Congrats on getting Brittany Griner back

Status
Not open for further replies.

AstroDog

Oct 5, 2022
An amazing feat to get a trade for a LBGTQ WNBA 6'9" basketball player who was in custody about 9 months for a convicted deadly arms dealer who cost many American military lives. And too bad for Mr. Whelan who's been in custody for 4-5 years already. He just wasn't worth the value vs the power of the NBA/WNBA on the White House.

Lucifer Morningstar

Aug 30, 2022
It is great for Britney’s wife and family there is no doubt there. I think the problem here is who we traded her for and not getting Paul Whalen first. I have no problem with getting Britney back but trading her for the merchant of death was a bad trade. Also if I am Paul Whalens family what message does this send? I know they realeased a positive statement but they had to. I would love to know their behind the scenes thoughts on this.

57stratdawg

Mar 24, 2010
You ok with leaving Whalen over there while he has been there longer?
They’re working to get Whalen out too. Biden even mentioned him by name this morning. He’s charged with Espionage though - Griner was charged with a vape pen. Not exactly apples to apples.

Either way, here’s Whalen’s brother this morning to the NYT:

“There is no greater success than for a wrongful detainee to be freed and for them to go home,” Mr. Whelan’s brother David wrote in an email to The New York Times. “The Biden administration made the right decision to bring Ms. Griner home, and to make the deal that was possible, rather than waiting for one that wasn’t going to happen.”

This story is nothing but roses and sunshine for everyone involved.

ababyatemydingo

Nov 27, 2008
An amazing feat to get a trade for a LBGTQ WNBA 6'9" basketball player who was in custody about 9 months for a convicted deadly arms dealer who cost many American military lives. And too bad for Mr. Whelan who's been in custody for 4-5 years already. He just wasn't worth the value vs the power of the NBA/WNBA on the White House.
side note. Viktor Bout is the arms dealer that the character in the movie Hitman was based on. VERY bad dude. The world just got a lot more dangerous with him out of jail.

horshack.sixpack

Oct 30, 2012
Who cares?
Loving America is not a condition of being helped. Holy **** you guys are 17ing awful human beings.
Things that seem to stand out about this.

1) she was incredibly stupid or she wouldn't have been arrested. The level of dumb to do what she did IN RUSSIA is not measurable on any scale.

2) Whatever was in store for her in Russian prison was not likely to resemble what we would call justice, so her getting free is good for her and people who care about her.

3) From a pure national interest perspective, the trade seems lopsided.

4) If there are any deaths that subsequently result from the release of this arms dealer going forward, it will be directly on Washington and indirectly tie right back to her original stupidity that put our country in a position to have to make such a deal in the first place.

5) For the reasons above, I don't have much of a stomach for seeing her return to some kind of hero's welcome, so I'm hoping that isn't how it plays out. If she walks out anything other than humbled, thankful and apologetic, I don't want to hear it.

Dawgg

Sep 9, 2012
side note. Viktor Bout is the arms dealer that the character in the movie Hitman was based on. VERY bad dude. The world just got a lot more dangerous with him out of jail.
Hitman is based on a video game about cloned assassins.

Are you thinking of Nicholas Cage in Lord of War?

POTUS

Sep 29, 2022
Who could predict that constantly demonizing significant segments of the population would make them callous toward you?

Brooklyn Nine-Nine GIF by PeacockTV

ababyatemydingo

Nov 27, 2008
Hitman is based on a video game about cloned assassins.

Are you thinking of Nicholas Cage in Lord of War?
yes, it was the Cage movie. not Hitman. I know it was based on the game. Heard a radio guy say the arms dealer in it was based on Bout. bad info

horshack.sixpack

Oct 30, 2012
Yes it is lopsided. Im thankful to know that a regular *** American citizen is worth a Russian arms dealer.
How many lives lost, through no fault of their own, that result from his release is one regular *** American citizen worth? Are those potential lives lost worth less than the one who was stuck in prison of her own doing? If so, what is the ratio? 4 REALLY regular *** Americans per WNBA star? 1:1?

It's perfectly OK to have reservations about this deal that are based in the reality of what just happened and not have any ill will towards Griner.

bolddogge

Aug 23, 2012
They’re working to get Whalen out too. Biden even mentioned him by name this morning. He’s charged with Espionage though - Griner was charged with a vape pen. Not exactly apples to apples.

Either way, here’s Whalen’s brother this morning to the NYT:

“There is no greater success than for a wrongful detainee to be freed and for them to go home,” Mr. Whelan’s brother David wrote in an email to The New York Times. “The Biden administration made the right decision to bring Ms. Griner home, and to make the deal that was possible, rather than waiting for one that wasn’t going to happen.”

This story is nothing but roses and sunshine for everyone involved.
Trading the merchant of death for someone charged with spying sounds like an even trade. Trading him for a pot vaping basketball player is stupid.

Walkthedawg

Oct 3, 2022
Good for her and her family.

No reason to try to put some sh*tty spin on it.
Read up on what the dude we swapped did. He armed thousands of terrorists with weapons that killed civilians and started conflicts. He is one of the reasons warlords who starve the populace in Africa have their weapons to do so.

we traded that dude for a basketball player who broke Russian law.

and left the Marine.

Reactions: WilCoDawg

Dawgg

Sep 9, 2012
and left the Marine.

Have you read a lot on Paul Whelan, his discharge from the Marines, or his arrest in Russia?

I feel like a lot of folks are lionizing him because of the word “Marine”, which is fair because he served our country, or because of their dislike of Griner, but it’s not like he’s some innocent.

That being said, he’s an American citizen and I would rather he be here than there and was hoping he would he included in any deal, but I can’t be upset with getting any American home.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login