CWS better than CF Playoffs

PirateDawg

Jan 9, 2020
Parity in college baseball makes the CWS and the playoffs leading up to it better. CF Playoffs are so predictable with the same teams that pay players the most to sign. It's sad that college football has failed to even the playing field.

Smoked Toag

Jul 15, 2021
It's going to be their undoing in the long term. The answer to the riddle is right there in front of them - the 12-team playoff. It satisfies everybody - their deceiving TV viewing numbers, and the fans who want parity and hope for their teams, AND it still heavily values the regular season.

Yet, they just look at the short term TV ratings for the playoffs and do nothing because "things are good". IDIOTS.

dawgnabit

Oct 13, 2016
Don’t forget to blame the Rose Bowl. They are also holding it back because they don’t want to lose their “prestige”

onewoof

Mar 4, 2008
Looks like baseball parity is mostly the SEC West with Florida and UTenn most likely in the mix as well in the coming years.

MSUDC11

Aug 23, 2012
The college playoffs freaking suck. The semifinals are almost always blowouts and the championship games usually aren’t that interesting either. I don’t know how every other sports league in the world can figure out a decent postseason format and with all the money in D1 college football they’ve never once had a decent system.

I get that in football it’s harder to replicate the parity that you see in the baseball and basketball tournaments. But a format where you can win your conference or win 10 or 11 games in the SEC and not be able to compete for a championship is awful.

pmack3641

Aug 9, 2019
CWS is much better competitively. Eight teams and in most years new teams make it. As prior poster states semifinal is usually non competitive and final is mostly Alabama. Eight teams in the CWS are equal no matter their ranking and anyone can get hit and win it.

bruiser.sixpack

Aug 13, 2009
I don’t like the 12 team because it means 2 teams will get an opening round bye. Guess who those 2 teams will likely be? It has to be 8 or 16 so everybody plays opening round. I want it to be proved that #1 is better than #8 or #16 on the field. And this way, you may still get the blowouts, but it could be # 5 or #13 beating #4.

Baseball and basketball are definitely matchup situations but football has historically who has the best 22 to 44 players. We have seen average pitchers get hot at tourney time, but rarely does an average QB get hot at the right time.

Seinfeld

Nov 30, 2006
True, although it’s not just the Rose Bowl. The college football postseason has been an insanely top heavy financial one for decades, and the challenge they continue to have is that the big wig execs that are basically the only ones making money from it don’t want that to change. With every step that this CFP takes, they’re having to constantly ensure that the big boys keep their funds or else it’s going to be voted down.

Then the other elephant in the room is of course the NCAA doing nothing about college free agency. They fought against NIL for years and I swear… it’s almost like their stance now is “17 it. Y’all asked for this and took us to court over this, so it’s all yours now. Enjoy”. It’s just wild to me that absolutely nothing has been done yet to put the slightest bit of rules and framework around all this NIL/Portal stuff

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login