Dak says recruiting stars don't mean sh¡t

Felonious Junk

Oct 23, 2008
Love Dak but you simply can’t argue that stars don’t matter as a collective assessment of the quality of a recruiting class overall. Can an individual player prove that he was rated improperly? Of course.

But all you have to do is look at the 4 year average class ranking of every national championship team since they have been ranking recruiting classes and you’ll see it does matter a lot.

Called3rdstrikedawg

May 7, 2016
Well of course. If you expect to be one of the 4-6 programs who have a glimmer of hope to win a a National Championship. And if making post season play 13 straight seasons doesn’t mean anything to you. Like a program I know that has averaged 32 recruiting ranking during that 13 season span. Oh, and also the fact that on average, there are only 30-32 5 star HS players each year, usually divided among those 6 top programs. The bottom 1/4 of the 4 stars have a score of 90-92 and the Top 1/4 of the 3 stars have a score of 87-89.9. Not much of a spread from low 4’s to high 3’s based on the scoring system.

Reactions: The Fatboy

karlchilders.sixpack

Jun 5, 2008
Stars often but not always indicate that a KID has capabilities,... does not translate to having his mind screwed together , right.

I'm calling on Jimbo's mental wave lengths.

Last edited:

DesotoCountyDawg

Nov 16, 2005
Love Dak but you simply can’t argue that stars don’t matter as a collective assessment of the quality of a recruiting class overall. Can an individual player prove that he was rated improperly? Of course.

But all you have to do is look at the 4 year average class ranking of every national championship team since they have been ranking recruiting classes and you’ll see it does matter a lot.
I think he was talking more about the work you put in makes you great.

Cantdoitsal

Sep 26, 2022
The best coaches of the blue bloods prolly don't give a schit 'bout stars either, it just works out that way based on their own personal evaluations and reports they get from their assistants.

greenbean.sixpack

Oct 6, 2012

I bet you're a lot of fun. You sound like my wife who takes everything literally. I call her the "righter of wrongs."

Of course, we all know it matters, Dak means on an individual basis. You can be a 3-star and become an all-pro.

IBleedMaroonDawg

Nov 12, 2007
table talking GIF by South Park

GloryDawg

Mar 3, 2005
Some coaches can take three and four stars and turn them into four and five stars. Also take five stars and make then 1st round picks. "Saban". Then there are coaches who can take four and five stars and turn them into three stars. "Jimbo"
Then there are coaches who can take three stars and turn them into 4 stars. 'Whole bunch of them. "

Dawgg

Sep 9, 2012

Did you actually listen to what he said?

It had zero to do with recruiting classes and everything to do with the effort and work that each individual player puts in to make themselves better.

So in that case, he’s 100% right that stars don’t mean sнit if you don’t put in the extra work to put yourself in a position to excel. What you’re talking about is completely unrelated to what he said.

TheStateUofMS

Dec 26, 2009

I dunno why this myth keeps coming up.

If stars didn't matter UGA and Alabama wouldn't sign so many 5 and high 4 stars and then win the natty every year.

There are wayyyyy wayyyy wayyyy more 3 and 2 star players and unraked players combined than all the 5 and 4 stars combined, so there will be more 3 star players who end up making the NFL than 5 star players, but the % of 5 star players that make the NFL over 3 star players is wayyyyy higher, bc the rankings do matter generally speaking but of course there are misses on evaluations.

TheStateUofMS

Dec 26, 2009
Some coaches can take three and four stars and turn them into four and five stars. Also take five stars and make then 1st round picks. "Saban". Then there are coaches who can take four and five stars and turn them into three stars. "Jimbo"
Then there are coaches who can take three stars and turn them into 4 stars. 'Whole bunch of them. "
I see your point, but there's no coaches that are taking predominately 3 star players and getting them in the national championship.

ababyatemydingo

Nov 27, 2008
I see your point, but there's no coaches that are taking predominately 3 star players and getting them in the national championship.
TCU is in the playoff this year. Their overall recruiting rankings for the last five years are as follows:

2022 - 28th - 14 signees - four 4 stars. no 5 stars
2021 - 44th - 15 signees - three 4 stars. no 5 stars
2020 - 23rd - 20 signees - six 4 stars. one 5 star
2019 - 32nd - 27 signees - four 4 stars. no 5 stars
2018 - 25th - 23 signees - four 4 stars. no 5 stars

Their classes have been pretty close to the same as ours.

Reactions: onewoof

aTotal360

Nov 12, 2009
Ok "stars don't matter" people...

Would you rather have a class of 3 star players or a class of 5 star players?

Answer the question not knowing what the future holds for any player. Which class would you rather have?

GloryDawg

Mar 3, 2005
I agree. They can get to play off every once in a while, but yes you need top recruits to win it all.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
I bet you're a lot of fun. You sound like my wife who takes everything literally. I call her the "righter of wrongs."

Of course, we all know it matters, Dak means on an individual basis. You can be a 3-star and become an all-pro.
This is 6pack bruh, do you expect people to actually read and comprehend??? Hot takes with no base at all is what we live for here

The Peeper

Feb 26, 2008

You never see anyone w/ any significance sign a class of kids w/ no *'s do you?

TheStateUofMS

Dec 26, 2009
TCU is in the playoff this year. Their overall recruiting rankings for the last five years are as follows:

TCU got in and lost their conf champ game. How often has the Big 12 done that? Never. This year is an exception to the rule, but it won't change the performance on the field.

TCU is going to get waxed in the CFP.

LordMcBuckethead

Sep 30, 2022

We would have been in the playoffs too, if we didn’t play in the SEC West and play Georgia almost every year for the last 5.

TaleofTwoDogs

Jun 1, 2004
Like everything else in life that measures efficiency, stars serve a useful standard of athletic performance. Unfortunately, stars are not the end-all in judging performance due to many variables. It's the intangibles like work ethic, determination, mind set and desire that can determine a player's athletic success. If you have these intangibles and some good skills, success can be achieved at the elite level. This is what Dak is talking about.

Last edited:

SirBarksalot

May 28, 2007
Stars aren’t the end all….but I’d sure like to have a class full of 5’s

Btw, Faulk said today that basically 247 allocates 32 5 stars total.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login