Corey Ellington returns from the portal

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
Must not have had any NIL offers.
I hope we called his bluff. I get this is all new, and guys are going to get caught up and make mistakes. But we need to tell every guy that gets in the portal to kick rocks. They can come back if they want, but we can't let them use it for leverage. Again, this is another way of zigging when everybody else is zagging.

We need hungry football players at MSU, that's why I like the JUCO route. We want guys looking to prove themselves, needing playing time, and hoping to make it to the NFL. We don't do well with the money grubbing primadonnas and never have. Now, does this mean we don't pay anybody? Of course not. But we need to be wise with our NIL and never use it for funny shlt like this. I hope we have learned our lesson from Tulu and Thomas last year, no player is worth this kinda stuff. Leach probably would have ran them both off and had a better year due to it.

Leeshouldveflanked

Nov 12, 2016
If I was a standout player, I would put my name in the Portal ever year to see what the market would offer, but an average mid level SEC player is taking a big risk putting their name in the Portal.

uptowndawg

Jul 15, 2010
If I was a standout player, I would put my name in the Portal ever year to see what the market would offer, but an average mid level SEC player is taking a big risk putting their name in the Portal.
Why is it a risk? You can always go back to where you were. If your team is shopping for players then they should let the players shop for programs without passing judgement.

Reactions: Fang1

TaleofTwoDogs

Jun 1, 2004
Why is it a risk? You can always go back to where you were. If your team is shopping for players then they should let the players shop for programs without passing judgement.
The risk is that the coaches may not want you back. The coaches are looking out for their program and their jobs and will fill the kid's position pretty quick with someone equal or better. That's the risk.

85Bears

Jan 12, 2020
I hope we called his bluff. I get this is all new, and guys are going to get caught up and make mistakes. But we need to tell every guy that gets in the portal to kick rocks. They can come back if they want, but we can't let them use it for leverage. Again, this is another way of zigging when everybody else is zagging.

We need hungry football players at MSU, that's why I like the JUCO route. We want guys looking to prove themselves, needing playing time, and hoping to make it to the NFL. We don't do well with the money grubbing primadonnas and never have. Now, does this mean we don't pay anybody? Of course not. But we need to be wise with our NIL and never use it for funny shlt like this. I hope we have learned our lesson from Tulu and Thomas last year, no player is worth this kinda stuff. Leach probably would have ran them both off and had a better year due to it.
Agree, and on most teams this kid would probably have his bluff called, but I don’t think we have the roster depth to let him go. it’s like Lasoya, yea we can replace him but we are going to have to spend limited resources to get a player as good to replace him.

basically he probably got a pay raise.

3dawgnight

Aug 27, 2012
I find it somewhat humorous that we have fans dedicated enough to peruse a message board but don’t recognize one of our defensive backs that started several games and played in all of them.

85Bears

Jan 12, 2020
I think Nicholson has a good offer from Kentucky, pretty sure he hated Arnetts staff, a lot of these guys did.

uptowndawg

Jul 15, 2010
You can’t always go back. I saw where I think it was Texas policy that if you enter the portal, you’re gone.
Ok. And you’re prob right right, idk. But Im not sure if I’m for that or not. And I think the current system is mostly 17d up and needs help. But if we want to treat it like an open market the same as we would most employees and companies and I had to publicly announce anytime i emailed out my resume and my company didn’t have to announce to me anytime they interviewed my potential replacement then it wouldnt be fair. Which neither of us announce either but… bringing that back to football and making a player being the only party to tip their hand in the current system is a bit unfair.

Reactions: Dawg84

patdog

May 28, 2007
Ok. And you’re prob right right, idk. But Im not sure if I’m for that or not. And I think the current system is mostly 17d up and needs help. But if we want to treat it like an open market the same as we would most employees and companies and I had to publicly announce anytime i emailed out my resume and my company didn’t have to announce to me anytime they interviewed my potential replacement then it wouldnt be fair. Which neither of us announce either but… bringing that back to football and making a player being the only party to tip their hand in the current system is a bit unfair.
Simple solution. Players can sign on for contracts from 1-4 years. If a players contract expires, he’s an unrestricted free agent. If he’s still under contract, the schools & player negotiate a transfer fee. This system has worked for decades in European soccer.

Hot Rock

Jan 2, 2010
Wrong, they do not have to take you back.

YesIAmAPirate

Oct 3, 2022
revenge of the sith episode 3 GIF by Star Wars

• Haha
Reactions: eckie1

uptowndawg

Jul 15, 2010
Wrong, they do not have to take you back.
“Can” take you back… again. I’m assuming that if you’re worth shopping yourself then you’re worth being brought back.

I didn’t say they have to take them back. WrOnG!.!!.!!

Last edited:

Hot Rock

Jan 2, 2010
“Can” take you back… again. I’m assuming that if you’re worth shopping yourself then you’re worth being brought back.

I didn’t say they have to take them back. WrOnG!.!!.!
Have you ever looked at what happens to guys that enter portal?

20-40% chance you improve you situation, unless your goal was to get to play at any level rather than ride the bench. An LSU OL came to State, no doubt LSU could have and would have paid him to stay but he can most likely start here but not there.

Most P5 transfer go to G5 or FCS and not to another P5 and even fewer get an opportunity to play for a better team.

NOW, it does matter the Individual situation. If you want to test waters, do so in back channels before entering portal before to protect oneself.

catvet

May 11, 2009
Ellington went to Oregon on a visit so I have no idea how that went other than he's back here. If DeCarlos is smart he'll be back as well

Studentdawg06

Oct 1, 2023

You’re even dumber than I thought

HumpDawgy

Apr 6, 2010
If I were the coach, that would be my priority to fill that scholly with someone else from the portal as quickly as possible, just to make a statement. If it is a reserve, 2 deeper, then it shouldn't be hard to bring someone in quickly with equal or better talent. Unfortunately with Lebby, it seems not many defensive guys want to bite.

kired

Aug 22, 2008
If I were the coach, that would be my priority to fill that scholly with someone else from the portal as quickly as possible, just to make a statement. If it is a reserve, 2 deeper, then it shouldn't be hard to bring someone in quickly with equal or better talent. Unfortunately with Lebby, it seems not many defensive guys want to bite.
Ellington is literally our most experienced returning player on the roster - probably played twice as much as anyone else we have. Pretty solid player. He's not a guy we want to run off, especially considering we lost our other 2 safeties and 3 or 4 of our top linebackers. We don't have many other DBs / LBs that have ever even made a tackle in an SEC game.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login