Construction guys…..question about a metal building

1msucub

Oct 3, 2004
My business is located in a small block building that was constructed in 1981. If my plan comes together, I hope to acquire a small amount of space adjacent to it in order to expand. The current building has some valuable concrete and cinder block runs as well as good usable space that I don’t want to tear down. Therefore, I’m looking to add a larger rectangular metal building/shell that incorporates the existing structure and expands on it.

Is this doable/ridiculous/unheard of/brilliant/affordable? I understand that cost has too many variables to list, but assuming minimal ground prep and no weird factors, is this a decent plan?

I’d love any input from anybody qualified to speak on it. Thanks, fellas.

garddog

Dec 10, 2008
Be careful if you have to demo any cinderblock walls. Breathing the dust can cause serious lung issues. Adds a good bit to cost if you hire that done.

Lowdog

Jan 1, 2019
Do yourself a favor, hire a reputable contractor to build. Built a commercial metal building 30’x40’ years ago. The contractor I used kept dragging his feet to start construction. The building came in and sat on site for several months. One of the people doors ended up being stolen. I paid this guy what I owed him to that point and told him to hit the road. Hired another guy, two weeks later building was completed.

1msucub

Oct 3, 2004
Bump...

Hate to bump a 10 day old thread, but I'd like to see if anybody has more input on this. I thank y'all, and won't bump it again.

The Peeper

Feb 26, 2008
It's pretty common to have a 1 story type brick office building in front and then it opens up into a much larger height ceiling warehouse/metal building behind the brick office portion if that's what you're talking about. Tying the 2 together since the block one is pre-existing would be the tricky part here but I would think very doable for someone that knows what the heck they're doing.

1msucub

Oct 3, 2004
Civil...send it again if you don't mind. For some reason it came with some sort of spam message that screwed yours up. Thanks, friend.

kb549

Oct 6, 2014
I had an order in on mine right before the shutdown in 2020, and had it finished by the end of summer. Just missed all the price hikes. I subbed it all out (dirt work, forming/finishing, erecting/assembly. I bought the building from Reed’s. I used them for the insulation. Looking back I might have been able to save a few hundred dollars, but it was worth it to me to not have to calculate waste for cutouts, ends, etc. I built a 40’ x 45’ x 16’ with 2 12’x14’ roll ups. 4” concrete slab with footers and a 17 load of rebar.

I built it for approximately $40,000 ~$22/sf

everyone I had quote it was anywhere from $25-40/sf for the same building/options turnkey.

The guy I used is from Bay Springs, but he travels MS/AL/LA. Does a lot of work around Starkville. If you’re interested, I’ll dig up his name.

garddog

Dec 10, 2008
I used Reeds last time also. You can go up taller also, it is still cheap as long as you have it designed to use standard lengths.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login