Damar Hamlin and Bill-Bengals rescheduling update

patdog

May 28, 2007
Just saw that his status is apparently unchanged. Still in ICU and in critical condition.

NFL has issued a statement that the game will not be resumed this week, and the week 18 schedule won't change. But they've made no decision on possibly finishing the game later. Reading between the lines, if the result of the game would affect playoff seeding, they're at least considering pushing the playoffs (or maybe just part of the playoffs) back a week to allow the game to be finished the week after the regular season ends.

Reactions: She Mate Me

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022
I may be missing something, but it seems like from checking the standings that there are only a handful of very specific scenarios involving the Chiefs, Bills, Bengals, Ravens, and Chargers in Week 18 that would make that Bills-Chiefs game not relevant for playoff seeding for any of those 5 teams.

It seems like the league needs to go ahead and start making the arrangements for them to either finish it or just restart it at a later date.

POTUS

Sep 29, 2022
Football doesn’t matter at a time like this. Cancel the season.

of course I’m being sarcastic but the outrage mob is out in full force on this one. Anyone who is even the least bit curious about the season implications is a tasteless goon worthy of cancelation. The self-righteous indignation is at all time levels.

eckie1

Jun 23, 2007
Just call it a tie and move on.
A tie would count against both teams…. I wish they could find a way to call it a no contest and adjust the rest of the league accordingly…. Like adjust their percentages by 1/32 or something. I’m too lazy Romeo the math.

patdog

May 28, 2007
I may be missing something, but it seems like from checking the standings that there are only a handful of very specific scenarios involving the Chiefs, Bills, Bengals, Ravens, and Chargers in Week 18 that would make that Bills-Chiefs game not relevant for playoff seeding for any of those 5 teams.

It seems like the league needs to go ahead and start making the arrangements for them to either finish it or just restart it at a later date.
I think the league is handling this right. No way you could make them finish it this week. See what happens this weekend and then if they can find a workable way to finish it later, do it. If not, just live with the fact seedings might not be exactly what they “should” be.

PBDog

Oct 1, 2021
I think the league is handling this right. No way you could make them finish it this week. See what happens this weekend and then if they can find a workable way to finish it later, do it. If not, just live with the fact seedings might not be exactly what they “should” be.
Just flip a coin - been done before

Reactions: preacher_dawg

preacher_dawg

Nov 12, 2014

As far as the game, most Bills fans of groups that I am part of could care less about the game now, even if it means moving the Bill's to a 3 seed. A lot of fans said they won't be able to watch another game this year.

BulldogBlitz

Dec 11, 2008
As far as the game, most Bills fans of groups that I am part of could care less about the game now, even if it means moving the Bill's to a 3 seed. A lot of fans said they won't be able to watch another game this year.

Just leave the bills out of the playoffs. If they don't want to play this one why would they want to play any other?

Cantdoitsal

Sep 26, 2022
Just leave the bills out of the playoffs. If they don't want to play this one why would they want to play any other?
Might be the best option at this point or at least until Hamlin recovers and is no longer in critical condition. (thinking positively here).

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022

I agree there’s no way they could finish this week. Not with Hamlin still in the ICU and the whole situation still fresh on everyone’s minds. Plus you’d have the Bills playing 2 games in 4 days or something - both with massive implications. But if they have any desire to complete the season with this game included, they need to be looking at how the playoff slate can be moved back. It doesn’t seem very likely that any theoretical result of this game would not have huge playoff implications.

pmack3641

Aug 9, 2019
Just end the season per the schedule. If necessary they’re (nfl) smart enough to come up with a number of tie breakers in order to seat each team for the playoffs, no need to makeup the game or adjust the schedule. Plus I seriously doubt that the bills players give a dam about that game now.

POTUS

Sep 29, 2022
People have lost their minds over this. I can promise you that none of the Bills players want to simply throw away the season so they can wait for updates on their teammates' condition. He wouldn't want that, and they don't either. People suffer injuries, get sick, die or nearly die every day. The world keeps turning. Something like 300K people have died since Hamlin suffered that injury. All of them sons, daughters, brothers, sisters, wives, husbands, etc. Injury and death are parts of life. You have to grieve and then you have to move on. Sometimes more quickly than you'd like.

greenbean.sixpack

Oct 6, 2012
People have lost their minds over this. I can promise you that none of the Bills players want to simply throw away the season so they can wait for updates on their teammates' condition. He wouldn't want that, and they don't either. People suffer injuries, get sick, die or nearly die every day. The world keeps turning. Something like 300K people have died since Hamlin suffered that injury. All of them sons, daughters, brothers, sisters, wives, husbands, etc. Injury and death are parts of life. You have to grieve and then you have to move on. Sometimes more quickly than you'd like.
A rare opinion of common sense on SPS. People die all the time, fast food workers have been shot and killed in restaurants and the restaurant reopen a few days later. You think CML or his family would have wanted us to cancel the bowl game?

Does anyone think the Bills are practicing on this very day?

Last edited:

msualohadog

Oct 25, 2014
The two issues aren't mutually exclusive. You can be both concerned and curious. I lost $750 on the game in our fantasy league. I was playing for championship with Josh Allen and was nine points behind at the beginning of the game (other team had finished). Our league rules say game must be made up the same week. I am both sad and understanding because I'm - well, an adult.

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006
...Reading between the lines, if the result of the game would affect playoff seeding, they're at least considering pushing the playoffs (or maybe just part of the playoffs) back a week to allow the game to be finished the week after the regular season ends.
I kind of expect this to happen unless the NFL, NFLPA, and affected AFC teams make a deal.

The Super Bowl would be one week after the conference championship games if the result of the game affects seeding.

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022

I think there are a lot more moving parts than just Hamlin. Bills might in theory be able to play today, but then they’d lose a ton of practice time for their game on Sunday against the Patriots. They definitely couldn’t play tomorrow and then turn around and play Sunday. That game on Sunday also cannot be moved back under any circumstances without other changes, because the Patriots currently have the final Wild Card spot, so you’d be talking about giving them and Buffalo both one less day of preparation for their playoff matchup than their opponent (unless their opponent was each other), and NE would have to travel.

Then you also have the Bengals. They are still mathematically in the hunt for the bye in the NFC and the 2 seed as well. So they want to play as its their only chance to catch the Chiefs / Bills. But you also have a lot of the same quick turnaround concerns with them, too.

A lot of things to consider.

POTUS

Sep 29, 2022
I think there are a lot more moving parts than just Hamlin. Bills might in theory be able to play today, but then they’d lose a ton of practice time for their game on Sunday against the Patriots. They definitely couldn’t play tomorrow and then turn around and play Sunday. That game on Sunday also cannot be moved back under any circumstances without other changes, because the Patriots currently have the final Wild Card spot, so you’d be talking about giving them and Buffalo both one less day of preparation for their playoff matchup than their opponent (unless their opponent was each other), and NE would have to travel.

Then you also have the Bengals. They are still mathematically in the hunt for the bye in the NFC and the 2 seed as well. So they want to play as its their only chance to catch the Chiefs / Bills. But you also have a lot of the same quick turnaround concerns with them, too.

A lot of things to consider.
Agreed. Lots of points to consider. My main gripe was with people who seem to think considering them is somehow disrespectful to Hamlin. We can’t help him any more. We can speculate on how to move on going forward. Nothing wrong with that.

greenbean.sixpack

Oct 6, 2012
The mostly likely outcome is they will probably not play the game and go by winning percentage. Either that or move back the start of the playoffs for a week.

BulldogBlitz

Dec 11, 2008
They might want to play other games in the future so long as they don’t see any of their teammates nearly die on the field in front of them in those games. Surely you can understand that.
I can. But what is it...the Bengals will remind them or what?

They can say "we don't want to play this game, but let us play all the others". That doesn't make sense, Shirley you can see that.

Irondawg

Dec 2, 2007
The solution for this is simple. Both teams pick their best Madden player and let them settle it that way

Reactions: patdog
Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login