Crawfish season is getting close

Car Ramrod.sixpack

Sep 21, 2017
$13.95/LB in Shreveport currently
Eddie Murphy What GIF by Laff

dorndawg

Sep 10, 2012
fox broadcasting fox. foxtv GIF by Hell's Kitchen's Kitchen

I love them but they are a lot of work for little reward when they are cheap. It's a 100% nope from me at that price
hell, 3.95 still feels expensive to me. When I was a little kid, late 80s early 90s, crawfish still hadn't really gotten popular in South Miss, I think they were something like 25 cents a pound live.

PooPopsBaldHead

Dec 15, 2017
I think the yield of tail meat to crawfish overall weight is about 15-20%. So at $13.95 per lbs for live crawfish we are really talking $70-$90 per lb of meat.... Bwahhhhaaaa. 17 that. Y'all better be cracking those little claws looking for a little something more at that price.

Trojanbulldog19

Aug 25, 2014
It's going to be high. Markets in my neck of the woods have already said it would be. Folks around here eat crawfish in December. I usually start in February if temps are agreeable to boil. It will depend on what prices are if I start around Fat Tuesday. Typically would do one but it's probably gonna be a cold *****.

aTotal360

Nov 12, 2009
You ain't had them right then
Line up the following on a table (assume they are all cooked to perfection), what are you taking last...
Steak (any damn type)
Brisket
Ribs
Pulled Pork
Crab legs
Lobster
Shrimp
Crawfish

In any crowd, the crawfish will get the least amount of action. People like the boil for the beer and sides, but deep down inside, they would rather have shrimp instead. It was passable when they were $0.69/lb. Now it's just a novelty for city slickers. Most inefficient food you can get.

BulldogBlitz

Dec 11, 2008
Line up the following on a table (assume they are all cooked to perfection), what are you taking last...
Steak (any damn type)
Brisket
Ribs
Pulled Pork
Crab legs
Lobster
Shrimp
Crawfish

In any crowd, the crawfish will get the least amount of action. People like the boil for the beer and sides, but deep down inside, they would rather have shrimp instead. It was passable when they were $0.69/lb. Now it's just a novelty for city slickers. Most inefficient food you can get.

Just limited to those selections...

Steak
Ribs
Crawfish
Shrimp
Pulled Pork
Brisket
Crab legs
Lobster

Reactions: RopeDawg

DesotoCountyDawg

Nov 16, 2005
Most of the crawfish people that I know had a rough start to the season because of the drought and have delayed a lot of their shipments because they were delayed getting their water out there in the fields. That’s why you were seeing such high prices because there’s not a lot of Supply right now, but I’m not sure if it’s going to get any better or not.

Beretta.sixpack

Oct 29, 2009
they will come down...last year they were high as giraffe's *** to start the season as well......they have water down there, just had to pay for it this year.....the prices went down faster than monica lewinsky as the season went on, and at the end, farmer's were draining their fields bc of lack of demand.....I only boil my own....what is the live price?

the guys here locally at the end of the season were still charging $7.95 /lb cooked (crawfish only) .....i wouldn't pay that if i were a billionaire....and boiled crawfish is one of my top 3 in life....

Trojanbulldog19

Aug 25, 2014
Steak (any damn type)
Brisket
Ribs
Pulled Pork
Crab legs
Lobster
Shrimp
Crawfish

I think this largely depends on where you do this at. Also depends on of people know what they are doing with bbq. I do pulled pork a lot of times with my boils. I also do shrimp at the boils I do for crawfish but crawfish are always the most eaten of anything.

DawgsGoneWild

Sep 25, 2012
Yeah, nobody that i know has gotten any. Only 1 place in town selling them. Usually 20. It will be down but amazing some dumb 17 is willing to pay that much. And i absolutely love crawfish

PooPopsBaldHead

Dec 15, 2017
Dem taters are the highlight of the dish at a crawfish boil.... Telling you boys, potatoes are the undisputed champ.

• Haha
Reactions: Coast_Dawg

ETK99

Jul 30, 2019
Boudin is better than tators. Punch holes in a pack of boudin and throw in dat boil. Eggs, red weiners (reminder, wash them hands), sausage , hell, I might just boil all that and say screw crawfish. It really bout the crazy large amount of beer you drink anyway.

PooPopsBaldHead

Dec 15, 2017
Boudin is better than tators. Punch holes in a pack of boudin and throw in dat boil. Eggs, red weiners (reminder, wash them hands), sausage , hell, I might just boil all that and say screw crawfish. It really bout the crazy large amount of beer you drink anyway.
Boudin boil is where its at.

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022
Most overrated food on the planet.
I can get on board with this…..although I still do enjoy them.

Turkey is #2.

This is an odd take. I don’t think I’ve ever run in any circles where folks talk about going out to eat to the place that has the most bomb asś turkey, or where people talk about drinking beer and watching football on Labor Day while their famous smoked turkey is cooking on the Egg, etc. It gets its day in the sun for one day a year, then people just forget it until they make a sandwich out of their fridge. Food prestige wise, its damn near a vegetable.

Reactions: EmpireDown

hatfieldms

Feb 20, 2008
Dem taters are the highlight of the dish at a crawfish boil.... Telling you boys, potatoes are the undisputed champ.
While I do not like them we always throw brussell sprouts in the boil and they are always a huge hit

Last edited:

HotMop

May 8, 2006
I'll just keep getting mine from Chyynna. It's building a healthy immune system at the same time.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login