Dan Carlin on the state of college football

DawgInThe256

Feb 18, 2011
Since there are several on this board that are Hardcore History fans, you might enjoy the latest Solid Verbal podcast featuring an interview with Dan Carlin. He's a pretty big college football fan, and is a Colorado alum. I pretty much agree with everything he said about conference realignment. The gist of which is that if you take away the traditions in college football, you're left with just a watered down version of the NFL.

https://www.solidverbal.com/2022/07/21/the-hardcore-history-crossover-episode-with-dan-carlin/

patdog

May 28, 2007
Without listening to it, I agree 100% with the gist of it. And why would I want to watch a watered down version of the NFL when I can watch the real thing?

ababyatemydingo

Nov 27, 2008
I think when this all shakes out in a few years (maybe a decade), this will be a huge case of players cutting off their nose to spite their face. Which, most teenagers and early 20's kids aren't ready to make solid decisions, anyway. And the popularity and draw of college football will be a shell of what it was. And with that, the money won't be there as it once was.

onewoof

Mar 4, 2008
Without listening to it, I agree 100% with the gist of it. And why would I want to watch a watered down version of the NFL when I can watch the real thing?

Because not all markets are large enough to have an NFL franchise. So, we will have what amounts to a "state league" like the European city leagues.

M R DAWGS

Apr 13, 2018
Imagine that, we had something nice with great pageantry and tradition built from the personal pride in representing something greater than yourself, money and greed seep in, the government (congress) gets involved and things take a turn for the worse. Seems to be a recurring theme with government influence. USPS(loses billions of tax dollars annually), health insurance (cost tripling) etc. I’m sure there are many more examples.

CochiseCowbell

Oct 29, 2012
Thanks for the head's up and the link.

FYI: Dan comes in at about the 11 minute 30 second mark.

Captain Ron

Aug 22, 2012
ababyatemydingo;[URL="tel:2053837" said:
2053837[/URL]]I think when this all shakes out in a few years (maybe a decade), this will be a huge case of players cutting off their nose to spite their face. Which, most teenagers and early 20's kids aren't ready to make solid decisions, anyway. And the popularity and draw of college football will be a shell of what it was. And with that, the money won't be there as it once was.

It really is interesting to watch this happen. When you consider that college football was already in decline, what happens to the NIL money if that continues? Are people gonna feel the same pride in their school team if the stands are half full or worse and in turn, shuck out dollars to players when more and more people have lost the passion for the sport?

I had already lost it for CBB as I watch much, much less. Now this? And yep, I know it has been happening in the shadows for years, but when you throw in the transfer rules etc, there is a tipping point.

I hope I am wrong and it plays out in a different way as there is almost nothing I like better than waking up on a Saturday in the South.

Seinfeld

Nov 30, 2006
And sadly, how quickly we forget that 95% of these kids have little to no shot at professional sports, and many actually are in school to get an education and enjoy college life. If I found out today that my kids were getting a full ride to play soccer, golf, whatever, I’d be be over the moon

All of this feels like a death spiral today because there’s such an utter lack of rules or control over any of it, but I actually do feel like there’s a solution, and it starts with figuring out how to get the LeBrons of the world out of college sports. The sport of football desperately needs an alternative

onewoof

Mar 4, 2008
whether we see it this way or agree/disagree, all sports is entertainment, and the USA has a an entertainment budget that is outpacing all of the health insurance, gas, inflation, etc.

our apetite for entertainment knows no bounds.

HRMSU

Apr 26, 2022
You follow drugs, you get drug addicts and drug dealers. But you start to follow the money, and you don't know where the 17 it's gonna take you. - Det. Lester Freamon

CochiseCowbell

Oct 29, 2012
Get off my lawn! I hate change!

Cute, but misguided.

Nuance is the nature of this thread & most, if not all, discussions regarding said changes.

We thank you for your shouting opinion. It has contributed so much in this transition.

BigDawg0074

Oct 12, 2016
It seems to me that media executives are right square in the middle of this whole thing and I never hear any talk about their influence. I doubt they care at all if fans are in the stadium, better for them and their advertisers for you to watch at home.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login