CZA comments on next season’s offense

PapaDawg

Nov 19, 2014
Looking ahead to the season, Arnett said Mississippi State’s offense in the passing game will “heavily mirror” what it did for the past 3 years under Mike Leach. To call it a “drastic change,” Arnett said, would be “foolish.” Conceptually what we are going to do in the passing game will not be different from previous years, Arnett said, and added it would be “stupid” to change when you have had success like MSU did.

Rupert Jenkins

Nov 29, 2017
No no no.....remember everybody saying how badly the offense sucked. We must run the ball most downs and occasionally pass to a tight end. Maybe try a 60 yard pass 3 times a game. That #35 defense carried the season

Reactions: FlotownDawg

Ranchdawg

Dec 13, 2012
No no no.....remember everybody saying how badly the offense sucked. We must run the ball most downs and occasionally pass to a tight end. Maybe try a 60 yard pass 3 times a game. That #35 defense carried the season
Yes! WE MUST RUN THE BALL! RUN, RUN, run up the gut at least 2 time each set of downs and maybe 3 if we gain any yards at all. Running outside the tackles occasionally. We are a "smashmouth football school"! Only throw the ball when it is 3rd and 20 and the ball is inside the defenses 40 yard line. That way once intercepted it is like a punt! ****

The Cooterpoot

Sep 29, 2022
He's referring to conceptual things. We're already bring in TEs. We're going to be more balanced than the past. Plus, our OC isn't a Leach Air Raid guy.

Reactions: Pilgrimdawg

mo7888

Oct 18, 2017
Looking ahead to the season, Arnett said Mississippi State’s offense in the passing game will “heavily mirror” what it did for the past 3 years under Mike Leach. To call it a “drastic change,” Arnett said, would be “foolish.” Conceptually what we are going to do in the passing game will not be different from previous years, Arnett said, and added it would be “stupid” to change when you have had success like MSU did.
Most reassuring quote I've heard to date...

Cantdoitsal

Sep 26, 2022
So hasn't it been mentioned one of the changes will be speeding up the tempo? Does that mean less audibles by the QB? Will we keep the OL spread out?

Ranchdawg

Dec 13, 2012
So hasn't it been mentioned one of the changes will be speeding up the tempo? Does that mean less audibles by the QB? Will we keep the OL spread out?
From what I have gathered in my research of our OC the offense will look similar to what Lane Kiffin runs when they run the hurry up offense. Barbay tries to find the weakness of the defense and exploit it. He also allows the QB to audible based on the bodies in the box on defense similar to what Leach did. I think that is why CZA is saying we won't see a lot of difference in our offense.

Reactions: Cantdoitsal

TXDawg.sixpack

Apr 10, 2009
I believe Barbay said in one interview that he basically uses faster tempo when the situation calls for it (defense tired, following an explosive play, etc). He specifically said that we won't always be up-tempo and that he likes to call the game from the sideline so he can get a better feel for when to use tempo.

GloryDawg

Mar 3, 2005
Will Rogers after getting the news.
Tom And Jerry Tom The Cat GIF - Tom And Jerry Tom The Cat Phew GIFs

Reactions: Cantdoitsal

Darryl Steight

Sep 30, 2022
The most refreshing thing I heard him say in the interview was that he was going to evaluate the players we have, find the best 11, and then tailor the system around those players. If we trust stud RBs more than the QB, run. If WRs are the playmakers, pass more. That's what we need. Unlike at least 3 former coaches we've had who would rather run "their offense" than win games.

Reactions: wrapit
Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login