Dabo speaks Truth

winloseortie

Joined Feb 21, 2007
Feb 2, 2022
Dabo is so FOS

Swinney said Clemson won't actively use the transfer portal unless there is a gap the Tigers need to fill on their roster. For example, he said the Tigers would look to add an offensive lineman in May.

I WON’T USE THE PORTAL....unless of course I need to

18IsTheMan

Jan 19, 2022
Dabo is so FOS

Swinney said Clemson won't actively use the transfer portal unless there is a gap the Tigers need to fill on their roster. For example, he said the Tigers would look to add an offensive lineman in May.

I WON’T USE THE PORTAL....unless of course I need to
Well, sure. His point is that he’s not going to look to build a team with the portal but will use it where there are needs his current roster can’t meet. It’s a big difference between the 2.

18IsTheMan

Jan 19, 2022

gamecock stock

Jan 21, 2022
Have to wonder if the recent changes have taken away advantages that Dabo enjoyed in recruiting. I don't know that but, speculate.

Reactions: USCALUMNI

funktavious

Joined Mar 20, 2002
Jan 31, 2022
Well, sure. His point is that he’s not going to look to build a team with the portal but will use it where there are needs his current roster can’t meet. It’s a big difference between the 2.
That's easy for him to say when his classes have been consistently ranked in the top-10. The portal gives opportunity to teams that haven't reached that level of high school recruiting. It looks to be helping us quite well.

winloseortie

Joined Feb 21, 2007
Feb 2, 2022
Most of what Swinney said was on point. But there a disconnect when he proclaims that college football is driven by educational interests for the athletes.

Whether you take 1 player or 15 you are using the portal to build your team.

“Honey, I only call hookers when you’re not in town, it’s not like I’m cheating on.”

atl-cock

Jan 18, 2022
I've posted on FGF in several threads that the mid-majors ought to have their own division. Maybe Dabo read my stuff and got it from me! 😁

Last edited:

KingWard

Feb 15, 2022
His statements on a separate division for the "big" schools and doing more to incentivize the educational side resonate with me. For the purposes of this discussion, I'm not delving into his motivations to say these things; I just like the ideas in general. We're in danger of completely decoupling major intercollegiate athletics from the core purposes for which colleges exist. I think many of the colleges themselves have lost their way.

Prestonite

Feb 1, 2022
His statements on a separate division for the "big" schools and doing more to incentivize the educational side resonate with me. For the purposes of this discussion, I'm not delving into his motivations to say these things; I just like the ideas in general. We're in danger of completely decoupling major intercollegiate athletics from the core purposes for which colleges exist. I think many of the colleges themselves have lost their way.
What happened to "play this sport at our school and we will pay for you education". That was the extent of it. In exchange for free room and board and a degree you must attend all functions related to your sport and go to class and pass your courses. Deal complete and a pretty hefty reward dollar wise for the STUDENT/athlete! There was no profit sharing part of the deal.

IOPGCock

Jan 30, 2022
Reactions: Harvard Gamecock

Guy in the Back

Jan 22, 2022
We all knew it was coming to this, but when parents pimp their kids through the national media we’ve lost the original intent of inter scholastic sports.

HillsToSea

Joined Apr 12, 2020
Jan 25, 2022
That's easy for him to say when his classes have been consistently ranked in the top-10. The portal gives opportunity to teams that haven't reached that level of high school recruiting. It looks to be helping us quite well.
I agree with you. But it is just starting and I can’t help but think when the dust starts settling we’re going to see many of the usual suspects at the top

DeBoer31

Joined Jun 19, 2015
Jan 28, 2022
I don't despise many coaches....but I seriously don't like Swinney. That said - he's right on the money with this. I also understand he's one of a few in a select, comfy position that affords him the ability to speak his mind to the national media and it not hurt him at his current job...whereas some others might wish to and not do b/c of ramifications and how it would be used against them by other teams/coaches and maybe their own administration. I wish more coaches had the balls to speak out against NIL and all the BS that's going on.
Every idiot who supports this NIL nonsense would become a stuttering fool if tomorrow the NCAA and Universities just said "ok - no more scholarships. Get here on your own, find yourself somewhere to live, how to eat, transportation, set up your classes, know where to be, etc. You're a bidness man now. You can rake in all the money someone will pay you....if you can get it. Oh by the way....we are going to be very strict on grades now. If you need a tutor...find one. Figure it out big boy. If your NIL guy doesn't pay up like he was supposed to....see if you can hire a lawyer. Life is tough. Bad things happen. People screw you over. You're being viewed as basically the equivalent of a 36 year old millionaire CEO of a smaller but major company with life experience and wisdom so you can figure this out."

Reactions: Prestonite

Prestonite

Feb 1, 2022
I don't despise many coaches....but I seriously don't like Swinney. That said - he's right on the money with this. I also understand he's one of a few in a select, comfy position that affords him the ability to speak his mind to the national media and it not hurt him at his current job...whereas some others might wish to and not do b/c of ramifications and how it would be used against them by other teams/coaches and maybe their own administration. I wish more coaches had the balls to speak out against NIL and all the BS that's going on.
Every idiot who supports this NIL nonsense would become a stuttering fool if tomorrow the NCAA and Universities just said "ok - no more scholarships. Get here on your own, find yourself somewhere to live, how to eat, transportation, set up your classes, know where to be, etc. You're a bidness man now. You can rake in all the money someone will pay you....if you can get it. Oh by the way....we are going to be very strict on grades now. If you need a tutor...find one. Figure it out big boy. If your NIL guy doesn't pay up like he was supposed to....see if you can hire a lawyer. Life is tough. Bad things happen. People screw you over. You're being viewed as basically the equivalent of a 36 year old millionaire CEO of a smaller but major company with life experience and wisdom so you can figure this out."
I like your thinking. Just drop the scholarship subsidy and put them on their own to run it like a business if that is the route they want to go. They pay their own way for everything.

TheRoo

Joined Nov 3, 2021
Feb 6, 2022
Both can be true. It is a mess and it does impact his competitive advantage.

atl-cock

Jan 18, 2022
Brutal. Skip it all and turn pro out of high school. Hello XFL, USFL, etc.

Jan 18, 2022

:rolleyes:

Latest posts

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login