Dan McDonnell seems like a great hire and he knows the area.

patdog

May 28, 2007
Head baseball coach at MSU is easily one of the top 20 jobs in the nation, and arguably one of the top 10 (or even top 5) jobs. There's just no way that Louisville can even begin to compare to MSU in terms of facilities, fan support, tradition, etc. They could compete money-wise if they chose to, but that would depend on how much money they would want to pull away from their football and/or basketball programs.</p>

inthegoat

Mar 3, 2008
I think we could snag him based on our fanbase and facilities. We are a top-5 program, I think.

G

Goat Holder

But our facilities/tradition/etc. ain't gonna mean **** if we don't nut and PAY somebody.

Emanonion

Mar 3, 2008
He took Louisville to the CWS in his second year, and I remember hearing that they were building new facilities for him there. Now I doubt they will have a left field dump like MSU, but Im sure they will be nice.

saltybulldog

Nov 15, 2005
What are the Top 10 - 20 programs paying their coaches?

LSU
Arizona State
Miami
Clemson
FSU
USC
Ole Miss
North Carolina
Texas
Cal State Full
etc

patdog

May 28, 2007
which is pretty good for a sport that loses money every year at 99% of the schools in the country.

oem

Feb 23, 2008
http://uoflsports.cstv.com/facilities/lou-facilities-patterson-stadium.html

I was in Louisville last summer and took a ride out to the campus. The baseball stadium is nestled between Papa John's Stadium and Churchill Downs. Its obviously not as big as Dudy Noble, but it is very nice. The odd thing about it is the entire feid is artificial turf, including the mound and base path areas.

Tom Jurich is one of the top AD's in the country. During his tenure they have added state of the art facilities for every sport. The worst venue that they currently play in is Freedom Hall and there are plans to build a new arena downtown. An expansion of Papa John's is in the works as well.

I bring this up in response to pat's claim that they would somehow have to take away from football or basketball to keep their baseball coach. I don't think that's true. Jurich could raise a few hundred thousand in the blink of an eye if need be.

oem

Feb 23, 2008
patdog said:
which is pretty good for a sport that loses money every year at 99% of the schools in the country.

</p>That is slightly more than Cohen is making at Kentucky.

G

Goat Holder

then it shouldn't even be a question. I cannot decide right now what I would do, If I was Byrne. Who's to say Raffo couldn't do a great job. I personally feel Polk himself held us back.

Mjoelner

Sep 2, 2006
saying that Cohen was interested in the MSU job if it were available and it also stated this:

"...Cohen signed a new, 5-year deal, worth $295,000 a year. That put Cohen in the middle of the SEC pack for coaches' salaries."

So, either SEC baseball coaches' pay tops out just over $300k with the bottom around $285k or either Polk was making middle-of-the-pack money here even with our great facilities and fan support.

Does this mean we can't afford to pay a coach more than $300k a year or does it mean that Polk figured he already had enough money and settled for the $300k?

Like another poster in this thread suggested, it would be good for a real investigative beat writer to find out the SEC baseball coaches' salaries.

The Lord Humongous

Mar 1, 2008
Emanonion said:
He took Louisville to the CWS in his second year, and I remember hearing that they were building new facilities for him there. Now I doubt they will have a left field dump like MSU, but Im sure they will be nice.

Actually, he got to the CWS in his first year at Louisville. This season is his 2nd. Some credit has to go to Lelo Prado for doing some decent recruiting to UL but McDonnell certainly put his stamp on the team right off and had several transfers and new recruits of his own that contributed last year.

Several UM fans I talk to really wonder if the downward trend (don't have a sh*& Rebel fans...still the high and mighty Rebs but a somewhat downward trend is obvious) isn't directly related to a drop off in recruiting from McDonnell's last year or so while time was spent trying to become a HC and the fact that he built better team chemistry as a #1 asst than the new guy.

He really could be the next big thing.</p>

patdog

May 28, 2007
is going to be better than 99% of schools in the country are paying. Also, I'm sure we could easily go up another $50K to $100K.

Mar 9, 2008
I think Polk got a raise to his current salary in '03 after Ole Miss bumped Bianco up to that pay range. At the time, I think they were in the Top 5 in the country. Bianco has gotten another couple of raises since then. I think the latest matched LSU's attempts around $500,000. If Ole Miss can pay around half a million for a baseball coach, State can.

oem

Feb 23, 2008
Actually, I left out the most important word of his comment - NOT.

</p>

patdog

May 28, 2007
The point of my post was that Louisville could easily match us financially if they want to. The only question is how much of a deficit do they want their baseball program to run at. They can't come close to matching us in facilities (although theirs are nice), fan support or tradition though.

Emanonion

Mar 3, 2008
I said exactly what I meant. It looks like a trash heap. You all may see it as a great tradition, but it really looks bad.

patdog

May 28, 2007
pretty much every player who plays in Dudy Noble leaves raving about the place. And Sports Illustrated rated it as the best place to watch college baseball in the country.

saltybulldog

Nov 15, 2005
One pre-requisite to making money in college baseball is a premier facility. The schools that are profitable - Arkansas, Texas and Mississippi State among them - have stadiums that compare favorably with the best facilities in Minor League Baseball.
The above is from a previously linked article. My guess is that if even a portion of our place was viewed subjectively as a dump would not make a statement like this.

Mar 3, 2008
patdog said:
pretty much every player who plays in Dudy Noble leaves raving about the place. And Sports Illustrated rated it as the best place to watch college baseball in the country.

The left field lounge looks like a dump or a junk yard. It is very unique. It is special. You guys probably have great food out there, and have a great time. It may be one of the best places to watch college baseball in the country. I won't argue any of that. However, even with all of those things going for it, it still looks like a junkyard. Nothing wrong with that, but it is what it is.</p>

Optimus Prime 4

May 1, 2006
I think Dudy is a premier college park, but to compare it to Autozone? It's not remotely close.
Also, schools like Louisville and NC can lose money on baseball. UNC's athletic department is swimming in money.

Todd4State

Mar 3, 2008
well the Grove is just a bunch of trees with drunk people under them. <NAAAAAAA.....pissing contest>

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login