Cspire Fiber/CSpire TV

msstatelp1

Aug 21, 2012
We are finally getting fiber Internet in my neighborhood. CSpire is building it. I currently have Xfinity cause it was the only choice. I've preordered the fiber but my question is on the TV service.

Is CSpire TV worth the money? On the surface it appears to cost as much as Xfinity.

Is YouTube TV a better option? Is there a better option than YouTube TV? I've tried to keep up with the cord cutting threads but have just gotten confused as to which is best.

I've got my home security system thru Xfinity at the moment. Is there a better option?

Reactions: dorndawg

greenbean.sixpack

Oct 6, 2012
We have fiber and tried the TV, but determined the pricing of Ceasefire TV wasn't competitive. Most streaming platforms have a free trail period, I suggest just trying them out.

If you parents have old school cable still, it may come with credentials for the ESPN app, HBO Max, etc. I'm not inferring this is legal or ethical, and I'd certainly never do it, so act accordingly.

Unless you live in a high crime area, do you really need home security? I have Arlo cameras, but no security monitoring service.

8dog

Feb 23, 2008
We are finally getting fiber Internet in my neighborhood. CSpire is building it. I currently have Xfinity cause it was the only choice. I've preordered the fiber but my question is on the TV service.

Is CSpire TV worth the money? On the surface it appears to cost as much as Xfinity.

Is YouTube TV a better option? Is there a better option than YouTube TV? I've tried to keep up with the cord cutting threads but have just gotten confused as to which is best.

I've got my home security system thru Xfinity at the moment. Is there a better option?
No reason not to use YTTV. Much cheaper. Great mobile experience.

Reactions: Beretta.sixpack

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
Right now, I'd probably go with the fiber/internet service only. In a few years they'll have their TV streaming worked out. But the others are better at this time (YTTV, Direct, Fubo, Hulu, etc.).

I always like to go local when possible, but all these local ex-cable companies just don't have it figured out yet and seems like endless problems that none of their techs can fix.

dogmatic001

Sep 30, 2022
I do CSpire fibre internet and Hulu for general TV streaming. YouTubeTV or something of that ilk would be a good option also. It's not about getting more channels, so much as it's about being able to turn it off/on at a moment's notice. All streaming TV services are month to month so, if you find no one at your house is watching them anymore, turn them off. Find a new show/network you want to try? Turn it on.

retire the banner

Dec 29, 2022
We had xfinity and switched to cspire fiber + YouTubeTV about 2 months ago. I recommend the switch

dorndawg

Sep 10, 2012
Another vote for YTTV. Think they still have the 7 day trial, check it out. And if you wind up not liking it, it takes 30 seconds to cancel. No phone calls, no contract

Yep - get a dog.

msstatelp1

Aug 21, 2012
Unless you live in a high crime area, do you really need home security? I have Arlo cameras, but no security monitoring service.
Main reason for the security system is that my job takes me out of town 2-3 nights a week and there's no one else there.

The Peeper

Feb 26, 2008
For security look at Wyze for indoor/outdoor cameras, doorbell w/ camera, smart plugs to control anything you plug in, remote activating/deactivating, floodlights w/ cameras, leak and frozen pipe detection, door/window alerts, temperature monitoring, smart thermostat, remote door lock opening, glass breakage and fire alarm alerts, etc. All of these items and more work from the same app on your phone. Their monitoring is only $8.33/month if you prepay a year, no contracts either. I use the cameras, smart plugs, and spotlights but haven't used the security. A co-worker has and really likes it. The cameras have really good clarity and color. I've got 6 of them around the outside of my house and use the app to look in at whats going on all the time. Use the smart plugs to turn on/off lights, mainly.

Last edited:
Reactions: msstatelp1

pmack3641

Aug 9, 2019

Eleven Bravo

Aug 31, 2018
Yeah. I used to work for CSpire. They concentrate their fiber on heavily-populated urban areas. Some people get really good speeds-others, not so much. They force people like me to resort to Starlink internet-and Starlink doesn’t discriminate against people in the rural areas. 17 CSpire-that’s just my opinion. I get faster speeds than CSpire by going with Starlink.

Drebin

Aug 22, 2012

I have cspire fiber and I'm very happy with it. Never goes down, never have issues, and we do a lot of streaming in the house.

I really think the streaming options are really six of one, half dozen of the other. Cspire TV is alright. Youtube TV is alright. DirecTV stream is alright. Just depends on personal taste really.

QuadrupleOption

Aug 21, 2012
I have C Spire internet and love it. I haven't had any issues in the 3+ years I've been a customer.

Beretta.sixpack

Oct 29, 2009
Yeah. I used to work for CSpire. They concentrate their fiber on heavily-populated urban areas. Some people get really good speeds-others, not so much. They force people like me to resort to Starlink internet-and Starlink doesn’t discriminate against people in the rural areas. 17 CSpire-that’s just my opinion. I get faster speeds than CSpire by going with Starlink.
My company reimburses for our internet and setup....I had no idea we could get Starlink approved....a guy i work with got it and says it's freaking awesome and super fast.....Im jealous....But I have mine through local NE Power .....it's really good too

thatsbaseball

May 29, 2007
We are "bundled " with Comcast right now but switching to CSpire internet. Comcast has been pretty dependable but when when we do lose service...we lose everything TV, house phone and internet.

Reactions: onewoof

greenbean.sixpack

Oct 6, 2012
I don't understand gigs and all that. I have ceasfire fiber in Flowood ($75ish/month) and get the speeds below. That was from and old mac laptop in another room and about 30 ft from the router. Plenty of speed for errythng we do. We stream all TV, plus have three kids doing whatever they do and two adults working form home.

The tech said apple products were the slowest when it came to testing speeds.

Download Speed
206.53 Mbps

Upload Speed
73.17 Mbps

Latency (ping)
24 ms

thatsbaseball

May 29, 2007
I don't understand gigs and all that. I have ceasfire fiber in Flowood ($75ish/month) and get the speeds below. That was from and old mac laptop in another room and about 30 ft from the router. Plenty of speed for errythng we do. We stream all TV, plus have three kids doing whatever they do and two adults working form home.

The tech said apple products were the slowest when it came to testing speeds.

Download Speed
206.53 Mbps

Upload Speed
73.17 Mbps

Latency (ping)
24 ms
Which test do you use. I've tried 3 or 4 and I have no idea which is the most accurate .

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login