Dampier, Stansbury, and recruiting

redfish66

Nov 15, 2005
I found this little nugget with a quick google search

Coach34 - chew on it for awhile

String Music - The Rise of SEC Basketball

From page 190

"To keep the program at a high level, Williams wanted to stem that flow of in-state blue-chip talent that had been finding its way to other schools. That would be Stansbury's primary job"

From Page 192

"You couldn't count the hours Rick spent recruiting Erick, Williams recalled. He got to know everyone in Monticello, everybody close to Erick and got them on our side."

patdog

May 28, 2007
I can't believe that book totally ignored the architect of our Final Four team.

futaba.79

Jun 4, 2007
how do you leave out the man that made it all happen? When you consider he worked for the Univ of Houston at the time, it makes for a remarkable story.

saddawg

Jun 25, 2006
What's bad is Stans saying Dontae wanted to come back but had accepted stuff from an agent.

Dawg152

Mar 3, 2008
Also in that book Richard Williams is quoted saying Rick Stansbury came to him and said he had found a player that if we signed we would go to the Final Four. Williams didn't really put much stock in it, but said if he is that good go sign him. That player was Dontae' Jones.

Stormrider81

May 1, 2006
I've never before seen anyone totally write of Stansbury's role in the Final Four team. Only Douche34. Regardless of what you think of Stansbury as a head coach, we wouldn't have made that trip to the Final Four without him on staff.

HammerOfTheDogs

Aug 6, 2004
...every time MSu has success in anything, ie, "the Dontae Jones Rule", the "Jackie Sherrill rule" (for JUCO transfers), "The Cowbell Rule" (where Fascist baby-killers want to ban the symbol of freedom for MSU fans everywhere), etc?

redfish66

Nov 15, 2005
ESPN Story

Quote:_________________________________________________He's pushed the Bulldogs to the top of the Southeastern Conference with the same "relentless" work ethic that made Williams hire him when fortune gave Stansbury an unexpected chance at a full-time job back in 1990._________________________________________________

Quote:_________________________________________________"I put him on the road with the understanding that we would evaluate and see how he did," Williams said. "He's just a tremendously hard worker. Nobody would outwork him."_________________________________________________

Quote:_________________________________________________"You've got to give all the credit to Stansbury. The scouting reports and everything, the detail, you've just got to give those coaches credit," senior forward Charles Rhodes said. "They brought us together."_________________________________________________

Quote:_________________________________________________Williams said the Bulldogs would be nowhere, though, without Stansbury's knack for bringing talent to Starkville. The former coach, who retired in 1998, said Stansbury's recruiting helped build Mississippi State into a national contender in the mid-1990s with appearances in the round of 16 in 1995 and the Final Four in 1996._________________________________________________

"I can just remember when I was in high school my senior year, he was just supporting me all the time," Rhodes said. "He came to all my games, he came to my house, just to make sure I was doing the right thing. That just really made me want to come here.

"He showed that he cared."

Stormrider81

May 1, 2006
It's pretty obvious that in football and men's hoops they wish we'd stay in our appointed spot as perennial bottom feeders.

1MSUDawgFan

Feb 23, 2008
Peaches will say "I never said Stansbury wasn't a good recruiter. He went out and recruited the talent and Williams was the one that got the team to play through his excellent floor coaching." Or some bullcrap like that.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login