Could the City of Starkville annex campus?

StateCollege

Oct 17, 2022
As we all know, campus is outside the city limits and technically defined as Mississippi State, MS. What would be the pros and cons of the City annexing campus? Of course I don't know if such a thing is even possible, but State and Ole Miss are the only SEC schools outside of their primary city. I imagine it would have massive tax ramifications that would be bad for the school but good for the city, but would be interested to hear what good or bad it could do for both MSU and Starkville. I'm not suggesting it, just wondering if it has ever been a consideration from either side.

The Peeper

Feb 26, 2008
Spruill tried a little over a year ago when she tried to get a bunch of other area around it, but the campus was pulled out eventually due to their resistance to the idea. They saw no advantage to it. The same as the rest of the area that didn't want to be included either, but, she got some of it just not all that she wanted.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
I am sure that overall, it would likely be a good thing in the long term, but short term, probably better for Starkville than MSU. That's why they want it. And, you have the long-running divide between the two, that, while it's gotten better, will take decades to truly repair. And while not technically meaningful, I mean Spruill mentioned A.J. Brown at the national title ceremony. That level of self-deluded mindlessness doesn't send a great message.

L4Dawg

Oct 27, 2016
As we all know, campus is outside the city limits and technically defined as Mississippi State, MS. What would be the pros and cons of the City annexing campus? Of course I don't know if such a thing is even possible, but State and Ole Miss are the only SEC schools outside of their primary city. I imagine it would have massive tax ramifications that would be bad for the school but good for the city, but would be interested to hear what good or bad it could do for both MSU and Starkville. I'm not suggesting it, just wondering if it has ever been a consideration from either side.
There would be no tax ramifications for MSU.

Shmuley

Mar 6, 2008
^^^ Thinks an IHL (political subdivision of the State) is subject to municipal taxation.

Reactions: CoastTrash

Mobile Bay

Jul 26, 2020
I would think the University would not want SPD policing campus. Too much potential for bad press that way.

Johnnie Come Lately

Nov 4, 2022
The only tax ramifications that might exist would be related to sales tax. In Mississippi, municipalities get a share of the sales tax collections within their jurisdiction. Sales tax collected outside of a city / in a county all stay with the State. I think the City MIGHT get a share of sales tax collections on campus if it were to be annexed. I have no idea how significant that would be.

StateCollege

Oct 17, 2022
^^^ Thinks an IHL (political subdivision of the State) is subject to municipal taxation.
Pardon me Dr. John Q. Civics, I was just throwing it out there. Is it really that crazy to suggest that purchases made on Campus might be then subject to a municipal food and beverage tax or something?

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
The only tax ramifications that might exist would be related to sales tax. In Mississippi, municipalities get a share of the sales tax collections within their jurisdiction. Sales tax collected outside of a city / in a county all stay with the State. I think the City MIGHT get a share of sales tax collections on campus if it were to be annexed. I have no idea how significant that would be.
In that vein, where do the sales taxes go that are meant for Mississippi State, MS? Or is this just part of the County, i.e. not incorporated or something?

ETA: Looks like it's just a census-designated place. So I guess the tax fight would be between City and County. Only other thing I could see being affected is civil services? Police and such? Maybe utilities?

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006
Yawn. Same old crap. **

You never see any posts about why MSU should annex Starkville. **

GloryDawg

Mar 3, 2005
Mississippi State is owned by the State of Mississippi. I am guessing it is impossible. I would imagine the State would have to sell it to them.

Reactions: Spotdawg

Johnnie Come Lately

Nov 4, 2022
In that vein, where do the sales taxes go that are meant for Mississippi State, MS? Or is this just part of the County, i.e. not incorporated or something?

ETA: Looks like it's just a census-designated place. So I guess the tax fight would be between City and County. Only other thing I could see being affected is civil services? Police and such? Maybe utilities?
The county would get/gets no sales tax. I assume the school is fully exempt from any property taxes. By law, a municipality gets about 18% of sales tax collections within. Any sales tax not collected inside of a municipality goes 100% to the State. I think their are exceptions for special districts that are not a municipality.

WrapItDog

Aug 23, 2012
Mississippi State is owned by the State of Mississippi. I am guessing it is impossible. I would imagine the State would have to sell it to them.

The State of Mississippi owns a lot of property in Jackson.

Does Tater send a rent check to the City of Jackson every month for the Governors Mansion**

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012

Does Tater send a rent check to the City of Jackson every month for the Governors Mansion**
They pay for water and sewer each month. Or they would, if Jackson could figure out how to bill properly.

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
Maybe they can annex The District graveyard. (Half those folks probably are voting anyway) Move them to a new location.
Somewhere I have a post explaining how we should do a development over that graveyard. Building Scott field over a burial ground has worked out so well for us, seems crazy to let that graveyard separate downtown and the cotton district.

GloryDawg

Mar 3, 2005

His rent is part of his benefit package. I would imagine since he is so close, he probably spends most of his time at home.

The Peeper

Feb 26, 2008
What about cafeteria foods (Aramark), text books, shirts, caps, coats, etc (Barnes & Noble), concessions ($10 beer, stale pretzels, Coke in cups that smell like ***)

paindonthurt

Jun 27, 2009
Why would this ever be a good thing?

maybe there are reasons but tell me 1 and make it make sense like I’m a 100 iq.

ronpolk

May 6, 2009
Starkville - MSU = Eupora

MSU + Meridian > Jackson
I seen other on here suggest something similar about meridian… what am I missing here? Admittedly, I didn’t grow up in MS, so I’ve really only spent time in Jackson area, Starkville, Oxford, Hattiesburg and the coast… but I really think about meridian about the same I think about Greenville.

I’m not trying to be condescending, it’s a legit question.

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
I seen other on here suggest something similar about meridian… what am I missing here? Admittedly, I didn’t grow up in MS, so I’ve really only spent time in Jackson area, Starkville, Oxford, Hattiesburg and the coast… but I really think about meridian about the same I think about Greenville.

I don't think Meridian is as bad as Greenville but you are correct there is nothing special about it. I think it's just somewhere that was a decent sized town for Mississippi that would have made more sense than locating our two major universities in the northern part of the state an hour and a half away from each other. Plus we have a satellite campus there.

Biggest advantage would have probably been having MSU 1.5 hours from Jackson while Ole Miss would have been 2.5 hours (at least now; for a long time both of those numbers would have been larger and the gap would have been larger too). Then you have Hattiesburg within an hour and a half and the Coast within 2.5 to 2.75 hours away depending on which part you're talking about.

Certainly in hindsight that would have been better than putting it in Starkville. Who knows how much stronger MSU and Mississippi would be if it had pulled half the students from the coast and hattiesburg that went to LSU over the past century. Meridian certainly hasn't had great leadership, but it probably couldn't have been worse than Starkville has been as far as animosity towards the university.

NWADawg

May 4, 2016
The rules for annexing may be different in MS that in AR but I can tell you how it works in AR. Surely the laws are at least similar.

A city can annex a non-incorporated (not inside city limits) by public vote of city + annex area - majority wins. The annex area is usually very small compared to the annexing city and has little say.

If a city is trying to annex a incorporated area or more that one city votes to annex the same non-incorporated area, the citizens of the area to be annexed gets to vote on what happens.

If State campus is defined as a city, the citizens of State would get to decide. Not sure if students would be considered citizens since dorms are temporary and many live off campus.

Mr. Cook

Nov 4, 2021

Simple: Better utilities infrastructure

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login