Dan at Tennessee vs Dan at Florida

StateJCP

Jul 7, 2021
If Dan had gone to Tennessee instead of Florida would he still be the coach today at Rocky Top?

Bulldogg31

Dec 9, 2013
Since Phil Fulmer was fired they’ve had five different head coaches in 12 years, meaning that coaches at Tennessee last an average of 2.4 seasons each.

By this math, Dan Mullen would have been fired from Tennessee after getting blown out by Alabama on October 24, 2020.

Also, Josh Heupel will be leaving on October 23, 2023 after being blown out by Bama.

preacher_dawg

Nov 12, 2014
Since Phil Fulmer was fired they’ve had five different head coaches in 12 years, meaning that coaches at Tennessee last an average of 2.4 seasons each.

By this math, Dan Mullen would have been fired from Tennessee after getting blown out by Alabama on October 24, 2020.

Also, Josh Heupel will be leaving on October 23, 2023 after being blown out by Bama.

Pruitt is no longer their coach? I can't keep up.

GloryDawg

Mar 3, 2005
If Dan would have answered the recruiting question during that press conference. better he might still be at Florida. I personally thought that sealed his doom more than anything.

patdog

May 28, 2007
If Dan would have won a few more games, he might still be at Florida. He didn't get fired because some people took a press conference quote out of context and ran with it. He got fired for losing to Kentucky, South Carolina, Missouri, getting blown out by Georgia and giving up 50 points to freaking Samford.

RiverCityDawg

Dec 30, 2009
If Dan had gone to Tennessee instead of Florida would he still be the coach today at Rocky Top?

Absolutely he would. Dan's style is much more conducive to building a program up from hard times than it is taking a program to the next level. The personalities behind the scenes and pressure to out recruit GA and be in the playoff discussion now did him in, and I don't see those same kind of pressures at UT.

Now, maybe he would eventually have gotten fired at UT if he changed expectations and then plateaued, but it wouldn't have happened this quick there. They had too far to go.

GloryDawg

Mar 3, 2005
If Dan would have won a few more games, he might still be at Florida. He didn't get fired because some people took a press conference quote out of context and ran with it. He got fired for losing to Kentucky, South Carolina, Missouri, getting blown out by Georgia and giving up 50 points to freaking Samford.

You are correct but either one might have gotten him another year. That statement about recruiting hit the wrong people the wrong way.

patdog

May 28, 2007
Again, he didn't get fired for a comment in a press conference. Take that comment away and he's still just as fired today. He'd rubbed a lot of people the wrong way long before that comment. But even if he hadn't, you can't perform like that on the field at Florida and keep your job.

GloryDawg

Mar 3, 2005
Again, he didn't get fired for a comment in a press conference. Take that comment away and he's still just as fired today. He'd rubbed a lot of people the wrong way long before that comment. But even if he hadn't, you can't perform like that on the field at Florida and keep your job.

I under stand that but the combination of the two is what did him in. That statement pissed a lot of people off and it just stemmed rolled on him. Everyone has their opinion.

horshack.sixpack

Oct 30, 2012
He may not have gotten fired from that specific comment, but I do think that the attitude that he has/displays when questioned/criticized and his inability to even pretend to have a little humility is a huge reason he was fired.

We suck again

Nov 16, 2016
I under stand that but the combination of the two is what did him in. That statement pissed a lot of people off and it just stemmed rolled on him. Everyone has their opinion.

Does anybody expect him to be good with the press.

If it was about winning press conferences Dan would be coaching

Smoked Toag

Jul 15, 2021
He'd still be at Tennessee, but I do think he'd eventually get fired because he wouldn't have gotten them back to where they still think they should be. I don't think he's a fit at Tennessee either, they need a recruiter.

Bill Shankly

Nov 27, 2020
How about THIS question: Matt Corrall was committed to Florida when Mullen took the job. Would Mullen still be at Florida if he hadn't cut him loose?

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login