Computers determine Mountain West championship game.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
I don't really have an issue with this, but ultimately, just another reason why I personally think conference championship games are played out and need to go away in the new era. Just let overall record determine the banners, it gives something for teams to shoot for. SOS and other factors will determine the 12 playoff teams. So what if someone draws an easy schedule and gets lucky with record. Oh well.

Of course, they also need to go on and expand the playoff to 16 teams.

Reactions: patdog

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
Conference championship games are just like post season conference basketball tourneys. Totally unnecessary and only put in place for additional revenue which waters down the importance of the conference race.
100% agree. I will say that at least those tournaments provide SOME excitement, because the whole conference is involved - basically a last ditch effort for someone at the end to make the Dance (or NCAA baseball tournament). In football, it's just another game for the the top teams to possibly lose.

Seems to me like we could go right into the playoff first round on that weekend. Or maybe just take a week off.

patdog

May 28, 2007
Conference championship games are just like post season conference basketball tourneys. Totally unnecessary and only put in place for additional revenue which waters down the importance of the conference race.
And this is why they're not going away.

Reactions: Dawgg

patdog

May 28, 2007
100% agree. I will say that at least those tournaments provide SOME excitement, because the whole conference is involved - basically a last ditch effort for someone at the end to make the Dance (or NCAA baseball tournament). In football, it's just another game for the the top teams to possibly lose.

Seems to me like we could go right into the playoff first round on that weekend. Or maybe just take a week off.
I'd rather see a 16-team playoff and no conference championship games than the 12-team playoff with championship games.

QuaoarsKing

Mar 11, 2008
I'd rather see a 16-team playoff and no conference championship games than the 12-team playoff with championship games.
This. Or even better, 24 team playoff, no CCG, and no bowls. The only "postseason" is the playoffs, which start the first Saturday of December and end on New Years Day if possible

Reactions: OG Goat Holder

85Bears

Jan 12, 2020
The absurdity of a four team playoff is you may have Alabama, Ohio State and Texas sit it out while a weak @SS ACC champ playing some third string bum at qb cuz reasons.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
This. Or even better, 24 team playoff, no CCG, and no bowls. The only "postseason" is the playoffs, which start the first Saturday of December and end on New Years Day if possible
Think about this. Right now, if we didn't 17 with championship games, the playoff would be Georgia, Michigan, Washington and Florida State. After championship weekend screws things up with rematches and what not, it'll be chaos. That'll happen less with the 12-teamer, but still just so unnecessary.

I guess you could look at it like, the top teams will beat each other up for one more week, so maybe that's an advantage for the 8-12 seed teams. But the top 4 get byes, so who knows. The worst place you can be in a conference championship game loser.....because you will be penalized for that loss, while the #3 or #4 team in the conference will not (especially if you're SEC or B1G).

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
The absurdity of a four team playoff is you may have Alabama, Ohio State and Texas sit it out while a weak @SS ACC champ playing some third string bum at qb cuz reasons.
I get what you're saying, but if you are P5 and go undefeated, you deserve to be in the playoffs - period. It's not the best teams, it's the best resumes. Being undefeated is the best you can be.

85Bears

Jan 12, 2020
It’s not the four best teams ? How can you have the best resume if you play in the ACC ? Right now is FSU a top 3 team in the sec the pac or the bigten without a qb ?

patdog

May 28, 2007
One other downside to conference championship games. Starting next year, get ready for Ohio St. - Michigan part two the week after their regular season game. You've just reduced one of the biggest rivalries in college football to little more than an exhibition game ahead of the "real" game at a neutral site. Yuck!

DesotoCountyDawg

Nov 16, 2005
Like I’ve mentioned before since it’s obvious that conference championships aren’t going away it can be integrated better into the playoff.

The idea that a conference champion regardless of record should get a top 4 seed is absurd.

Reactions: Coast_Dawg

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
It’s not the four best teams ? How can you have the best resume if you play in the ACC ? Right now is FSU a top 3 team in the sec the pac or the bigten without a qb ?
It shouldn't matter what you are "right now". It SHOULD matter that you are undefeated, and a couple of those wins are LSU and Florida. That's the primary focus. If they lose to Louisville, all bets are off.

Not to mention - they didn't create the schedule. Plus, it's a national championship - you need teams from all over the nation and there's not enough cross pollination to know for sure who is the 'best'.

LordMcBuckethead

Sep 30, 2022
Well it does give you a specific Champion of the conference, so at least it is settled on the field every single year.

85Bears

Jan 12, 2020
Well it does give you a specific Champion of the conference, so at least it is settled on the field every single year.
That same conference champion used to be decided by the regular conference race. the conference championship is just redundant.

AstroDog

Oct 5, 2022
I like it. As long as the metrics in the formula are agreed to by all conference teams before the season starts, it should work out ok. The reason I like it is because it takes out the bias of a selection committee. Wish a formula could be agreed upon prior to our 12 team playoff next year. And let the puta spit out the top 12 teams and their seedings.

Dawgg

Sep 9, 2012
I don't really have an issue with this, but ultimately, just another reason why I personally think conference championship games are played out and need to go away in the new era. Just let overall record determine the banners, it gives something for teams to shoot for. SOS and other factors will determine the 12 playoff teams. So what if someone draws an easy schedule and gets lucky with record. Oh well.

Of course, they also need to go on and expand the playoff to 16 teams.
You'd still run into this problem even without the conference championship game. As conferences merge and grow, the likelihood of multiple teams having the same record without playing each other grows with it.

Eventually the tie-breakers will run out and you end up right back here, except instead of a spot in the conference championship game, it's a spot in the in the playoff being determined by a computer.

Then they give the second place coach a gold watch, kick him in the butt, and say "a computah took yo job, dadday".

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login