Could there be a worse follow up to our national title?

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
Completely unbelievable. From the NCAA turning college sports on its head literally the following week, to Ole Miss winning, to Leach dying, to LSU pulling the baseball Cam Newton on us, to us improving to Polk 2 level (how depressing is that), and then Tennessee winning. It honestly can't get any worse.

Getting close to my breaking point with Mississippi State. I mean why not, may as well go ahead and watch Ole Miss make a football playoff run, and Arkansas get them a baseball championship next year.

I knew there would be a price to pay, and I also said that if we could win one natty, then my sports fandom was complete. I just didn't realize it would all come so immediately.

dawgman42

Jul 24, 2007

DesotoCountyDawg

Nov 16, 2005
Completely unbelievable. From the NCAA turning college sports on its head literally the following week, to Ole Miss winning, to Leach dying, to LSU pulling the baseball Cam Newton on us, to us improving to Polk 2 level (how depressing is that), and then Tennessee winning. It honestly can't get any worse.

Getting close to my breaking point with Mississippi State. I mean why not, may as well go ahead and watch Ole Miss make a football playoff run, and Arkansas get them a baseball championship next year.

I knew there would be a price to pay, and I also said that if we could win one natty, then my sports fandom was complete. I just didn't realize it would all come so immediately.
Over It Abandon Thread GIF

RockyDog

Jan 2, 2023
At least we got one. Can you imagine how stupid the “MSU invented college baseball” crowd would look if we weren’t one of the natty winners in this current run?

maroonmania

Feb 23, 2008
KY winning it would’ve been worse.
I agree. Vitello getting one was just a matter of time. He is the best coach in the country right now. Just glad we got one because I think it's the only one I will ever see. Pay for play in baseball has diminished the advantages we have had. Fan support, facilities and tradition mean less now to recruits than they ever have.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
The number of people that can't be happy winning a natty is astonishing really. Some people act like they took it away from us.
You're not wrong, but it has been devalued, with Ole Miss and Tennessee winning one.

LSU? Eh, who cares, they've won so many anyways.

Reactions: BossDawg78

HomeBoyDawg

Oct 22, 2013

young frankenstein igor GIF
Could be raining.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
I agree. Vitello getting one was just a matter of time. He is the best coach in the country right now.
That's a good way of looking at it. Once he leaves I imagine Tennessee withers away.

Just glad we got one because I think it's the only one I will ever see. Pay for play in baseball has diminished the advantages we have had. Fan support, facilities and tradition mean less now to recruits than they ever have.
I don't believe this. There's about 5-6 schools out there actively buying players, and they are all in the SEC. And we have decent NIL ourselves. But it gets back to the point above about Vitello, it's still about about players wanting to play for you AND your resources, whether that's NIL, stadium, fanbase, whatever.

615dawg

Jun 4, 2007
A conversation that is being had in my circle of friends is college sports fandom is dying.

It used to be that you cheered for your classmates, and as alums we cheered for athletes that chose the same college we did. We go back to campus and have fond memories, see old friends and eventually watch our own children make their path. Every time my dad came to campus to visit me, he'd mention how this used to be here or there - I do the same things with my kids - "This used to be malfunction junction!"

Now, players are getting paid, they can transfer at will so there is no loyalty - they just picked the spot best for them for that particular season. Campbell baseball just had all 30 players enter the transfer portal because they didn't like the coaching change. What the hell have we done?

We've sold out to corporatize the game day experience so much that we are about to slap the c spire logo on the 25 yard line. It's made it way down to the high school level - "That's a Kinkade's yellow flag in the Trustmark Red Zone as we come to the close of the Old Towne Cleaners first quarter. Now here's a word from our sponsors."

Add in that our state universities are doing a great job preparing students for jobs in neighboring states and it's borderline depressing.

$altyDawg

Aug 30, 2018
The number of people that think that winning one gets someone a lifetime pass against poor decision making, evaluating talent, and just general inept decision making astonishes me
This is exactly right. We went to the final 4 in basketball in 96 and haven't sniffed the sweet 16 since. That's closing in on 30 years ago, so how long am I supposed to ride the illusion that everything's ok?

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
A conversation that is being had in my circle of friends is college sports fandom is dying.

It used to be that you cheered for your classmates, and as alums we cheered for athletes that chose the same college we did. We go back to campus and have fond memories, see old friends and eventually watch our own children make their path. Every time my dad came to campus to visit me, he'd mention how this used to be here or there - I do the same things with my kids - "This used to be malfunction junction!"

Now, players are getting paid, they can transfer at will so there is no loyalty - they just picked the spot best for them for that particular season. Campbell baseball just had all 30 players enter the transfer portal because they didn't like the coaching change. What the hell have we done?

We've sold out to corporatize the game day experience so much that we are about to slap the c spire logo on the 25 yard line. It's made it way down to the high school level - "That's a Kinkade's yellow flag in the Trustmark Red Zone as we come to the close of the Old Towne Cleaners first quarter. Now here's a word from our sponsors."

Add in that our state universities are doing a great job preparing students for jobs in neighboring states and it's borderline depressing.
Two separate issues here, you have the portal and then you have the brain drain.

- On the portal, the NCAA REALLY screwed this up. NIL should have been passed in 1985 at the latest, and they should have formed a whole enforcement branch to make sure it was real NIL, there were contracts, and it wasn't booster pay-for-play. Would boosters still game the system? Sure, but it would have cut out most all the lawsuits that started this mess. Had we done that, immediate eligibility wouldn't have been a big push, and you could just keep it as is, where you sit a year.

- On the brain drain, until we retain employers in the state (mainly by developing our biggest metro area i.e. Jackson) that will continue. And hey, I have to give it to Ole Miss - somehow they keep living on booster donations and getting out-of-state metro area kids to come in there and transform into future boosters even when they get back to Dallas, Atlanta, wherever. And they all buy gameday homes in Oxford.

Reactions: Crossroaddawg

L4Dawg

Oct 27, 2016
I always said if we ever won a natty in something a certain % of our fans would find some reason to ***** about it. YEP.

ckDOG

Dec 11, 2007
@Shmuley please give this man a refresher on conference moron equilibrium or whatever it is you named it. It's Gospel truth (no disrespect intended, Rabbi).

ETK99

Jul 30, 2019
The number of people that think that winning one gets someone a lifetime pass against poor decision making, evaluating talent, and just general inept decision making astonishes me
That's going to take care of itself. The AD went all in on the contract after the natty and we're stuck with it after a regional year. Is what it is. Doesn't change a thing about winning the natty.

ETK99

Jul 30, 2019
You're not wrong, but it has been devalued, with Ole Miss and Tennessee winning one.

LSU? Eh, who cares, they've won so many anyways.
It's baseball. Nobody but the SEC and ACC give a crap, so one of those teams is going to win it for the foreseeable future unless the Big12 ups its game. The odds of any SEC team winning it are pretty high.

ETK99

Jul 30, 2019
I'd suggest a mental health checkup for some of you guys. Really, it's not a bad idea when you lose interest in everything and things are all bad because they aren't the same as 50 years ago.

Reactions: Maroon Eagle

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006
I'd suggest a mental health checkup for some of you guys. Really, it's not a bad idea when you lose interest in everything and things are all bad because they aren't the same as 50 years ago.

Exactly.

Things change and people change.

I’ve been involved in education for almost 50 years— first as a student and now as an employee— and I bet some of y’all still miss the smell of mimeographed paper.

DesotoCountyDawg

Nov 16, 2005
Exactly.

I’ve been involved in education for almost 50 years— first as a student and now as an employee— and I bet some of y’all still miss the smell of mimeographed paper.
The smell of the dry erase markers used with the overhead projector.

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022

Meh….still wouldn’t trade it.

HumpDawgy

Apr 6, 2010
My issue is that we have never won the cow milking national championship which is "udderly" ridiculous.

The Peeper

Feb 26, 2008
Exactly.

There's a word I haven't heard in ages, wasn't that the purple stuff? My mom typed the church bulletin on carbon paper for years and then would hand crank this round drum copier that output purple typed copies of the stuff she had typed on the carbon paper

The Peeper

Feb 26, 2008
There's a word I haven't heard in ages, wasn't that the purple stuff? My mom typed the church bulletin on carbon paper for years and then would hand crank this round drum copier that output purple typed copies of the stuff she had typed on the carbon paper
Here it is, I can still smell it now and that was over 50 years ago when she did that:

1719350170247.png

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login