Conference realignment history lesson

pseudonym

Oct 6, 2022
Nice graphic presentation of conference realignment over the years:

I didn't know that Florida State was close to becoming the 12th SEC team and then chose the ACC.
  1. The university was concerned about the SEC revenue-sharing model. (big oof 30 years later)
  2. Bobby Bowden preferred the ACC because he thought it would be an easier path to a national championship. (They won it all the next year.)
South Carolina benefited from their decision.

• Haha
Reactions: mcdawg22

MStateDawg

Aug 3, 2021
It's wild to think about how USM & Florida State were conference mates not that long ago.
In fact, in my lifetime, USM has at one point or another shared a conference with these current P4 teams:
Houston (Big 12)
TCU (Big 12)
UCF (Big 12)
Louisville (ACC)
Cincinnati (Big 12)
SMU (ACC)
South Carolina (SEC)
Florida State (ACC)
Virginia Tech (ACC)

Reactions: Dawgg

MedDawg

Apr 24, 2009

I didn't know that Florida State was close to becoming the 12th SEC team and then chose the ACC.
  1. The university was concerned about the SEC revenue-sharing model. (big oof 30 years later)
  2. Bobby Bowden preferred the ACC because he thought it would be an easier path to a national championship. (They won it all the next year.)
The ACC was absolutely a much easier path to a national championship. The ACC was so weak that FSU went undefeated for a while and lost very few for years.

Dawgg

Sep 9, 2012
Few thoughts here:
1. Oof... somebody learned to use data visualization and presentation tools for the first time and can't wait to show off every feature.

2. Unfair to compare OU & Texas going to the SEC to USC & UCLA going to the Big Ten as "non-geographic super conferences". Texas is in a state with an existing team and OU shares a border with 3 existing teams and one/both of them previously shared a conference with Missouri, Texas A&M, and Arkansas. UCLA and USC were nowhere near the existing Big Ten geographic footprint.

3. University of Chicago really fumbled the bag.

4. Laughing at the thought of the SEC breaking away from the coastal schools in the SoCon because travel between the southeast and North Carolina was too difficult. It was 1932 though. Not sure what the train routes were back then.

5. SoCon really screwed up by enforcing their bowl ban. They could have been a strong conference for a long time, even with the SEC defections.

6. In a roundabout way, the CFA was a 63 team superconference in the 80's since it was a holistic media negotiation on behalf of the SEC, ACC, Big 8, SWC, WAC, and Notre Dame. The Pac-10 and Big Ten, of course, were doing their own thing.

7. Wild that the Big Ten was so dug in on trAdiShUn that they almost missed out on adding Penn State.

8. Funny that Notre Dame breaking away from the CFA to negotiate its NBC deal kind of led to all of these conference specific contracts and a lot of the realignment we see today.

9. The Big East was doomed as a football conference from the start. It was 8 independent schools just looking for TV money until something better came along.

10. Looking back, the SEC added freaking Arkansas and South Carolina in response to the Big Ten adding Penn State. Would have been laughed at today.

11. Florida State.... hahahahahahahah enjoy your ACC championships.

12. I would have loved to see the Big 8 and SWC included in this. They were just kind of "well the Big 12 formed from the SWC and Big 8" some time in the 90's.

13. I hate Baylor.

14. This is the first time I'm hearing TCU being included in the Pac-10's attempted 2010 raid of the Big 12, especially since TCU wasn't even in the Big 12 at that point and was somewhere between the MWC and a not to be move to the Big East. The 6 I had always seen were Colorado, Texas, Texas Tech, OU, Oklahoma State, and Texas A&M (until a number of prominent Texas A&M figures like Gene Stallings came out in favor of a move to the SEC).

15. The SEC was the only Power conference not to pick up a Pac-12 expatriate. Good for us.

16. $200 Million to join the worst Power conference - SMU.

17. $108 Million to join the worst Power conference - Stanford and Cal... each.

18. Houston has been in 7 conferences.

19. I hate Texas too. "'Whoever you play, it's their Super Bowl.' It's the power of the brand. That won't change in the SEC.” - Chris del Conte

20. Overall, pretty fun infographic.

patdog

May 28, 2007
The ACC was absolutely a much easier path to a national championship. The ACC was so weak that FSU went undefeated for a while and lost very few for years.
It was a good short term decision for FSU, but a very bad long term decision.

Wesson Bulldog

Nov 3, 2015

For a brief moment in time, SEC courted Texas, ATM, FSU and Miami to join before Arkansas and SCe did it 1992.

patdog

May 28, 2007
It's wild to think about how USM & Florida State were conference mates not that long ago.
In fact, in my lifetime, USM has at one point or another shared a conference with these current P4 teams:
Houston (Big 12)
TCU (Big 12)
UCF (Big 12)
Louisville (ACC)
Cincinnati (Big 12)
SMU (ACC)
South Carolina (SEC)
Florida State (ACC)
Virginia Tech (ACC)
The old Metro Conference would have been a damn good one if they could have held it together. USM is the biggest loser in the country in the conference realignments of the last 25 or so years. I think they're finally in a pretty good spot in the Sunbelt though.

Reactions: BulldogBlitz

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
It was a good short term decision for FSU, but a very bad long term decision.
I don't know. Because of that ACC decision, they were able to develop themselves into a national title program who is now considered to be a blue blood. They will eventually get into the B1G or the SEC due to that. They won't be left out in the end, and neither will Clemson.

patdog

May 28, 2007
I don't know. Because of that ACC decision, they were able to develop themselves into a national title program who is now considered to be a blue blood. They will eventually get into the B1G or the SEC due to that. They won't be left out in the end, and neither will Clemson.
They were already a blue blood. Top 5 finishes in 5 straight seasons before joining ACC, and top 10 in 8 of 13 seasons.

Dawgzilla2

Oct 9, 2022
Few thoughts here:

(Paraphrasing Chicago alum Kurt Vonnegut here)

Imagine if Alabama decided today to terminate it's football program because the sport is inconsistent with its Academic goals. Then imagine they turned Bryant-Denny stadium into a lab to develop weapons of unthinkable mass destruction. That, is the University of Chicago.

5. SoCon really screwed up by enforcing their bowl ban. They could have been a strong conference for a long time, even with the SEC defections.

The BIG did not allow it's members to play in any bowls until 1946, and then the only exception was they allowed a team to play in the Rose Bowl. But a team couldn't play in the Rose Bowl in consecutive years, so sometimes the conference champion stayed home. They didn't expand into other bowls until the mid 70s.

Their conference seemed to do alright.

8. Funny that Notre Dame breaking away from the CFA to negotiate its NBC deal kind of led to all of these conference specific contracts and a lot of the realignment we see today.

What's not funny is the way that went down. The CFS schools were negotiating a new deal with ABC, when CBS and NBC both approached the SEC about breaking away and having their own TV deal. The BIG 10 commish and the ND President begged the SEC to stay with the CFA for the good of the sport. A few weeks later ND announces its deal with NBC.

10. Looking back, the SEC added freaking Arkansas and South Carolina in response to the Big Ten adding Penn State. Would have been laughed at today.

Had nothing to do with the BIG. The SEC wanted to have a championship game. Some members of the Birmingham Touchdown Club approached the SEC with an idea....the NCAA had a little-known rule that was passed to help out some of the conferences in lower divisions: if a conference had 12 or more members it could split into 2 divisions and add a championship game to its football schedule, exceeding the maximum of 11 games. They suggested the SEC add 2 teams and have a championship game. All they wanted in exchange for bringing up the idea was for Legion Field to host the first five championships (it only got to host 2).

7. Wild that the Big Ten was so dug in on trAdiShUn that they almost missed out on adding Penn State.

The wild thing to me is the animosity between the Big Ten and ND. ND seems like a natural fit for the BIG, but there used to be a really strong anti-Catholic bias in this Country, and particularly in the Mid West. ND would sometimes play BIG TEN schools, and the fans would treat them horribly. The BIG Ten wouldn't even consider letting the Irish join.

That bias may be gone, but hurt feelings still remain among powerful alums. ND will have to join a conference some day (for real, not this weird ACC affiliation they have), but I will really be surprised if it is ever the BIG.

Reactions: Dawgg

Dawgg

Sep 9, 2012

(Paraphrasing Chicago alum Kurt Vonnegut here)

Imagine if Alabama decided today to terminate it's football program because the sport is inconsistent with its Academic goals. Then imagine they turned Bryant-Denny stadium into a lab to develop weapons of unthinkable mass destruction. That, is the University of Chicago.

The BIG did not allow it's members to play in any bowls until 1946, and then the only exception was they allowed a team to play in the Rose Bowl. But a team couldn't play in the Rose Bowl in consecutive years, so sometimes the conference champion stayed home. They didn't expand into other bowls until the mid 70s.

Their conference seemed to do alright.

What's not funny is the way that went down. The CFS schools were negotiating a new deal with ABC, when CBS and NBC both approached the SEC about breaking away and having their own TV deal. The BIG 10 commish and the ND President begged the SEC to stay with the CFA for the good of the sport. A few weeks later ND announces its deal with NBC.

Had nothing to do with the BIG. The SEC wanted to have a championship game. Some members of the Birmingham Touchdown Club approached the SEC with an idea....the NCAA had a little-known rule that was passed to help out some of the conferences in lower divisions: if a conference had 12 or more members it could split into 2 divisions and add a championship game to its football schedule, exceeding the maximum of 11 games. They suggested the SEC add 2 teams and have a championship game. All they wanted in exchange for bringing up the idea was for Legion Field to host the first five championships (it only got to host 2).

The wild thing to me is the animosity between the Big Ten and ND. ND seems like a natural fit for the BIG, but there used to be a really strong anti-Catholic bias in this Country, and particularly in the Mid West. ND would sometimes play BIG TEN schools, and the fans would treat them horribly. The BIG Ten wouldn't even consider letting the Irish join.

That bias may be gone, but hurt feelings still remain among powerful alums. ND will have to join a conference some day (for real, not this weird ACC affiliation they have), but I will really be surprised if it is ever the BIG.
Crazy on the University of Chicago. I didn't know their football stadium was so involved in the Manhattan Project until you just said that and I looked it up. Pretty wild. I just know looking back at old rankings and football standings and stories about the Carlisle Indian School, you'd always see Chicago alongside the other powers of the time. They're Division III now.

Fair enough on the Big Ten vs SoCon, but from what I'm seeing, the Big Ten weren't fresh off half their members defecting while the bowl ban was in effect. I also think it's funny that Clemson was tired of being held down by the lower ranked members of its conference and was ready to bolt. 70 years later, some things never change.

I was 11 when Arkansas and SC joined, so I wasn't really aware of the politics, etc. of the time. It's just when reading it through the lense of the link as presented, it appeared to be reactionary to the Big Ten expanding. You're right though, adding the championship game had to be the big factor.

Yeah, it's really weird that ND never joined the Big Ten, but what you're saying makes sense. It just seems like such a natural fit. I wonder if those old biases and hurt feelings will ever wear off.

Speaking of ND, one thing I forgot to mention that made me chuckle was Georgia Tech going independent so they could become "The Notre Dame of The South".

Dawgg

Sep 9, 2012
They were already a blue blood. Top 5 finishes in 5 straight seasons before joining ACC, and top 10 in 8 of 13 seasons.
I wouldn't categorize that as a 'blue blood'. That was a team on a hot streak, like Clemson during this Dabo run.

FSU had ZERO claimed national championships before joining the ACC.

Reactions: Dawgzilla2
Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login