found and removed. I say that to say this...

If you're having any symptoms that you know aren't right or are above 45 years old get this done. Colon cancer kills a lot of people every year, and most, if not all, of it could be avoided or treated early with full recovery with this 20 minute test. I was almost a statistic, but I was scared enough to have the test and glad I did. And truth be told the test is nothing to be scared of. You sleep through the entire thing. The worst part is the super colon blow prep you have to do. That poor motel toilet will never be the same. Not sure how I'll end up meeting my Maker. It may be driving into another tornado and it end up being one I can't drive out of, but I'm going to do everything in my power to make sure it isn't colon cancer. I hope everybody here does the same.

patdog

May 28, 2007
Had my 2nd one last Friday. Word to the wise. Get the Supra Prep instead on the standard one. Insurance won’t cover it. Cost is about $100, but the nurse gave me a GoodRX coupon that brought it down to $30. Either way, it’s well worth it.

Last edited:

Yeti

Feb 20, 2018
I’ve buried two friends with Colon cancer They could both be here today had they done a colonoscopy. Now along those lines get your PSA checked in your forties. I did, and it reveled prostate cancer… a slow but steady killer I wouldn’t have made 55

GloryDawg

Mar 3, 2005
I have had my second one. I have to get one every five years now since they found one on my first.

Hugh's Burner Phone

Aug 3, 2017
I’ve buried two friends with Colon cancer They could both be here today had they done a colonoscopy. Now along those lines get your PSA checked in your forties. I did, and it reveled prostate cancer… a slow but steady killer I wouldn’t have made 55
Had my first PSA last week. I guess next year I get that and the finger up the poop shoot.

bsquared24

Jul 11, 2009
As someone who has had a couple I don’t understand what the big fear/reluctance is. The prep isn’t fun for like 6 hours but it’s a minor inconvenience for something that could save your life.
Plus it gives you an excuse to go eat whatever you want after as your stomach is truly empty.

Reactions: IBleedMaroonDawg

Dawgbite

Nov 1, 2011
I've had 3or 4 colonoscopies. The secret to the prep is going on a liquid diet 24-48 hours before you start the prep. I wish someone had told me this before the first one but luckily a nurse told me this and if makes the prep so much easier.

jethreauxdawg

Dec 20, 2010
I don’t understand why PSA isn’t checked on every physical. I’ve got one friend dying from prostate cancer right now and another that caught it early because he was checking his PSA due to family history. That friend got the issue fixed and is all good. At my physical when I was 35, I asked the Dr to check my PSA, he said it wasn’t necessary at my age. I asked what all had to be done to check it. “Well…I just check this box and the lab will test for it in the blood we’ve already drawn for the other tests.” Great, let’s do that. I now know my baseline number and can get more testing done if that number ticks up. Check PSA every year at your regular physical.

jxndawg

Dec 26, 2009
Six years ago I started having some very troubling symptoms and ended up at a gastroenterologist at the age of 43. I had my first colonoscopy where a large polyp was found that was extremely close to not being a polyp any more. I had a follow up the next year where a couple of small ones were found and today I had my third one where a couple of very small ones were found and removed. I say that to say this...

If you're having any symptoms that you know aren't right or are above 45 years old get this done. Colon cancer kills a lot of people every year, and most, if not all, of it could be avoided or treated early with full recovery with this 20 minute test. I was almost a statistic, but I was scared enough to have the test and glad I did. And truth be told the test is nothing to be scared of. You sleep through the entire thing. The worst part is the super colon blow prep you have to do. That poor motel toilet will never be the same. Not sure how I'll end up meeting my Maker. It may be driving into another tornado and it end up being one I can't drive out of, but I'm going to do everything in my power to make sure it isn't colon cancer. I hope everybody here does the same.
I get an annual checkup from an internal medicine doc I’ve been going to for years (which I also highly recommend). Since I turned 50 last year, he made me go get my first colonoscopy. When I woke up, the GI doc told me he’d removed 3 polyps, and one of them in particular he thought “would have been cancer in 5 years.” Got the lab report back on it, and sure enough one of them was a “medium aggressive” precancerous type. Moral of the story is: if I hadn’t gotten it done, that polyp would have wound up being my cause of death, at 55.

Jun 4, 2007
As someone who has had a couple I don’t understand what the big fear/reluctance is. The prep isn’t fun for like 6 hours but it’s a minor inconvenience for something that could save your life.
Plus it gives you an excuse to go eat whatever you want after as your stomach is truly empty.

My mom had one about 5 years ago. They removed a polyp and sent her home despite being in severe pain. She went to UMMC where they determined the Dr. had sent her home with a perforation in her colon. She ended up spending a week in the hospital.

I know that's the exception, but it's enough to kick the can down the road when my doctor brings it up.

It really makes me feel old that I can say "my doctor".

WilCoDawg

Sep 6, 2012
There’s also the tests that you can sample your fecal matter that, while not as great as a colonoscopy, can detect potential cancer.

NWADawg

May 4, 2016
If you really want to avoid the prep and don't have any family history of colon cancer, then I would suggest the Cologuard route.

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006
I don’t understand why PSA isn’t checked on every physical. I’ve got one friend dying from prostate cancer right now and another that caught it early because he was checking his PSA due to family history. That friend got the issue fixed and is all good. At my physical when I was 35, I asked the Dr to check my PSA, he said it wasn’t necessary at my age. I asked what all had to be done to check it. “Well…I just check this box and the lab will test for it in the blood we’ve already drawn for the other tests.” Great, let’s do that. I now know my baseline number and can get more testing done if that number ticks up. Check PSA every year at your regular physical.
The rule of thumb - if you’ll pardon the word - on PSA exams has changed throughout the years.

Thomas Stamey did a lot of the heavy lifting that linked PSA as a prostate cancer marker and later published research that PSA numbers just show how big a prostate a guy has and doesn’t necessarily show the severity of cancer.

Dr. Stamey was a good guy. I briefly worked for him (not my direct supervisor) when I was a grunt employee in Stanford’s Department of Urology back in the day. It helps when I’m the brother of someone who was a postdoc fellow there.

My father also had his prostate cancer surgery done at Stanford in the mid-90s and later died of it. Since it runs in the family, I get my PSA exam done each year.

Last edited:
Reactions: jethreauxdawg

HumpDawgy

Apr 6, 2010
Guys.....go get your butthole cherry popped. Don't worry, they roofie you beforehand. If you are having bad acid reflux, pay to get the upper done as well, just tell the doctor you prefer him to scope the upper first.***

jethreauxdawg

Dec 20, 2010
Thomas Stamey did a lot of the heavy lifting that linked PSA as a prostate cancer marker and later published research that PSA numbers just show how big a prostate a guy has and doesn’t necessarily show the severity of cancer.
The way my buddy who caught it early explained it, the PSA number doesn’t matter. It’s the change in the number from year to year that matters.

The Peeper

Feb 26, 2008
I had my 2nd one in June, 1st was 10 yrs ago. I got the 2 bottles of generic liquid prep, it was free w/ BCBS-MS insurance as was the colonoscopy itself. Paid $45 for consultation w/ the Dr that was for him to ask questions about family history and a heart issue I had awhile back. He told me just the liquid diet for 24 hrs before and prep was no big deal. Notice I didn't say it was fun, just no big deal, kind of like the Ryans Steak House episode from years ago, except in the privacy of your own throne room. Took the drink, waited about 90 minutes and the floodgates suddenly opened for about 2 hrs and that was it. Took the 2nd bottle next morning , not much was left in me from the night before. Don't remember a thing about the procedure after she said "I'm about to put the happy juice in your IV", it burned for about 5 seconds and next thing I knew my wife was helping me get dressed.

I also had the upper scope done at the same time and it cost me $1,100 but that was an option I chose. I've been having more reflux than normal lately and some trouble swallowing dense foods like french bread, white chicken, steak, etc. He put a balloon in and inflated it to spread the esophogus muscle and that has totally fixed the swallowing issue, but my reflux seems to be worse now that the opening is bigger. Prescribed a reflux med and if I take one at night, no reflux.

GO GET THE TESTS, colon and PSA. PSA is a blood test for heavens sake.

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006
The way my buddy who caught it early explained it, the PSA number doesn’t matter. It’s the change in the number from year to year that matters.

Yeah, and also previously numbers below 4 were considered normal for everyone but that's changed and there's now no specific normal or abnormal level.

Reactions: jethreauxdawg

jethreauxdawg

Dec 20, 2010
Yeah, and also previously numbers below 4 were considered normal for everyone but that's changed and there's now no specific normal or abnormal level.
I think my buddy went from 2-4 in one year after being at 2 for years. He said he wanted to do more testing. Dr tried telling him 4 is acceptable. Thankfully he kept pushing. Also thankful that cyber knife therapy is now an option. It was new when he had that procedure done.

Reactions: Maroon Eagle

Brokerdawg

Jul 1, 2012
Got my first one at 50 which was 8 months ago. Go back in 9 years and 4 months!!!!! I ask all my friends if they have had it handled. Its sooooo easy.

Yeti

Feb 20, 2018
On PSA numbers It’s not the number it’s the change in the number that matters. 4 is the baseline I never got that high. But I was changing each check up. I told my Dr it’s not 4 I’m good. His reply 4 is ok for a 70 year old not 48 get a biopsy…that found it in a couple places. Then you get a Gleason score ( how aggressive it looks). Mine was high enough for surgery. If you end up where I was make sure you find a surgeon who has done it a number of times. You might have to change locations. I went to Vandy from Memphis. But they guy had done thousands

IBleedMaroonDawg

Nov 12, 2007
I was just recently able to get a new colonoscopy completed. I've had several, but it's been almost 10 years since I had my last one. There were no problems & I only had a couple of polyps that were benign. The hardest part is the prep listen to the guy saying you should start changing your diet 24 to 48 hours prior to beginning your prep.

MaxwellSmart

May 28, 2007

Taco Bell the day before the prep will help move things along.

Dawg1976

Aug 22, 2012
I asked my urologist if there were any supplements that might help my overall plumbing. He recommended one called Prostate SR. After 6 months of use my PSA dropped from 1.6 to .79. At may age 1.6 was not out of line but i'm just mentioning this to those that might have a border line high number. Worth a try. As far as colon scopes go I've had two and no polyps were found. A friend of mine never had one and he went through major surgery earlier this year. Looks like he's going to be okay but he's lucky.

dawgenstein

Mar 3, 2008
Guys.....go get your butthole cherry popped. Don't worry, they roofie you beforehand. If you are having bad acid reflux, pay to get the upper done as well, just tell the doctor you prefer him to scope the upper first.***
I second this. I had reflux for years and got the upper GI done at the same time for 2 out of 3 of my colonoscopies. First upper GI found a lesion in my stomach that was almost an ulcer so I went on medication to cure it. The second time they did the upper GI (my third colonoscopy), which was 20 years later, they found and removed a pre-cancerous “nodule” growing in my upper GI tube. Procedure was less than 30 minutes for the upper and lower. Well worth the avoidance of death-sentencing cancer.

maroonmadman

Nov 7, 2010
I had an upper and lower GI scope done on the same day and they dilated my esophagus as well.

The prep stuff they gave me was called "Go Lytley" and boy was that a lie. I didn't think it was possible to crap that much and with such force and live to tell about it but somehow, I did. By the time I got to the last of the Go Lytley nothing, but pure spring water was emanating from my butthole. I was purged. Fortunately I was good and have a few more years to go before a repeat performance.

peewee.sixpack

Nov 4, 2014
So a question for the guys in the med field. I am 48 had my first colonoscopy last fall after a Dr. recommended it during a routine check up. I had a few polyps but was told nothing serious and to have another one done in 10 years. A good friend of mine who had prostate cancer told me the reason they say 10 years is b/c insurance doesn't want to cover it again. Is this something I should plan to have done earlier than 10 years even if it comes out of pocket. It seems like a lot can happen in 10 years especially for an aging male.

BoDawg.sixpack

Feb 5, 2010
Had mine last month. The doctor said I was full of ****. My wife said I need to go back to him for the next one.

Curby

Aug 23, 2012
So a question for the guys in the med field. I am 48 had my first colonoscopy last fall after a Dr. recommended it during a routine check up. I had a few polyps but was told nothing serious and to have another one done in 10 years. A good friend of mine who had prostate cancer told me the reason they say 10 years is b/c insurance doesn't want to cover it again. Is this something I should plan to have done earlier than 10 years even if it comes out of pocket. It seems like a lot can happen in 10 years especially for an aging male.
10 years is too long to go between procedures if they found a few polyps on your last one. It should be at least 5….more preferably every 3 years.

10 year intervals is usually if there were zero polyps found.

Reactions: Maroon Eagle

Leeshouldveflanked

Nov 12, 2016
I had colon cancer at age 34. Had about 6 inches of colon removed and 34 staples in my abodomen. I have had probably 12 colonoscopies since and haven’t even had a polyp (knock on wood. I do have a prostate biopsy in a few weeks. I’m 55 now.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login