Dan Patrick says San Diego St. to PAC-12 as soon as this week

Dawgg

Sep 9, 2012
Surprised I haven't seen more traction on this story. It makes sense though, that's the only other FBS school in Southern California, which is a major gap being left behind by USC and UCLA.

patdog

May 28, 2007
Surprised I haven't seen more traction on this story. It makes sense though, that's the only other FBS school in Southern California, which is a major gap being left behind by USC and UCLA.
Seems like a desperation move to me. SDSU brings little to the table. Yes, they're in southern California, but they're pretty much ignored even in San Diego. It's like if the SEC lost Alabama and Auburn and added South Alabama to compensate.

Reactions: Dawgg

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022
Seems to be the Pac-12’s counter to Gonzaga to the Big 12 in the current “tallest midget” contest between those two conferences.

Reactions: patdog

MagnoliaHunter

Jan 23, 2007
I think BYU is a better fit for PAC 12 than the Big 12. BYU is going to have to travel to West Virginia.
Man is that going to be some major culture shock.
Silent Movie Vintage GIF

DawgInThe256

Feb 18, 2011
I like Dan Patrick and listen to the podcast almost every day, but his college football insider information has become a running joke.

Dawgg

Sep 9, 2012
Seems like a desperation move to me. SDSU brings little to the table. Yes, they're in southern California, but they're pretty much ignored even in San Diego. It's like if the SEC lost Alabama and Auburn and added South Alabama to compensate.
Oh I agree that it's a step down and probably desperate, but I'm not sure who else they would go after at this point. I think the Big 12 getting their media deal in place first has really put the Pac-12 in a bind.

The Big Ten, SEC, and ACC teams aren't going anywhere.
The Big 12 has a new media rights deal ready. You also have a lot of little fish in that conference that became big fish with Texas and OU leaving. I'm not sure they're going to give that up just so they can take a chance at playing on the west coast at midnight.

So that leaves the American, MAC, Conference USA, Mountain West, and the Sun Belt. I'm going to bypass any FCS teams for now. I think the North Dakota States and Montanas of the world are probably not going to be the backfill.

Let's assume they plan to stay with FBS schools in their footprint... that gives them:
San Jose St - They already have two Bay Area teams in Cal and Stanford. Not a step up from SDSU.
Fresno St - Central California, but not a step up from SDSU.
Nevada - Can't see this one moving the needle.
UNLV - I still think this is intriguing with Las Vegas becoming more of a sports destination.
Boise State - Maybe 15 years ago. I think this ship sailed after Chris Peterson left.
Utah State - Literally across the lake from an existing Pac-12 school.
Colorado State - Literally across the forest from an existing Pac-12 school.
Wyoming - Down the mountain from an existing Pac-12 school.
Air Force - Across the mountain from an existing Pac-12 school.
New Mexico - Maybe. It would at least be a new location, but not a step up from SDSU.
New Mexico State - Conference USA had to be on death's door before they agreed to take them.
UTEP - I mean... they'd be in Texas, but not a step up from SDSU.

After that, you're well into Big 12 country and it's what? UTSA? Texas State? UNT? Tulsa? SMU? Rice?
I can't see them being so desperate to add another team that they just randomly grab somebody farther east than Texas. I can't see Memphis, South Florida, or Tulane being worth it.

Last edited:

patdog

May 28, 2007
Oh I agree that it's a step down and probably desperate, but I'm not sure who else they would go after at this point. I think the Big 12 getting their media deal in place first has really put the Pac-12 in a bind.

The Big Ten, SEC, and ACC teams aren't going anywhere.
The Big 12 has a new media rights deal ready. You also have a lot of little fish in that conference that became big fish with Texas and OU leaving. I'm not sure they're going to give that up just so they can take a chance at playing on the west coast at midnight.

So that leaves the American, MAC, Conference USA, Mountain West, and the Sun Belt. I'm going to bypass any FCS teams for now. I think the North Dakota States and Montanas of the world are probably not going to be the backfill.

Let's assume they plan to stay with FBS schools in their footprint... that gives them:
San Jose St - They already have two Bay Area teams in Cal and Stanford. Not a step up from SDSU.
Fresno St - Central California, but not a step up from SDSU.
Nevada - Can't see this one moving the needle.
UNLV - I still think this is intriguing with Las Vegas becoming more of a sports destination.
Boise State - Maybe 15 years ago. I think this ship sailed after Chris Peterson left.
Utah State - Literally across the lake from an existing Pac-12 school.
Colorado State - Literally across the forest from an existing Pac-12 school.
Wyoming - Down the mountain from an existing Pac-12 school.
Air Force - Across the mountain from an existing Pac-12 school.
New Mexico - Maybe. It would at least be a new location, but not a step up from SDSU.
New Mexico State - Conference USA had to be on death's door before they took agreed to take them.
UTEP - I mean... they'd be in Texas, but not a step up from SDSU.

After that, you're well into Big 12 country and it's what? UTSA? Texas State? UNT? Tulsa? SMU? Rice?
I can't see them being so desperate to add another team that they just randomly grab somebody farther east than Texas. I can't see Memphis, South Florida, or Tulane being worth it.
I think the PAC-12 is pretty much screwed because as you point out, their options aren't good. But sometimes, the best option is to stay put if you can't add anyone who adds value. And SDSU doesn't add value. Their football attendance is about what Southern Miss's is. San Diego just isn't a sports town, and they're not going to move the needle anywhere else.

Reactions: Dawgg
Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login