Could be a bumpy week for the markets

57stratdawg

Mar 24, 2010
We saw a solid run of profit taking late on Friday. Monday opens lower.

They’ve basically priced in a 25 BP hike. Anything other than “good news” will probably sour some traders.

If Powell confirms a hawkish approach, and we get another 50BP, there will be a lot of red.

Reactions: Ghostman and mo7888

horshack.sixpack

Oct 30, 2012
Honestly, market perturbations are a big reason that have increased my holdings in stocks with solid dividends. The market can reward/punish stocks but companies that have strong balance sheets that pay dividends rarely stop paying dividends.

ETA: the brokerage account that holds these stocks is producing a little over 6.5% of the portfolio value in income annually, which isn't too bad.

57stratdawg

Mar 24, 2010
Bump. Should be getting Powell comments in a few minutes.

Let the roller coaster begin!

TrueMaroonGrind

Jan 6, 2017
NPR reporters said the most likely outcome would be an increase but smaller than the last few increases.

57stratdawg

Mar 24, 2010
Powell keeps talking about “keeping inflationary expectations in check”, but they were never very carried away. Even in 2021 / Early 2022 I remember seeing inflation expectations in the markets being like 2% - 3% by the end of 2023. It was similar in the consumer surveys.

Those concerns always felt manufactured to me.

AstroDog

Oct 5, 2022
Fedex laying off over 10% of their management. Not sure what that means, but usually many Wall St. firms place their outlook on how Fedex goes.

TrueMaroonGrind

Jan 6, 2017
Fedex laying off over 10% of their management. Not sure what that means, but usually many Wall St. firms place their outlook on how Fedex goes.
Mostly directors and VPs were let go. No direct managers that I’ve heard. Only the second time layoffs have happened at FedEx I believe. FedEx is a low margin business and they aggressively grow their network to gain more volume. Idk if that directly led to their poor performance the last couple of quarters, but it has led to poor quarters or fantastic quarters in the past. No matter what the cause they have been cutting cost big time for a few months and this was the biggest cut of all. Apparently they thought there were too many Directors and VPs. Getting rid of those fat paychecks and guaranteed bonuses can save them a whole lot of money.

greenbean.sixpack

Oct 6, 2012
I jumped back into equities late last week, let's hope for a few more good days and I'll jump back into cash.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login