Cross opting out a good thing?

PirateDawg

Jan 9, 2020
We get a good view of what to expect next year with him out at LT. I wish him the best and no hard feelings. However, I do feel he is letting his team mates down.

Hot Rock

Jan 2, 2010
We get a good view of what to expect next year with him out at LT. I wish him the best and no hard feelings. However, I do feel he is letting his team mates down.

It's not a good thing but you can benefit from bad circumstance. So, you may as well get what you can get out of it. If that means snaps for his possible replacement then get that done.

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012

That would be a silver lining if our 2022 LT was actually on the roster right now, which we better hope is not the case.

I don't have hard feelings for Cross, but I hate it because he is leaving Will exposed.

I also don't understand why people opt out of bowl games but not the second half of the season. I don't think Cross moved his draft position meaningfully in the second half of the season. If you think opting out of the bowl game makes sense, the only argument for continuing to play that I see is just that you don't want to be too far ahead of the curve, and you might get negative marks for dropping out mid season just because so few people do it, whereas lots of people opt out of bowl games so you can't really get hit too hard by draft evaluators on that.

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006
I don't have hard feelings for Cross, but I hate it because he is leaving Will exposed.

So why not shut down Will Rogers for the bowl game if we're that concerned about leaving him exposed?

Give the second team some reps.

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
So why not shut down Will Rogers for the bowl game if we're that concerned about leaving him exposed?

Give the second team some reps.

Aside from wanting to play to win?

I don't think treating the game as a scrimmage would help our future bowl prospects.

I also think that would be a terrible signal to send to any other potential draft picks about whether they should opt out or not.

Trojanbulldog19

Aug 25, 2014
“Play to win the game”

We’ve come a long way to hoping to make it to a bowl game and now a lot of our fans feel like this is just a scrimmage.

MSUDC11

Aug 23, 2012
Ask me again once I see how good his backup is at protecting Will's blindside. It could certainly end up being a good thing in hindsight if get through it without any major incidents, but I'll be kinda pissed if our LT spot is dysfunctional and it causes us to lose the game or causes Rogers to get hurt.

Maroonthirteen

Aug 22, 2012
It is good for Cross.

The game will forever go into the records books and won't be "Meaningless" in that regard.......
It doesn't help Leach's chances to win the game. Leach will forever be judged on how the team plays in the bowl game and the results of the game.
It is not good for MSU football's chances to win the game. Post season wins builds programs.
It doesn't help the odds of a win for the MSU fans that want to see a win.

It will be good for MSU football if the team happens to win and a new guy gets some experience.

kired

Aug 22, 2008
I also don't understand why people opt out of bowl games but not the second half of the season. I don't think Cross moved his draft position meaningfully in the second half of the season. If you think opting out of the bowl game makes sense, the only argument for continuing to play that I see is just that you don't want to be too far ahead of the curve, and you might get negative marks for dropping out mid season just because so few people do it, whereas lots of people opt out of bowl games so you can't really get hit too hard by draft evaluators on that.

One thing I don't think I've heard mentioned - the fall semester ended last week. A guy like Cross has no reason to stay in Starkville for 2-3 more weeks other than preparing for a bowl game. It's not just one game, it's bowl practices and workouts too.

Or he can take this time to begin preparing for the combine. That's 11-12 weeks away from today, or ~8 weeks after the bowl game. Honestly - if you ignore all the other stuff (pretend there is no bowl game, loyalty to team, etc.) and just want to be in peak physical condition at the end of February, I'd say it's best to take it easy for 2-3 weeks and fully recover from the college season. Then begin training specifically for the combine drills.

DoggieDaddy13

Dec 23, 2017
This^ if we win and Will can stay upright for most of the game, it will be good.... maybe even GREAT.

If we don't win and Will gets blindsided a few times, GONNA SUCK.

UncleChuck

Aug 6, 2021
I think that getting a 6-week head start on Neal, Ekwonu, Petit-Frere, etc.... in terms of recovering from the season and training for the combine makes sense. He's the third ranked OT in most places. Being the second off the board would be huge - nobody is going to catch Neal...

There is a substantial difference between the 16-20 and 9-12 slots. $3-12 million in signing bonus alone.

bully12

Sep 2, 2012

This is absolutely the entire point of this statement. I'm an older baby-boomer and I was taught old-school terms such as "Commitment", "Duty", "Honor", "Loyalty", "Team". Obviously, Mr. Cross did not come from a military background and has no allegiance to those terms. What I know is I damn sure wouldn't want to count on him to have my back in a foxhole during the next Vietnam, Iraq, Iran, Afghanistan, etc. Take the money and run Charles; be gone with you!!

Smoked Toag

Jul 15, 2021
[/B][/U]

This is absolutely the entire point of this statement. I'm an older baby-boomer and I was taught old-school terms such as "Commitment", "Duty", "Honor", "Loyalty", "Team". Obviously, Mr. Cross did not come from a military background and has no allegiance to those terms. What I know is I damn sure wouldn't want to count on him to have my back in a foxhole during the next Vietnam, Iraq, Iran, Afghanistan, etc. Take the money and run Charles; be gone with you!!
You all still fail to address the coaches, who started this whole thing. Coaches were getting gobs of (undeserved) money long before the players started bitching about being paid. I mean it's not even close. And this is not a case of young people being entitled, I mean they were getting straight 17'ED OVER as far as the scale of coach pay vs. what they get. And I was never a proponent of players being paid, I wanted coaches' salaries capped (or something to that effect).

Either way, you just can't justify what the coaches get, vs. what the players get, anymore. It's so far out of whack it's ridiculous. Until you address this, your opinion is really useless at worst, misinformed at best.

FISHDAWG

Dec 27, 2009
You all still fail to address the coaches, who started this whole thing. Coaches were getting gobs of (undeserved) money long before the players started bitching about being paid. I mean it's not even close. And this is not a case of young people being entitled, I mean they were getting straight 17'ED OVER as far as the scale of coach pay vs. what they get. And I was never a proponent of players being paid, I wanted coaches' salaries capped (or something to that effect).

Either way, you just can't justify what the coaches get, vs. what the players get, anymore. It's so far out of whack it's ridiculous. Until you address this, your opinion is really useless at worst, misinformed at best.

and most of these coaches didn't get money when they were in school playing either ... NIL wasn't around then - these coaches have already paid their dues to get where they are now. Now you want coaches salaries capped ... you sound like a communist

GloryDawg

Mar 3, 2005
I really don't believe it will matter against Tech. I just don't think they are any better than a G5 school. I think it is a great opportunity for a young guy to get experience. I am really more worried about the lay off and timing of the offense.

Last edited:

Smoked Toag

Jul 15, 2021
and most of these coaches didn't get money when they were in school playing either ... NIL wasn't around then - these coaches have already paid their dues to get where they are now. Now you want coaches salaries capped ... you sound like a communist
It's not like they are keeping up with inflation or some ****. Do you really think they deserve this much money? They aren't doing anything they didn't used to do.

PooPopsBaldHead

Dec 15, 2017
What I know is I damn sure wouldn't want to count on him to have my back in a foxhole during the next Vietnam, Iraq, Iran, Afghanistan, etc. Take the money and run Charles; be gone with you!!

When it comes to foxhole sharing, good hygiene is by far the most important factor...

That said, if one of my guys were 90% done with his deployment and had done his job as well as Cross has, I'd shoot him myself if he didn't leave early to make sure he could go sign a $20+ million contract. Show me a man that disagrees with that and I'll show you a man who has never seen combat.

Don't make combat and football analogies. It never works out.

thatsbaseball

May 29, 2007
These "Cross" threads (no pun) indicate to me that a lot of you really haven't gotten a good grasp of what's happened to big-time college football in the last several years. You can expect more and more college players conducting themselves like pros and dear old Alma Mater be damned. There's just too much money involved now and paraphrasing a famous movie line "boys we're not in Kansas anymore".

MarkDallas

Aug 27, 2014
Get an insurance policy for anyone with a draft grade and make it part of a NIL package. You are provided a safety net if you agree to participate.

Emma’s Dad

May 5, 2021
Using the school that gave you a platform until you don’t need it anymore. Not a fan of guys who do this. That said, I get that there is a legitimate selfish interest in doing so.

Should guys skip games where they are matched against better competition to keep their stats up?

It’s a team sport. Except for some it’s not.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login