CZA on the hot seat?

SchrodingersDawg

Sep 15, 2020
I'll take "Schit that ain't gonna happen" for $400, Alex. 4 - 8. Damn.

Respect I Tell Ya GIF by Rodney Dangerfield

• Haha
Reactions: jethreauxdawg

onewoof

Mar 4, 2008
If we are not in the CFP then the hamma shall fall hard and fast

HumpDawgy

Apr 6, 2010
If Will starts throwing balls into the dirt past the catcher then I might change my mind. *****

Yeti

Feb 20, 2018
Legit question. We have the personal to run the air raid. We’ve practiced it 3 years. Why not go get an air raid guy and keep the train moving? I think we have good players but I can’t see this offense working with pass block first trained lineman and an air raid slow of foot QB. Hope I’m wrong

AstroDog

Oct 5, 2022
Won’t go 4-8, but we ain’t going 9-3 either.
This ^^ I have us 7-5 and if the ball bounces just right in one of two games I have in mind, then maybe 8-4.

Last edited:

NWADawg

May 4, 2016
This ^^ I have us 7-5 and if the ball bounces just right on one of two games I have in mind, then maybe 8-4.
Maybe I'm just an optimist but I at least see possibility for better. I loved Leach and the air raid was fun to watch at times but it really wasn't any better against the top defenses than any other offense we've run. It dominated the lesser talent teams and struggled against the Bama's of the world. I think Barbay's offense is less unique but more creative than the air raid and gives us more abiltiy to adjust to defensive personnel. Defense will be stout again. Get a kicker and we've got a chance.

PooPopsBaldHead

Dec 15, 2017
I'm seriously considering deleting my SPS account now. I'm technically part of the problem, but son of a bìtch if I am not tired of hearing absolutely stupid shìt like this from dorks that should be neither seen nor heard by we functioning members of society.

17ing dorks. I hope their balls get eaten off by a vicious swarm of piranha chiggers that are attracted to stupid. Don't need these two dìpshits procreating.

paindonthurt

Jun 27, 2009
Maybe I'm just an optimist but I at least see possibility for better. I loved Leach and the air raid was fun to watch at times but it really wasn't any better against the top defenses than any other offense we've run. It dominated the lesser talent teams and struggled against the Bama's of the world. I think Barbay's offense is less unique but more creative than the air raid and gives us more abiltiy to adjust to defensive personnel. Defense will be stout again. Get a kicker and we've got a chance.
I could see 9-3 but I’m not expecting it

likely 7-5 with a decent shot at 8-4

could go 6-6 which would be a disappointment but wouldn’t get him fired by any means

AstroDog

Oct 5, 2022

We return 4 starters on defense. The DL and LB I am not too worried about. The secondary does concern me. I hope we can get the right guys in place to help us there.

The Peeper

Feb 26, 2008
4-8 wouldn't get him fired, however, it would firmly place him on that hot seat. The melt down on here would be epic too

Reactions: patdog

NTDawg

Mar 2, 2012
I'm seriously considering deleting my SPS account now. I'm technically part of the problem, but son of a bìtch if I am not tired of hearing absolutely stupid shìt like this from dorks that should be neither seen nor heard by we functioning members of society.

17ing dorks. I hope their balls get eaten off by a vicious swarm of piranha chiggers that are attracted to stupid. Don't need these two dìpshits procreating.
"I hope their balls get eaten off by a vicious swarm of piranha chiggers" Damn Poopops bringing the heat

Last edited:

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
Older I've gotten, I've totally checked out on the talking heads media. Especially since it's mostly on Twitter on the phone which I hate to stare at for hours on end.

FlotownDawg

Aug 30, 2012
4-8 wouldn't get him fired, however, it would firmly place him on that hot seat. The melt down on here would be epic too
I bet some people on here would complain less about a 4-8 record while running a “traditional” offense than a 7-5 record while running the Air Raid.

patdog

May 28, 2007
Older I've gotten, I've totally checked out on the talking heads media. Especially since it's mostly on Twitter on the phone which I hate to stare at for hours on end.
Listening to any of those guys is a complete waste of time. I realized a long time ago most of those guys don't know any more than the average poster on this board. There's a very few I'll pay attention to, but for the most part, they're all idiots.

Reactions: msstatelp1

WilCoDawg

Sep 6, 2012
Please don’t click on the video, people. Just take everyone’s reactions to it as “it’s dumb AF” and let that be enough.

Reactions: patdog

mcdawg22

Sep 18, 2004
Legit question. We have the personal to run the air raid. We’ve practiced it 3 years. Why not go get an air raid guy and keep the train moving? I think we have good players but I can’t see this offense working with pass block first trained lineman and an air raid slow of foot QB. Hope I’m wrong
I think part of the issue is there aren’t many Power 5 quality coaches that run Leach’s version of the air raid anymore. Dykes, Kingsbury, Riley, Holgerson all incorporate the run more. TCU had more rushes than passes last year and their QB ran for 400+ yards.
Besides that maybe Arnett has a different offensive view. I understand you want to maximize with what you have, but if he believes the way for us to best succeed down the road is to incorporate a different offense, you have to make the transition even it it comes with growing pains. It’s crazy to think that we have done it 4 times with our last 4 coaches. Mullen inherited a throwing QB and we had some growing pains offensively but it worked out in the long run. JoMo not so much and Leach was building and had the benefit of a transfer, at least for one great day in September.
I think I’m the long run it will work out better for us on the OL, because MS offenses are still pretty run heavy and we can go after more of those Gabe Jackson types.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
Agree with your point about running the Air Raid, and it made me sort of question Arnett at first. But I'll give him the benefit of the doubt on that.

As far as pass block trained linemen, that's not true. Pass blocking is the hardest thing to teach/train/execute. Any offense will be easier on the linemen coming from the Air Raid. That's the good news. Think of the transition from Croom to Mullen, the offense looked instantly better. And add to that, Leach was a good coach, and Croom wasn't.

Now, one caveat to this is if we come out trying to run like an option or Rich-Rod type offense, which doesn't sound like the case to me.

I think part of the issue is there aren’t many Power 5 quality coaches that run Leach’s version of the air raid anymore. Dykes, Kingsbury, Riley, Holgerson all incorporate the run more. TCU had more rushes than passes last year and their QB ran for 400+ yards.
Besides that maybe Arnett has a different offensive view. I understand you want to maximize with what you have, but if he believes the way for us to best succeed down the road is to incorporate a different offense, you have to make the transition even it it comes with growing pains. It’s crazy to think that we have done it 4 times with our last 4 coaches. Mullen inherited a throwing QB and we had some growing pains offensively but it worked out in the long run. JoMo not so much and Leach was building and had the benefit of a transfer, at least for one great day in September.
I think I’m the long run it will work out better for us on the OL, because MS offenses are still pretty run heavy and we can go after more of those Gabe Jackson types.
We had already endured the growing pains over the past 5 years, ever since even JoMo started installing a passing offense. Why do away with that now? If we come out and don't utilize Rogers and the wide receivers, I'll seriously doubt Arnett's intellect. I'm really hoping that Barbay understands that we have to throw the ball.

mcdawg22

Sep 18, 2004
Agree with your point about running the Air Raid, and it made me sort of question Arnett at first. But I'll give him the benefit of the doubt on that.

As far as pass block trained linemen, that's not true. Pass blocking is the hardest thing to teach/train/execute. Any offense will be easier on the linemen coming from the Air Raid. That's the good news. Think of the transition from Croom to Mullen, the offense looked instantly better. And add to that, Leach was a good coach, and Croom wasn't.

Now, one caveat to this is if we come out trying to run like an option or Rich-Rod type offense, which doesn't sound like the case to me.

We had already endured the growing pains over the past 5 years, ever since even JoMo started installing a passing offense. Why do away with that now? If we come out and don't utilize Rogers and the wide receivers, I'll seriously doubt Arnett's intellect. I'm really hoping that Barbay understands that we have to throw the ball.
I am not saying we abandon the pass. I am saying I don’t think we could go on running Leach’s version of the Air Raid without him.
Looking at our personnel it makes sense for us to pass more than run. We have a lot of skill at the receiver position and a highly accurate passer. If Rogers is an effective passer in this offense I think our sweet spot is dropping @ 150 passes and adding 100 rushes.
Last year we were at 634 pass and 295 rushes. We would go to 484 passes and 395 rushes. Still pretty pass heavy. We would have been 17th in the country with 484 attempts in 2022. For comparison App State was 474 rush and 359 pass.
There is actually a natural progression for @ 80 passes to runs. Marks and DJ caught 96 passes last year, most of which were the dump offs that Leach like to call his running plays. Assuming they were targeted 110 times and Marks is still going to get 30 targets this year, That’s 80 plays that will probably be runs this year. You take those plus a number of 3rd and shorts where we passed last year and now my run and you get close to that 100 additional rushes.
Hopefully Rogers is as effective as App State’s QB was because he averaged 8.3 yards per attempt. At 8.0 yards per 484 attempts that equals 3800+ yards. If we throw for that and rush for 1500. We will be very good on offense this year. Lots of ifs, ands, and buts though.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login