Crazy thing about Rogers..

dawgstudent

Apr 15, 2003
he could be here 3 more years. He might have 4.5 years in this system as a starter. His records would never be touched.

Felonious Junk

Oct 23, 2008
The next two years, assuming Rogers is here for both, we will get to see the Air Raid run at the mastery level. Every time Leach has had this set of circumstances the results have been jaw dropping both statistically and in the win column.

horshack.sixpack

Oct 30, 2012
Also, how much does it help that we've established ourselves as a school that puts defensive players in the league? Gotta figure that we won't have an issue attracting both defensive and offensive talent now. We've been DLU and LBU and DBU for a while now. Kind of crazy to think about really.

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
The next two years, assuming Rogers is here for both, we will get to see the Air Raid run at the mastery level. Every time Leach has had this set of circumstances the results have been jaw dropping both statistically and in the win column.

I'm skeptical of next year. We may have a young guy that is just not ready for RT yet that will be ready next year. But if we had a good replacement for Cross, he'd be playing RT right now. I'm assuming if we don't get a good tackle in the portal we are going to be hurting next year on the OL.

I think we'll see the 3-8 be successful against us again next year because you'll see teams getting pressure with just 3.

Drebin

Aug 22, 2012
I'm skeptical of next year. We may have a young guy that is just not ready for RT yet that will be ready next year. But if we had a good replacement for Cross, he'd be playing RT right now. I'm assuming if we don't get a good tackle in the portal we are going to be hurting next year on the OL.

I think we'll see the 3-8 be successful against us again next year because you'll see teams getting pressure with just 3.

We'll go get a guy or two out of the portal. "You're the guy that will be the difference in winning 10 vs. winning 6" is a helluva selling point.

Smoked Toag

Jul 15, 2021
We'll go get a guy or two out of the portal. "You're the guy that will be the difference in winning 10 vs. winning 6" is a helluva selling point.
I hope it's that easy. You don't see many solid OL transfers. And 2022 is an awful year for JUCOs (in state at least, and those guys usually take a year anyway).

Lashley is a graduate guy and he sucks hard, only reason he's serviceable (I'm being generous) is that he's like 28 years old due to the COVID free year.

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012

I just don't know what SEC quality LTs are going to be in the portal. Seems like you see fewer good OL prospects than anything. But maybe you just don't hear about the OL prospects because they don't have stats to compare.

Sep 9, 2012
I just don't know what SEC quality LTs are going to be in the portal. Seems like you see fewer good OL prospects than anything. But maybe you just don't hear about the OL prospects because they don't have stats to compare.

If we can’t find a quality OT in the portal (which will be tough considering those guys are at a premium), Nick Jones’s development quickly becomes the most important storyline this offseason. I think we can replace Lashley without much issue. Sharp has been very good at Center, and there have been rumblings that he MIGHT could get a medical hardship extra year if he wants it. Either way we have some options on the interior.

We are going to take a significant step back at LT, but if we can get someone that is at least competent I think we can at least be as good offensively next year… Because we are going to be very good everywhere else.

GloryDawg

Mar 3, 2005
I wonder how Leach is going to handle other QB's on the staff to keep them out of the portal? Next year is going to be very important in the QB signing class.

Aug 28, 2018
I'd much rather have QBs transfer because they are riding the pine due to an incumbent that has solidified a starting role than 5 guys semi happy because they are all "in the mix" to play at any given time.

Smoked Toag

Jul 15, 2021
I wonder how Leach is going to handle other QB's on the staff to keep them out of the portal? Next year is going to be very important in the QB signing class.
Good question, especially in regards to Sawyer Robertson. I don't see him sitting until 2024 (I know Rogers has 3 more years of eligibility but I just can't see him playing here beyond 2023, 4 years of starting in college football is enough for anybody). I guess injury is something to consider, though you don't want to truly think about it. You still have Daniel Greek and then Locke, who is coming in next year. Not sure what Kristofek will do, maybe he rides it out.

It's just so easy to jump to somewhere else to get to play. You don't have to be great to start, but you have to start to be great.

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
Good question, especially in regards to Sawyer Robertson. I don't see him sitting until 2024 (I know Rogers has 3 more years of eligibility but I just can't see him playing here beyond 2023, 4 years of starting in college football is enough for anybody). I guess injury is something to consider, though you don't want to truly think about it. You still have Daniel Greek and then Locke, who is coming in next year. Not sure what Kristofek will do, maybe he rides it out.

It's just so easy to jump to somewhere else to get to play. You don't have to be great to start, but you have to start to be great.

I think Rogers can likely be the exception. He will essentially be a RS Senior, so it's not like he's sticking around for a sixth year. And unless his arm strength improves, he probably won't be looking at a strong rookie contract in the NFL. If he stays healthy, he can probably set tons of all time records if he exhausts his eligibility, which will give him an extra hook if he wants to try his hand at being a TV analyst for college games. He won't really be any worse off starting any NFL career at 23 instead of 22, but he could get a lot of mileage out of all the records he could break.

ETA I: Just to give an idea of his progress:

SEC Passing leader: 43% of the way to catching Aaron Murray
SEC Passing TD Leader: 33% of the way to catching Aaron Murry
NCAA Passing Leader: 29.65% of the way to catching Case Keenum
NCAA Passing TD Leader: 25.8% of the way to catching Case Keenum

Not that this is relevant to him staying, but if he averages 350 yds passing his last three games, that will put him at 25th on the list of all time single season passing yards.

If he matches his current pace of 372yds per game, he'll end up at 21st on the all time single season passing yards record list.

Both of those last stats are ignoring anybody that might have more yards than him this year. Crazy to think he's putting those kind of numbers up when the offense was still struggling pretty good for the first part of the season.

ETA 2: In 2003, BJ Symons passed for 5833 yards while leading Texas Tech to a 7-5 (4-4) record plus a bowl win over Navy. Pretty unbelievable passing stats to just be .500 in conference, although the Big 12 was a good bit better in 2003 than it has been in a while.

Last edited:

Smoked Toag

Jul 15, 2021
I think Rogers can likely be the exception. He will essentially be a RS Senior, so it's not like he's sticking around for a sixth year. And unless his arm strength improves, he probably won't be looking at a strong rookie contract in the NFL. If he stays healthy, he can probably set tons of all time records if he exhausts his eligibility, which will give him an extra hook if he wants to try his hand at being a TV analyst for college games. He won't really be any worse off starting any NFL career at 23 instead of 22, but he could get a lot of mileage out of all the records he could break.
I'm guessing we (fans) will likely be ready for a break by that point too, unless we win the SEC or something.

ColoradoDawg

Sep 3, 2016
We will miss Cross huge next year. A good LT is a QBs best friend. Wish replacing a top 10 pick LT was as easy as hitting the transfer portal.

I mean we can pay players now, I got $5 to put towards keeping here for another year, can you guys front the other few mil?

Sep 12, 2013
Never thought I’d say this, but I’m not even worried about what Sawyer Robertson does at this point. What Will has done is incredible.

Go Budaw

Aug 22, 2012
There’s no chance of Rogers turning down a 5th year if he stays fully healthy through then. He’s an absolute lock to shatter Case Keenum’s all time college football passing yardage record, along with numerous others, if he doesn’t get hurt. He only needs to average 320 yards per game or something like that.

Last edited:

Dawgology

Sep 15, 2011
Not sure Sawyer stays but Locke will. He will RS next year and be a freshman Will’s Senior year. He would probably start as a Sophomore or Junior. That’s a perfect scenario.

Ralph Cramden

Jan 7, 2020
I wouldn't exactly poo poo the thought of him going pro. Why can't he ? He will put up Playstation numbers next year. He isn't a big guy but he certainly is bigger than some NFL QBs. Not every QB in the league has a cannon. Very few are as accurate..

oxfordrebel22

Oct 31, 2013

The entirety of recruiting the portal versus high school recruiting is going to be incredibly interesting to me. I feel like the Ole Miss staff is going to undersign high school kids trying to “fix” some positional and class gaps. Which sounds great, but you’d have to imagine that the kids they’re looking at in the portal have multiple schools looking at them, too. I don’t know what to make of it…

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login