Cowboys #1 seed

pseudonym

Oct 6, 2022
The Cowboys lost two OT games to inferior teams on the road (Packers/Jaguars).

Had they won one of those two, they would just have to beat Washington next week to clinch the #1 seed in the NFC.

Because they lost both of those games, they need the following to clinch #1:
  • Win @ Washington
  • Eagles lose to NYG
  • 49ers lose to Cardinals
They will probably be the 5-seed traveling to Tampa.

I know every team has close losses, but that’s a huge swing on two close games, just needing one of them. Could be the difference in a trip to the Super Bowl.

MSUDC11-2.0

Sep 29, 2022
To be fair, neither of those losses look as bad now as they did at the time. Jags and Packers are both red hot and a win away from making the Playoffs.

I will say that both conferences feel wide open this year. There will be a couple of teams that get in that probably can’t win it all, but not sure there’s a clear cut favorite in either league.

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022
The Cowboys lost two OT games to inferior teams on the road (Packers/Jaguars).

Had they won one of those two, they would just have to beat Washington next week to clinch the #1 seed in the NFC.

Because they lost both of those games, they need the following to clinch #1:
  • Win @ Washington
  • Eagles lose to NYG
  • 49ers lose to Cardinals
They will probably be the 5-seed traveling to Tampa.

I know every team has close losses, but that’s a huge swing on two close games, just needing one of them. Could be the difference in a trip to the Super Bowl.

I mean you kind of alluded to it, but Dallas isn’t the only NFC team with losses to questionable teams. At least all their losses to those teams were close, and all 4 losses are against teams in the playoffs or in contention heading into Week 18.

Eagles just lost at home by double digits to the awful Saints in a game that could have clinched the NFC East for them. Also lost at home to confirmed non-playoff team Washington when they were at full strength.

Minnesota got destroyed by the same Packers team that narrowly beat Dallas, and lost to the 17ing Lions.

Three of the worst teams in the NFL are the Bears, Broncos, and Falcons, and all 3 of them beat the 49ers.

And so on, and so on.

Reactions: Cantdoitsal

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022
I will say that both conferences feel wide open this year. There will be a couple of teams that get in that probably can’t win it all, but not sure there’s a clear cut favorite in either league.

I agree about each conference being open, but I think the AFC has got a big *** advantage in terms of the Super Bowl. Playoffs and the SB itself are usually about the QB’s carrying their teams. I’m way more confident in whoever comes out of that group with Allen, Herbert, Mahomes, Lamar, and Burrow than I am in anyone coming out of the NFC. And I’d certainly bet on one of those 5 being in the SB.

DesotoCountyDawg

Nov 16, 2005
I mean you kind of alluded to it, but Dallas isn’t the only NFC team with losses to questionable teams. At least all their losses to those teams were close, and all 4 losses are against teams in the playoffs or in contention heading into Week 18.

Eagles just lost at home by double digits to the awful Saints in a game that could have clinched the NFC East for them. Also lost at home to confirmed non-playoff team Washington when they were at full strength.

Minnesota got destroyed by the same Packers team that narrowly beat Dallas, and lost to the 17ing Lions.

Three of the worst teams in the NFL are the Bears, Broncos, and Falcons, and all 3 of them beat the 49ers.

And so on, and so on.
The Lions are 8-8. It’s not like they’re a trash team. They would be in the playoffs if their defense didn’t play like asscheeks.

kired

Aug 22, 2008
To be fair, neither of those losses look as bad now as they did at the time. Jags and Packers are both red hot and a win away from making the Playoffs.

Yeah the Jags are on fire right now. Probably going to finish with a 5 game win streak, and winning 7 of their last 9

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022
The Lions are 8-8. It’s not like they’re a trash team. They would be in the playoffs if their defense didn’t play like asscheeks.

Yes, they are 8-8. Just like Jacksonville (who beat Dallas), Green Bay (who beat Dallas and Minnesota), Washington (who beat Philly and are actually 7-8-1), and better than the Falcons / Bears / Broncos who all beat the 49ers.

Point being - there’s no point in lamenting the Jacksonville / Green Bay games if you’re a Dallas fan. The other elite teams in the NFC have losses as bad or worse in all cases. The biggest crime Dallas is guilty of is being in the same division as the most dominant team in the NFL for most of the year. If they are in the North or South, they cruise to the bye easily.

Reactions: BoDawg.sixpack

pseudonym

Oct 6, 2022

And so on, and so on.
My point is the significance of the swing in playoff position on one game when you have two OT losses against teams with worse records. The difference in the 1-seed and 5-seed is huge. I’m not saying those two teams are awful.

The Cowboys have no one to blame but themselves. It just shows how every game, possession, play counts.

Reactions: HRMSU

BonzoGoesToCollege

Aug 24, 2012
Doesn’t matter where they’re seeded. They won’t win any meaningful playoff games because of the Jerry Jones dumbass factor.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login