Coming soon for us History Guys.

L4Dawg

Oct 27, 2016
History and movies are rarely a good mix. I've seen that one billed as an action flick.

CochiseCowbell

Oct 29, 2012
Saw that earlier today & shared it with a specific group text. It may be wildly inaccurate in detail, but it COULD capture the essence of the time/wars/battle. I love Braveheart, but it was pretty far from accurate. However, it's a great film & I learned more than I ever would have had it not entertained & captivated my younger self.

I know less about the Napoleonic wars & the 6(?) coalitions against his imperial expansion, than I do about the Sino Japanese War.

I'm looking forward to it & will probably have to see it in the theater for the large set piece battles.

Circumstances dictated that I couldn't watch 1917 in a theater (I still haven't seen it at all) & I'm still kicking myself for that.

DAWGSANDSAINTS

Oct 10, 2022
Oppenheimer comes out on the big screen on 7/21 with Matt Damon as a main character.
I use to love going to the movies, grabbing a big bucket of buttered popcorn and a large coke.
Still do but it’s getting rarer and rarer.
My GF then and now wife would even sometimes, depending on what movies were out, would time shows so we could see two different movies back to back in the same theater on the same ticket.

Reactions: IBleedMaroonDawg

Dawgbite

Nov 1, 2011
17 the French. Have they ever won a war? How are they even still a country?

GloryDawg

Mar 3, 2005
Saw that earlier today & shared it with a specific group text. It may be wildly inaccurate in detail, but it COULD capture the essence of the time/wars/battle. I love Braveheart, but it was pretty far from accurate. However, it's a great film & I learned more than I ever would have had it not entertained & captivated my younger self.

I know less about the Napoleonic wars & the 6(?) coalitions against his imperial expansion, than I do about the Sino Japanese War.

I'm looking forward to it & will probably have to see it in the theater for the large set piece battles.

Circumstances dictated that I couldn't watch 1917 in a theater (I still haven't seen it at all) & I'm still kicking myself for that.
The 6th coalitions they saw some of Napoleons best Generalship and his worse. Early 1813 he kicks the **** out of Russia and Prussia but stop fighting to regroup thinking Austria would remain neutral. They did not and joined. In fall of 1813 is when things started to go bad for him. Got his *** kicked at Leipzig. Alot of his army got trap when they blew the bridge too soon. In 1814 after he retreated to France, is when he did his best Generalship. He was really out numbers but continually out maneuver the Coalitions. He just did not have the manpower to continue to fight and advocated the crowed. He lost too much Cavalry going into Russia. In the fall of 1813, the Bavarians left him and joined the Coalition. After Leipzig the Confederation of the Rhine join the Coalition. Those German States provided a lot of manpower. The Dutchy of Warsaw lost Piontkowski when the bridge got blown up and he could not swim. He died. Those Poles were his best allied but could not come to his aid.

GloryDawg

Mar 3, 2005
They did take control England in 1066 after the battle of Hastin. You could argue that since they were descendants of Vikings that they were not French, but they did speak French and was from Normandy.

They kick the crap out of the Prussian in 1806. Prussia thought they could take them.

Technically they were our allied in the war of 1812 and we won that war. Yes, that is part of the Napoleonic Wars. We sided with Napoleon. That is not as bad as siding with Stalin. Wait we did that too. **********

Last edited:
Reactions: CochiseCowbell

Cantdoitsal

Sep 26, 2022
[/
Thank the Charlemagne Family Era your not a Muslim.. But I will say their capitulation to the Nazis while still having 1Million Armed soldiers was pitiful. They helped us in the Revolution and Lafayette is the most common county name in the U.S.

dog99walker

Jul 16, 2021
In Oppenheimer, Damon plays Gen. Leslie Groves, the military leader of the Manhattan Project. Oppenheimer is played by Cillian Murphy, of Peaky Blinders fame. Emily Blunt plays Oppenheimer’s wife. All-star cast, directed by Chris Nolan. Should be good drama.

Mobile Bay

Jul 26, 2020

The Hornblower books and the Aubry/Maturin series are excellent reads. I couldn't quite get into Sharpe's Rifles though.

dorndawg

Sep 10, 2012
My GF then and now wife would even sometimes, depending on what movies were out, would time shows so we could see two different movies back to back in the same theater on the same ticket.
The ol' Irish Double Feature. Used to be a big fan of it myself.

L4Dawg

Oct 27, 2016
They did take control England in 1066 after the battle of Hastin. You could argue that since they were descendants of Vikings that they were not French, but they did speak French and was from Normandy.

They kick the crap out of the Prussian in 1806. Prussia thought they could take them.

Technically they were our allied in the war of 1812 and we won that war. Yes, that is part of the Napoleonic Wars. We sided with Napoleon. That is not as bad as siding with Stalin. Wait we did that too. **********
The French did NOT take control of England in 1066. The Normans did. There is a difference.

L4Dawg

Oct 27, 2016
History makes good movies. Movies do not usually make good history. I have seen it billed as an action flick. The trailer I saw does nothing to contradict that. I'll probably watch it if I get the chance though. Braveheart got nearly every single historical detail wrong, including who "Braveheart" actually was, but it was still a good movie. Same for The Patriot.

Reactions: CochiseCowbell

GloryDawg

Mar 3, 2005
History makes good movies. Movies do not usually make good history. I have seen it billed as an action flick. The trailer I saw does nothing to contradict that. I'll probably watch it if I get the chance though. Braveheart got nearly every single historical detail wrong, including who "Braveheart" actually was, but it was still a good movie. Same for The Patriot.
And the clothes. The kilts did not come around for another 100 years or more.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login