Damnit, Memphis

Drebin

Aug 22, 2012
Shots fired in the parking lot of the new Top Golf.

We can't have anything nice.

Of course nobody really finds any of this surprising.

Reactions: WilCoDawg

DAWGSANDSAINTS

Oct 10, 2022
Didn’t we have another discussion about something similar a week again or so ?
They’ll have to shut it down before long.
Some people just aren’t going to let others have anything nice.

jxndawg

Dec 26, 2009
Shots fired in the parking lot of the new Top Golf.

We can't have anything nice.

Of course nobody really finds any of this surprising.
I've lived in Oxford for 8 years. My local TV channels are all out of Memphis, so I see the local news every day. It's amazing how much worse it's gotten in that time. I've gone from being willing to take my kids to see the Christmas lights at night at the zoo, to only going to the parts in and around Germantown. Kids wanted to go see something at the Orpheum next month, so I got tickets for the 1:00 show - no way would I take them downtown after dark.

Reactions: Doubledawgblitz

Car Ramrod.sixpack

Sep 21, 2017
When they announced where they were going to build it I gave it 1 year before it was shut down. After being open for less than a month I give it 6 months. There has already been multiple brawls inside the venue and now shots fired in the parking lot, the future doesn't look very promising. I don't know if they thought the TG's presents would cause other business to move into the area and make it better or if they never actually visited the future?

The only way they will keep the doors open is if they jack the prices up to the point where it will keep the riff-raff out.

Reactions: Doubledawgblitz

KentuckyDawg13

Aug 15, 2006
Lived in Melvis from 1991-1995, it's a piece of work. Had my first instance of someone pointing a gun at me while I was cycling. Some pathetic people live in that place.
From an entertainment perspective though, A+. Great live music, museums, etc.

ckDOG

Dec 11, 2007
St Jude researcher was murdered near his home a few days ago. Nice area downtown by the river. In front of his wife and 2 yr old. 2 folks arrested and charged but it'll be years before any justice is done there. Awful. I'm sure the next batch of leaders recently elected claiming to be tough on crime have some ideas to fix it*****

Shmuley

Mar 6, 2008

PhredPhantom

Mar 3, 2008
Concealed Carry was made for situations like these. Open Carry might be even more of a deterrent but local laws will dictate what you can do. Better yet; avoid areas like these (when practical) to lower the probability of dangerous situations the first place.

I live in a low-crime, rural area where the likelihood of confrontation is normally pretty low but I’m carrying anytime I step outside the door to leave the house. I’d rather have it and not need it than need it and not have it. The most useless gun in the world is the one you don’t have with you when you need it. Always remember - when seconds count, the police are just minutes away.

If someone decides to carry, they need to get their mind right ahead of time with a plan for dangerous situations and the pre-planned determination and will to carry out the plan if required. I hope I never have to put the plan into action but I’m physically, mentally, and emotionally ready if I ever do have to. As the old saying goes, I’d rather be judged by twelve than carried by six.

Just my two cents worth. Your mileage may vary.

Faustdog

Jun 4, 2007
Never been to Jackson, huh ?

I think I'll take up for Jackson vs Memphis here. Murder is up like 40% this year in Memphis. Jackson is in its second year of declining crime.

Here is the wild thing about Memphis. You can't get away from the murder. It is everywhere. Take a look at this map.

In Jackson I don't believe there has been a murder this year in all of Northeast Jackson, Fondren, or Belhaven.

I may be mistaken, but I believe there have been three murders in the entire capitol complex improvement district this year. Two of them were the redneck who came over from Florence and murdered the two black folks who tried to stop him from smacking his girlfriend around.

Jackson has its issues, but you can feel pretty comfortable in the areas anyone coming from out of town would need to go.

Shmuley

Mar 6, 2008
I think I'll take up for Jackson vs Memphis here. Murder is up like 40% this year in Memphis. Jackson is in its second year of declining crime.

Here is the wild thing about Memphis. You can't get away from the murder. It is everywhere. Take a look at this map.

In Jackson I don't believe there has been a murder this year in all of Northeast Jackson, Fondren, or Belhaven.

I may be mistaken, but I believe there have been three murders in the entire capitol complex improvement district this year. Two of them were the redneck who came over from Florence and murdered the two black folks who tried to stop him from smacking his girlfriend around.

Jackson has its issues, but you can feel pretty comfortable in the areas anyone coming from out of town would need to go.
CCID has been a game-changer.

PBRME

Feb 12, 2004
Top Golf released a statement they’re adding more security. How long before security gets shot?

Drebin

Aug 22, 2012
Top Golf released a statement they’re adding more security. How long before security gets shot?
Cool. On the same newscast that I saw the story on the top golf shooting, there was a story of the city's largest security firm hiring unlicensed security agents.

What could go wrong?

Reactions: PBRME

99jc

Jul 31, 2008
try living in chicago.....

there have been 477 murders in Chicago (so far, as of Oct 25) in 2023. So about 48/month. With two months left in 2023, there will about 96 more murders (on average). So the final number will be about 573 murdered in the city in 2023 (probably just under 600 people murdered).

Jacknut

Sep 29, 2022
Yeah, the current county sherriff ran and came in second. :cry: Outgoing Mayor Strickland did a good job destroying the city the previous 8 years. I hope the new folks will care about crime, but that may be a longshot.

Pilgrimdawg

Aug 30, 2018
Same problem no matter the community, town, or city. In 30 years the entire Southeast will be like a third world country. Watch your local news at night for a few days in a row. A blind man can figure it out.

Car Ramrod.sixpack

Sep 21, 2017
Yeah, the current county sherriff ran and came in second. :cry: Outgoing Mayor Strickland did a good job destroying the city the previous 8 years. I hope the new folks will care about crime, but that may be a longshot.
Floyd is a good guy and has really straightened up the Shelby County Sheriff's department. My wife has worked with him thru a philanthropic organization and he made a good impression with the them on combating crime. My wife never had a lot of respect for Jim Strickland from her interactions with him or his his office.

There was lot of people running for mayor and Floyd would have won if it wasn't for the number of candidates. The guy that won is really young and not a lot of political or governmental experience. I have a feeling there is a group that didn't want Floyd to win so they flooded the ballot. I don't have a lot of hope for Memphis's future.

Reactions: Jacknut

Darryl Steight

Sep 30, 2022

Damn, that map is wild. Guess I was right to build out in Collierville when I lived up there.

Reactions: Faustdog

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022

I dunno, East Memphis still hanging in there by a thread. The last stronghold remaining - the inside of the mouth of a Murder PacMan, it would appear.

IMG_4089.jpeg

I guess that’s where they should have built the Top Golf….

dog12

Sep 15, 2016
When they announced where they were going to build it I gave it 1 year before it was shut down. After being open for less than a month I give it 6 months. There has already been multiple brawls inside the venue and now shots fired in the parking lot, the future doesn't look very promising. I don't know if they thought the TG's presents would cause other business to move into the area and make it better or if they never actually visited the future?

The only way they will keep the doors open is if they jack the prices up to the point where it will keep the riff-raff out.

Top Golf needs to jack up the prices? To keep the riff-raff out? In Memphis?

Damn.

I went to the Top Golf in Ashburn, Virginia once . . . ONCE. And I'll never go back. I thought the prices for food, drinks, and their silly game were 17ing outrageous.

Maybe they're trying to keep riff-raff like me away . . . and it's working.

greenbean.sixpack

Oct 6, 2012
Same problem no matter the community, town, or city. In 30 years the entire Southeast will be like a third world country. Watch your local news at night for a few days in a row. A blind man can figure it out.
I've been saying this for years. Eventually the entire state will be Greenville.

StateCollege

Oct 17, 2022
Incoming mayor is very promising. But he certainly has his work cut out for him.

Captain Ron

Aug 22, 2012
Yet, you see places like Miami Florida (along with most of the state) that have been able to turn the murder rate around.

We have seen the changes before in places like NYC. It can be done.

It starts with a leader that realizes it is a lot like parenting and that there must be consequences for your actions.

Reactions: Darryl Steight
Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login