Columbia Industries headed to Starkville.

DoggieDaddy13

Dec 23, 2017
Sorry, can't post a link on my phone.

Do you mean building an operation in Oktibbeha county or relocating from Oregon? I am assuming you mean the Rig System manufacturers. I can't find a link mentioning anything, yet.

Do share.

Mjoelner

Sep 2, 2006
Do you mean building an operation in Oktibbeha county or relocating from Oregon? I am assuming you mean the Rig System manufacturers. I can't find a link mentioning anything, yet.

Do share.

Relocating from Oregon. Google Columbia Industries Starkville Mississippi.

DoggieDaddy13

Dec 23, 2017
Well, I am out the 17n loop. Followed your google suggestion and found out they announced this back in March. That's big. Great for Starkville. They do good work.

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006
Oilfield equipment manufacturing.

I'm a little surprised it was based in a state where there's not been much oil production.

But I'm wondering why Starkville of all places in Mississippi was chosen?

Not that there's anything wrong with Starkville...

I'd just expect this to be either near the Jackson area (probably Pearl or Madison County) or in either of the oil producing areas of the state: Natchez and Laurel.

Heck, even our Columbia. It's close to Baxterville Field.

Mjoelner

Sep 2, 2006
Relocating from Oregon. Google Columbia Industries Starkville Mississippi.

I just went back and found the WCBI story from March. I didn't know about that either. I just saw stuff popping up on Facebook and Google today so I figured it was new. I'm guessing all the paperwork must have finalized today.

CoastTrash

Aug 22, 2012
This is great news, but a $10mm investment is pretty small to be the focus of such publicity.

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006
Looking at it some more, it's good that Starkville found a company to come in and use some long vacant space.

I'm a little surprised this story got picked up by Y'all Politics.

It seems to be more local interest than anything else.

It's awesome that East Mississippi CC can supply them with welders. That's a profession with a lot of demand.

They saw opportunities to build a strong workforce immediately, and in the future with students at East Mississippi Community College.
“They need welders and we spent the better part of half of an afternoon with EMCC and their welding trainers and the communiversity folks to understand what they could do and I think one of the reasons the company picked us is because they had high faith and confidence in EMCC’s ability to churn out trained welders to come and fill these jobs,” said Higgins.

From this WCBI article: Link.

kired

Aug 22, 2008
Looks like they are heavily involved with scrap meatal industry too. The cost to ship their equipment to this part of the US from Oregon would be $10,000 - $12,000 per truckload (or more). So it may be mainly about just getting a location on this corner of the country.

My company builds heavy steel industrial equipment and we run into that. It's just easier to compete on the eastern side of the US when you're selling $100,000 worth of equipment with $2,000 shipping cost, versus trying to ship that same thing 2000+ miles to California @ $10,000.

natchezdawg

Oct 4, 2009
Looks like metal fabrication for several industries is what they do.

One of the biggest factors in this type of thing at this juncture is access to people / talent - people who can do the work. A closer proximity to the Texas, Louisiana, and the Sunbelt in general than what they had in Oregon was probably a factor too.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login