Dak Father's Day crawfish boil episode just dropped on Meat Church

biodawg

Mar 3, 2008

Matt does a pretty good job at whatever he cooks. I’ve never done the “two pot” method, but I’ve read plenty about it. Looks good to me. We usually always throw a head of cauliflower, cabbage, or both in our boil right at the end. They soak up great flavor. Boiled a couple of sacks at my uncles house in Baton Rouge last weekend. IMG_0892.jpeg

Mts68

Aug 22, 2012
Two pot for crawfish seems pointless. I’ve done it with shrimp, but they’re way less forgiving. The stale cracker guy’s shrimp method works perfect so i dont Do it at all anymore. To each their own though

Dawgg

Sep 9, 2012
I actually didn’t realize Meat Church was a big deal outside of this area. I live in Waxahachie and have been in their store downtown a few times.

Reactions: HRMSU

HRMSU

Apr 26, 2022
I actually didn’t realize Meat Church was a big deal outside of this area. I live in Waxahachie and have been in their store downtown a few times.
Pittman is connected at least regionally. Hangs with all the TX Country singers, college and pro sports organizations and of course the legendary BBQ joint owners. He's just a cool dude.

Played/coached a few travel ball tourneys in Waxahachie. Seems like a nice place.

HRMSU

Apr 26, 2022
Two pot for crawfish seems pointless. I’ve done it with shrimp, but they’re way less forgiving. The stale cracker guy’s shrimp method works perfect so i dont Do it at all anymore. To each their own though
Haven't tried it and it's just caught on the last few years. Supposed to allow you to soak them longer at a lower temperature (2nd pot) so you don't have to dump ice and dilute your seasoning. They peel better and have better flavor. I don't get many complaints when I cook and I soak in the first pot for 30 minutes without any cool down method but I'm always open to something that may be better.

aTotal360

Nov 12, 2009
You can still delete this.
Because everyone knows it, but is too cool to admit it. Put shrimp, crawdads, crab, and sausage on the table. Crawdads will be the last thing left. A good crawfish boil is fun, but the crawfish themselves are the most forgettable part of it.

• Angry
Reactions: Wesson Bulldog

FormerBully

Sep 2, 2022
I have a pretty bad shellfish allergy. If I am ever given 6 months to live I will go out eating whatever shellfish I can.

The Peeper

Feb 26, 2008
Are people saying "crayfish" now?
douwe bob yankees GIF by Amsterdenim

greenbean.sixpack

Oct 6, 2012
Because everyone knows it, but is too cool to admit it. Put shrimp, crawdads, crab, and sausage on the table. Crawdads will be the last thing left. A good crawfish boil is fun, but the crawfish themselves are the most forgettable part of it.
concur, i love the party atmosphere of a boil, but eat more sausage, corn and 'taters than mudbugs.

Podgy

Oct 1, 2022
Boiled crawfish are great. I'm not a fan of anything other than corn, potatoes, mushrooms and sausage with crawfish in the pot. Add frozen corn during the soak and some liquid crab boil, stir and you'll be fine. Boils are a great afternoon social event.

Podgy

Oct 1, 2022
What you really need to do is sous vide the crawfish in small batches at a temp of 145 degrees for exactly 1 hour and 8 minutes. Not longer and not less. 108 minutes at 145 Degrees. You'll likely need around 15 sous vide stations but it's worth it. Trust me.

Wait. That sounds retarded. One pot is fine. People have their own way to boil and their own seasoning preferences which is fine. My neighbor uses mustard and it's good and doesn't taste mustardy. Can't ever remember leaving a crawfish boil where someone who knew what they were doing used one pot and thought "well that was a totally wasted afternoon with friends and family." I'm sure the two pot thing is fine. There's one more pot to clean and store so I'm not likely to ever use it.

• Haha
Reactions: Yeti and ckDOG

HRMSU

Apr 26, 2022
What you really need to do is sous vide the crawfish in small batches at a temp of 145 degrees for exactly 1 hour and 8 minutes. Not longer and not less. 108 minutes at 145 Degrees. You'll likely need around 15 sous vide stations but it's worth it. Trust me.

Wait. That sounds retarded. One pot is fine. People have their own way to boil and their own seasoning preferences which is fine. My neighbor uses mustard and it's good and doesn't taste mustardy. Can't ever remember leaving a crawfish boil where someone who knew what they were doing used one pot and thought "well that was a totally wasted afternoon with friends and family." I'm sure the two pot thing is fine. There's one more pot to clean and store so I'm not likely to ever use it.
Over the years I've found it's a lot like chili everyone does it different and it's usually good no matter what.

IBleedMaroonDawg

Nov 12, 2007
Haven't tried it and it's just caught on the last few years. Supposed to allow you to soak them longer at a lower temperature (2nd pot) so you don't have to dump ice and dilute your seasoning. They peel better and have better flavor. I don't get many complaints when I cook and I soak in the first pot for 30 minutes without any cool down method but I'm always open to something that may be better.
I didn't think there was any other way to cook them other than letting them soak for a while. I haven't seen the two-pot method, but every good cook I've seen has found some way to soak them before eating them. It does help them peel easier.

ronpolk

May 6, 2009
Matt does a pretty good job at whatever he cooks. I’ve never done the “two pot” method, but I’ve read plenty about it. Looks good to me. We usually always throw a head of cauliflower, cabbage, or both in our boil right at the end. They soak up great flavor. Boiled a couple of sacks at my uncles house in Baton Rouge last weekend. View attachment 589998
I’ve not personally done the 2 pot method but I went to a friends house a few weekends ago that did 2 pots. I’m gonna give it a try next year. I could see the 2 pot method being helpful if you’re doing more than 1 sack

Reactions: biodawg and HRMSU

skipperDawg

Dec 23, 2023
I didn't think there was any other way to cook them other than letting them soak for a while. I haven't seen the two-pot method, but every good cook I've seen has found some way to soak them before eating them. It does help them peel easier.

Cajun buddy taught me 40 years ago to break off tail and force “tail meat” into your mouth with your thumb

Dawgg

Sep 9, 2012
Cajun buddy taught me 40 years ago to break off tail and force “tail meat” into your mouth with your thumb
Same. At Southern Miss, everybody had a crawfish method. I found the best method was:
1. Break in half.
2. Shake off the guts a little.
3. Pinch the end of the tail just in front of the back fin so the tail meat becomes detached and dislodged.
4. Bite the front part of the tail meat and pull.
5. Eat the tail meat.
6. Suck the head.
7. Toss the shell.
8. Repeat.

biodawg

Mar 3, 2008
Supposed to allow you to soak them longer at a lower temperature (2nd pot) so you don't have to dump ice and dilute your seasoning.
I’ll usually take about 4-6 20oz Gatorade bottles, fill them with water, and freeze them. When I shut my fire off, I toss them in the pot and push them under. May or may not do a dang thing to actually help, but it makes me feel better. Used to dump ice, but I don’t do that anymore for the reason you stated.

PBRME

Feb 12, 2004
Not if I had anything to do with it.

HRMSU

Apr 26, 2022
I’ll usually take about 4-6 20oz Gatorade bottles, fill them with water, and freeze them. When I shut my fire off, I toss them in the pot and push them under. May or may not do a dang thing to actually help, but it makes me feel better. Used to dump ice, but I don’t do that anymore for the reason you stated.
Sounds like my beach and lake cooler hack. Requires less ice and doubles for hydration when it melts and you need a "little" water. Seriously, good idea and I may try that too. Thanks!

The Peeper

Feb 26, 2008
Sounds like my beach and lake cooler hack. Requires less ice and doubles for hydration when it melts and you need a "little" water. Seriously, good idea and I may try that too. Thanks!
I use 2 liter ones in the coolers (larger coolers) for drinks. It also helps to keep them in the outside beer fridge. Fill as many as you have room for and the cold water helps keep the fridge from having to work as hard. I would just keep it full of cold beer instead of water but that gets expensive.

99dawg

Jul 9, 2011
We have a couple plastic ice cream tubs that we dip out some of the boil water in and freeze them. The next time we boil, we use those to cool for a soak. It doesn't dilute this way, since the ice blocks are already seasoned. You can then fill those back up to freeze again after it cools down and it will be good for the next one.

Reactions: HRMSU and biodawg

Pilgrimdawg

Aug 30, 2018
Are people saying "crayfish" now?
Everyone is concerned about the possibility of the crayfish being offended by the term crawfish. If I was a crawfish and about to be dumped into a pot of boiling water my greatest concern would be whether my feelings were being hurt by an offensive term.*********🙄

Reactions: jethreauxdawg

ZombieKissinger

May 29, 2013
Same. At Southern Miss, everybody had a crawfish method. I found the best method was:
1. Break in half.
2. Shake off the guts a little.
3. Pinch the end of the tail just in front of the back fin so the tail meat becomes detached and dislodged.
4. Bite the front part of the tail meat and pull.
5. Eat the tail meat.
6. Suck the head.
7. Toss the shell.
8. Repeat.
I literally didn’t know there was another way to treat the tail than this until now, but what you described is what I’ve always done. I get scared of sucking the head because I’m weak

Reactions: Dawgg

Tall Dawg

Apr 11, 2016
Enough about “cray” fish. 😂!
Are our go to guys going to give us dads a “top 10” of hotties today here on Father’s Day? They still have a few hours left to make it happen. Y’all can thank me later😎

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login