Dangerous Heat Rest of the Week and thnr

Hugh's Burner Phone

Aug 3, 2017
Heat indexes will approach 120 the rest of this week for the western half of the state and 115 for the eastern half. Don't try to overdo it outside and keep a check on the elderly and pets. By early next week, however, rain chances return and some slightly cooler temps and maybe a decrease in humidity. It is August, though, so it's not a permanent cool down but I'll take whatever I can get.

For those interested that have Facebook, there is now another way you can support our team that costs you nothing. Facebook has a program where select groups get paid royalties based on site activity and interactions. Things such as liking, commenting, and sharing our posts gives us a kickback from Zuckerberg's wallet. I honestly don't know if liking and following our page counts or not, but you're certainly more than welcome to do that, too, as we're pushing to to go over 82,000 followers.

IMG_1642.png

IBleedMaroonDawg

Nov 12, 2007
Hey thanks I passed it along to a lot of friends and relatives back in North Mississippi.

Come over here South central Texas if you want to really be hot.
The Simpsons Summer GIF

Reactions: 57stratdawg

She Mate Me

Dec 7, 2008
This has been some rough stuff if you're doing anything physical outside. I'm usually pretty resilient, but I've had a few moments over the last week where I realized I was pretty close to pushing it too far. You really can't spend long periods working in this heat.

Hugh's Burner Phone

Aug 3, 2017

Rupert Jenkins

Nov 29, 2017
This "dangerous heat" thing is really overboard in my opinion. I was out in it all day yesterday. It's mostly about the condition of our population. It's all about what you are use to. If you lay up under the air conditioner 24/7 you probly can't take the heat. 2 generations ago our ancestors were in it all day and came home to no air conditioning. Now all the schools and hospitals and homes are 65 or 70 degrees.

Dawg1976

Aug 22, 2012
I put my thermostat on 75 and it keeps me cool along with ceiling fans on low. Yesterday I played golf early and finished by 11 a.m. and I didn't find it uncomfortable. But I wouldn't think about playing later than that. So yes it's hot but manageable. I feel for the ones who have jobs that keep them outside all day.

Pilgrimdawg

Aug 30, 2018
Been on the tractor working on my food plots for the last 4 days. Just a good old fashioned Southern Summer. When we were growing up there was apparently no such thing as a heat index. Never heard of it until after I was grown. We are smarter about things like this now days but at some point you just have to suck it up and get stuff done. Stay hydrated. Short term it is dangerous to push it too hard in the heat but long term just sitting on your rear end in the air conditioning is a certain killer.

Dawgbite

Nov 1, 2011
Hey thanks I passed it along to a lot of friends and relatives back in North Mississippi.

Come over here South central Texas if you want to really be hot.
The Simpsons Summer GIF
I drove all over the eastern half of Texas for 8 straight days week before last. It was over 100 every day but one. I’d honestly take that over 94 in Ms with the humidity. But I was honestly shocked at how dry and dead everything was. There was a line somewhere in east Texas that one side of the line was lush and green, the other side of the line was dead and brown.

Reactions: IBleedMaroonDawg

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
This "dangerous heat" thing is really overboard in my opinion. I was out in it all day yesterday. It's mostly about the condition of our population. It's all about what you are use to. If you lay up under the air conditioner 24/7 you probly can't take the heat. 2 generations ago our ancestors were in it all day and came home to no air conditioning. Now all the schools and hospitals and homes are 65 or 70 degrees.
100% agree. It's ridiculous. Is it super fun to do anything outside at the moment? No. But it's not some unbearable deal or anything.

Yesterday I went to lunch with 3 other grown men. They were acting like they were dying in the truck for 45 seconds before the AC kicked in. Unbelievable. And I know parents that say their kid "isn't a hot weather child" as if you're levitating above the rest of us and don't have to sweat from time to time.

dorndawg

Sep 10, 2012
1691072050075.png

eckie1

Jun 23, 2007
I drove all over the eastern half of Texas for 8 straight days week before last. It was over 100 every day but one. I’d honestly take that over 94 in Ms with the humidity. But I was honestly shocked at how dry and dead everything was. There was a line somewhere in east Texas that one side of the line was lush and green, the other side of the line was dead and brown.
I completely concur about 94 in MS being hotter than most anywhere due to humidity. Here in DFW, we had an exceptionally wet spring and when it started turning 100+ every day, it was hell on earth. We haven’t had any rain all summer, so now there’s not much of a heat index. But legit 107-110 sucks really, really bad on its own.

This summer has been exceptionally brutal. I have the average suburban DFW yard…. But I’ve had to take breaks and jump in the pool while mowing this year. Even with a rear wheel drive mower that all but drags me along, I get the feeling some bad **** will happen if I don’t cool off. Never had to do that before…

Local radio said we were in for an El Niño this summer. When I heard that, I swear it moved. But, no rain. You can’t predict the weather.

57stratdawg

Mar 24, 2010
I think we’ll start seeing East Texas resembling West Texas in the coming years.

Dallas’ high for the next few days is in the 105 - 110 range. Plus, the low temperature is in the mid 80’s. That’s a lot of body blows for regular plant life.

The Cooterpoot

Sep 29, 2022
I cut grass and refinished some furniture this morning. It's hot as satans ahole! But it's a dry heat.

Reactions: eckie1

IBleedMaroonDawg

Nov 12, 2007
I live in the dead and brown but people keep moving here. I don't know where we're going to get our water from if this keeps up. The Aquifer is running really low since we have been in drought conditions for a majority of the past 10-15 years but the population here keeps growing.

Reactions: eckie1

horshack.sixpack

Oct 30, 2012
Been on the tractor working on my food plots for the last 4 days. Just a good old fashioned Southern Summer. When we were growing up there was apparently no such thing as a heat index. Never heard of it until after I was grown. We are smarter about things like this now days but at some point you just have to suck it up and get stuff done. Stay hydrated. Short term it is dangerous to push it too hard in the heat but long term just sitting on your rear end in the air conditioning is a certain killer.
One of the funniest takes every was from Lewis Grizzard on one of his rants about the weather man and the"color weather radar" was "...relative humidity. What's that? How much you sweat when you are makin' love to your cousin?"

Pilgrimdawg

Aug 30, 2018
When the weather gets like this you know 2 a days and football can’t be far behind. Perfect football weather******

DesotoCountyDawg

Nov 16, 2005
I live in the dead and brown but people keep moving here. I don't know where we're going to get our water from if this keeps up. The Aquifer is running really low since we have been in drought conditions for a majority of the past 10-15 years but the population here keeps growing.

I would love to find an updated version of this but I think you can get the picture from looking at this. It’s the aggregate drought map for the US from 1899 to 2012 Drought and just about everything else weather related is a cycle.

And yeah it’s been very warm globally this past year but there’s also some science behind that significant short term warm trend.
Scientists now believe that the Hunga Tonga underwater volcano that erupted in 2022 put at least 40 trillion gallons of water vapor into the atmosphere. That much water vapor creates a very significant warming trend and has more than likely attributed to the warm summer across the globe in many areas. Water vapor has a warming effect as opposed to a land volcano spewing sulfur dioxide which can cause a cooling trend (ie Mt Pinatubo).

IMG_0215.jpeg

Reactions: Leeshouldveflanked

The Peeper

Feb 26, 2008
What global warming, 72' in Starkvegas right now w/ a "real feel" also 72'?

That guarantees it will be hotter than Satans ball sack in a hot tub on Sept 2 @ 3:00

horshack.sixpack

Oct 30, 2012
I would love to find an updated version of this but I think you can get the picture from looking at this. It’s the aggregate drought map for the US from 1899 to 2012 Drought and just about everything else weather related is a cycle.

And yeah it’s been very warm globally this past year but there’s also some science behind that significant short term warm trend.
Scientists now believe that the Hunga Tonga underwater volcano that erupted in 2022 put at least 40 trillion gallons of water vapor into the atmosphere. That much water vapor creates a very significant warming trend and has more than likely attributed to the warm summer across the globe in many areas. Water vapor has a warming effect as opposed to a land volcano spewing sulfur dioxide which can cause a cooling trend (ie Mt Pinatubo).

View attachment 378133
Somebody needs to go relight mt st helens

RocketDawg1

Jul 8, 2023
Strange how the hot weather pattern essentially stopped before it got here. Our July, while hot, was actually 0.5 degrees F "cooler" than normal. If I recall correctly, there was only one day when the heat index exceeded 105. Excessive heat warnings were forecast for a while but never materialized.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login