Dan Mullen

GloryDawg

Mar 3, 2005
Why try to beg and get back with same girl that was always looking around to cheat on you every thanksgiving holidays, and the same one who left you when her old boyfriend called. Usually never works out. Once a cheater always a cheater. Go find a new girl.
Coaching aside maybe she's just that good in bed.

Ranchdawg

Dec 13, 2012
Polk returning was a disaster and made a portion of the fan base hate Polk. Set the baseball program back nearly a decade. Mullen returning would do the same. Stay far away.
x=y. Therefore y must equal z???

I don't see that as being the case. Mullen would be a vast improvement over the current coaching staff. In fact, I think he would cherry pick some of the current staff and bring in a really good defensive coordinator.

Reactions: Trojanbulldog19

Ranchdawg

Dec 13, 2012
Mullen had a revolving door of DCs. He's not the easiest guy to work for and I'm sure that's now well known throughout coaching circles.
I agree, but he found someone willing to take our money and step up. At least he is a known variable and he did take us to #1.

horshack.sixpack

Oct 30, 2012
Robbie and hadad on the rumblings both said Dan Mullen would be their first call once arnett gets fired. I know some will disagree, but man I got so excited just thinking about the possibility of him coming back. Sometimes you gotta go back to actually move forward!
I hope it was for advice, or it was a joke, or it was anything but him actually being back on the sideline coaching...

ETA: or getting permission to change the 4th quarter song

Last edited:

kired

Aug 22, 2008
Why try to beg and get back with same girl that was always looking around to cheat on you every thanksgiving holidays, and the same one who left you when her old boyfriend called. Usually never works out. Once a cheater always a cheater. Go find a new girl.
Yeah, but what if she's changed... it'll be different this time... looking to settle down long term... start a family together...

I did date a girl for about a year that was like this. I've seen her husband a few times the last 10-15 years and every time I see him I wonder if he knows, or just doesn't care. Because there's no way you'd convince me she ever changed.

Drebin

Aug 22, 2012
Robbie and hadad on the rumblings both said Dan Mullen would be their first call once arnett gets fired. I know some will disagree, but man I got so excited just thinking about the possibility of him coming back. Sometimes you gotta go back to actually move forward!
Dan 2.0 would be worse than Polk 2.0. We know he didn't like being here, and we know he doesn't like to recruit. Yeah, sign me up for more of that.**

BirdPuppy

Aug 5, 2023
I completely understand if we don’t go this route. I could definitely see it working out poorly
Probably not my first call, but I could see it working out to 8 wins a year and the imbecile wing of our fanbase finding reasons to b!tch. He’s not some washed up hack; he’s 51 with plenty left to prove.

cristilmethod

Aug 24, 2012
I don't consider myself either pro or anti-Dan returning, but I am, at least, intrigued by the thought of it. For a couple of reasons:

1) Yes, he spent every post-Halloween looking for greener grass. But did he learn anything from the Florida situation that it's not always better on the other side? You wouldn't want to re-hire 2017 Dan Mullen. But is 2023 Dan Mullen any wiser from the experience he had once he did finally leave and crashed and burned?
2) Has the ego improved any? Granted, ego is a big part of probably every major college head coach, but there were plenty of times where Dan's did him in, including leading to his poor handling of some in game situations, and basically every November-February from 2009-2017.

I will die on the hill that Dan Mullen and Mark Stoops are one and the same; Stoops just knows who he is and his limitations as a coach and program developer. What he's done at Kentucky is what Dan did here, to a somewhat lesser extent when you consider 2014 and some of Dan's other peaks. Both have an eye for poaching under-the-radar talent to feed lower-level programs and build them into sustained, quality programs. Both struggle against the upper-tier teams every season, but overall, end up shaking out 7-9 win seasons year after year in places where it's not necessarily a given. Over the years, Stoops seems to have realized his fit there, whereas Dan never did. The question is: does Dan understand his strengths and weaknesses now?

jethreauxdawg

Dec 20, 2010
I’m fine with it as long as he gets payed in one lump sum on January 31, following the season, contingent on him still being employed at the university/athletic department. If he or his agent or their representatives speak with any team, media corporation, or car wash or their representatives regarding employment prior to receiving our written permission or February 1, he must return all monies paid to him by MSU or an affiliate of our athletic department within the last 26 months. If he’s good with that, I am too. Maybe a little clause about missing a bowl game and salary gets cut in half.

Reactions: Darryl Steight

josebrown

Aug 4, 2008
The further question is does he have a need to strain again. We have no idea. And that strain for greatness is what screwed our great seasons under him the last quarter of the season. If he has the drive to strain, it would be much better than what we’ve got for three quarters of the year, then he’d check out looking for greatness.

If he remains true to us, then I’d say he doesn’t have the strain required to give us what we want. Either he strains, and wants the first train out OR he doesn’t strain and wears shorts and loses to South Alabama's and get blown out in our league.

Chesusdog

May 2, 2006
The further question is does he have a need to strain again. We have no idea. And that strain for greatness is what screwed our great seasons under him the last quarter of the season. If he has the drive to strain, it would be much better than what we’ve got for three quarters of the year, then he’d check out looking for greatness.

If he remains true to us, then I’d say he doesn’t have the strain required to give us what we want. Either he strains, and wants the first train out OR he doesn’t strain and wears shorts and loses to South Alabama's and get blown out in our league.

In summation, STRAIN.

ckDOG

Dec 11, 2007
Some of y'all have too romantic of an ideal of what a head coach is in the modern era. Coaching is transactional. You pay for a service - not a committed wife or a girlfriend to be nice to you. It's insane some of you are thinking that way. Hell, the roster is now transactional. Our own alumni are bailing on us from the AD seat for better pay. Remove your feelings. If he were interested in coming back, we should have that conversation.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
I don't consider myself either pro or anti-Dan returning, but I am, at least, intrigued by the thought of it. For a couple of reasons:

1) Yes, he spent every post-Halloween looking for greener grass. But did he learn anything from the Florida situation that it's not always better on the other side? You wouldn't want to re-hire 2017 Dan Mullen. But is 2023 Dan Mullen any wiser from the experience he had once he did finally leave and crashed and burned?
2) Has the ego improved any? Granted, ego is a big part of probably every major college head coach, but there were plenty of times where Dan's did him in, including leading to his poor handling of some in game situations, and basically every November-February from 2009-2017.

I will die on the hill that Dan Mullen and Mark Stoops are one and the same; Stoops just knows who he is and his limitations as a coach and program developer. What he's done at Kentucky is what Dan did here, to a somewhat lesser extent when you consider 2014 and some of Dan's other peaks. Both have an eye for poaching under-the-radar talent to feed lower-level programs and build them into sustained, quality programs. Both struggle against the upper-tier teams every season, but overall, end up shaking out 7-9 win seasons year after year in places where it's not necessarily a given. Over the years, Stoops seems to have realized his fit there, whereas Dan never did. The question is: does Dan understand his strengths and weaknesses now?
This is a great post. I agree with this perspective. At minimum, we know Danny knows what a P5 athlete looks like, so that helps in the portal. He's also got the name cache now to sign QBs.

Reactions: Trojanbulldog19

The Peeper

Feb 26, 2008
I look back at jobs that I left because I was fed up with them at the time. There have been a few in my 40+ year working career and NO WAY would I EVER go back to one I left because I didn't like it. I don't get that logic from any of you. I've left jobs I really liked but had a better opportunity and for those, I would consider going back if the latest one didn't work out. But, again no way for one I left because I wasn't happy.

L4Dawg

Oct 27, 2016
This is a great post. I agree with this perspective. At minimum, we know Danny knows what a P5 athlete looks like, so that helps in the portal. He's also got the name cache now to sign QBs.
Agree. I doubt he would come back, but i would at least see if he is interested.

Dawgbite

Nov 1, 2011
I look back at jobs that I left because I was fed up with them at the time. There have been a few in my 40+ year working career and NO WAY would I EVER go back to one I left because I didn't like it. I don't get that logic from any of you. I've left jobs I really liked but had a better opportunity and for those, I would consider going back if the latest one didn't work out. But, again no way for one I left because I wasn't happy.
Ok, let’s look at it this way. Five million a year for four years, figure at least half is guaranteed so even if he works one year and gets fired that 12.5 million. Heck I’d live with my ex wife for a year for 12.5 million dollars.

Reactions: Darryl Steight

The Peeper

Feb 26, 2008
Ok, let’s look at it this way. Five million a year for four years, figure at least half is guaranteed so even if he works one year and gets fired that 12.5 million. Heck I’d live with my ex wife for a year for 12.5 million dollars.
What's he making working a couple days a week for 4 months a year now for ESPN and getting flown around free, expense account, watching football? He has no need to go back to recruiting w/ a high pressure job and especially now that transfers and NIL are so prevalent. Not to mention his buyout from Flarda which was $6 million up front and a million a year through 2027

MSUDC11-2.0

Sep 29, 2022
The issue is that 2.0 style head coaches are almost always worse than their first tenure at the same school. Not even counting Polk 2.0 in baseball, you have guys like Bill Snyder, Bobby Petrino, Mack Brown, etc. who had some success in their second go at a school but it wasn’t quite the same as the first time.

History says Mullen would have both a lower ceiling and a lower floor in a second stint here. 2014 was awesome but he only had one year like that and I’m not sure he can do it again. But there is proof that he hires his buddies, doesn’t like to recruit, and is capable of totally losing a locker room (see his last year at Florida).

Reactions: patdog

horshack.sixpack

Oct 30, 2012

Please no strain. The annual word of choice to describe what we were gonna do/be that year, i relentlessly do not miss...

karlchilders.sixpack

Jun 5, 2008
There are plenty of positives, and negatives about him.
I think we know the good, the bad, and the ugly part.

I think if he gets the players, he has the knowledge to put them together.
He can analyze players, and situations and makes them work as good as anybody (better than most).

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login