Daniel Hill

GloryDawg

Mar 3, 2005
He could inter the portal if he wants. He would be crazy too. Worse case for him is he could possibly use his one and only free transfer and walk away from a NIL deal.

Willow Grove Dawg

Nov 3, 2016
He would probably be released from his National Letter of Intent because of the coaching & could sign elsewhere.

Rupert Jenkins

Nov 29, 2017
I just read Steve saying that there is a new rule from the NCAA that allows a player to file for release from an NLI in just such a situation. Google said you could not. It also states that if the player is an enrolled student he is bound to his NLI. I suppose transfer portal applies to a player that has been enrolled since the 10th ?? That is their stated enrollment day. Going in the portal 2 days after enrolling would probly set a record...lol. Obviously it would be a heck of a gift if we could get him.

MStateU

Nov 15, 2009
I just read Steve saying that there is a new rule from the NCAA that allows a player to file for release from an NLI in just such a situation. Google said you could not. It also states that if the player is an enrolled student he is bound to his NLI. I suppose transfer portal applies to a player that has been enrolled since the 10th ?? That is their stated enrollment day. Going in the portal 2 days after enrolling would probly set a record...lol. Obviously it would be a heck of a gift if we could get him.
So what I’m seeing in reading the data you presented is that Saban waited until these players officially enrolled on the morning of the 10th and then retired at COB on that same day? Man that’s slimy if that’s how it played out.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
So what I’m seeing in reading the data you presented is that Saban waited until these players officially enrolled on the morning of the 10th and then retired at COB on that same day? Man that’s slimy if that’s how it played out.
In his defense, there's no good time to retire in this new era. The calendar never ends. Just have to do it.

Trojanbulldog19

Aug 25, 2014
I think they worked to change it because it's not fair for a player to sign and then two days later his coach resigns, dues, retires or whatever. That's not who he's signed to play for so I could see them making that just like any other transfer releasing them of the nli

Trojanbulldog19

Aug 25, 2014
In his defense, there's no good time to retire in this new era. The calendar never ends. Just have to do it.
End of regular season just announce. Players will be inspired and they can name heir to take over after last game and that guy can be recruiting unofficially before hand

99jc

Jul 31, 2008
Don't know if it is true but rumors going around Saban's wife is sick.

Rupert Jenkins

Nov 29, 2017
For sure the portal is open and that should apply to current year signees just the same. If he wants out it sounds like he can get out

DAWGSANDSAINTS

Oct 10, 2022
Hill and others are the reasons Bama announces their new coach before the weekend is over.

Coast_Dawg

Nov 16, 2020
http://www.nationalletter.org/nliProvisions/index.html

According to their, they must be released from their NLI unless they’ve practiced or enrolled in school.

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022
End of regular season just announce. Players will be inspired and they can name heir to take over after last game and that guy can be recruiting unofficially before hand
Well first off….not nearly that simple in this case. Bama was a playoff contender, and all their potential targets would be coaches of other playoff contenders. They wouldn’t be able to get anyone until after the championship game regardless.

Also, if you watched his interview with Rece Davis, you’d know that he didn’t even know if he was going to go through with it 5 minutes before he told the team. He was still interviewing people for positions on the staff 1 hour before he told the team. He was very conflicted about it….as one would imagine. There was no premeditation to trap players.

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022
For sure the portal is open and that should apply to current year signees just the same. If he wants out it sounds like he can get out
It is applied to the current year. Signees who arrived in January can just dip out in April or whenever it is. They lose zero eligibility.

Reactions: JohnBGeologist
Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login