Dartmouth men's hoops team votes to unionize

onewoof

Mar 4, 2008
Dartmouth men's hoops team votes to unionize

Bulldog Bruce

Nov 1, 2007
Interesting. Who is the employer? Is it each individual school, or conference, or NCAA? Who do they negotiate with for collective bargaining? Is it going to be one union or multiple unions because of differing issues for each group of players?

For example the NFLPA, NBAPA and MLBPA are totally different groups and couldn't possibly negotiate as one group.

Last edited:

jethreauxdawg

Dec 20, 2010
Interesting. Who is the employer? Is it each individual school, or conference, or NCAA? Who do they negotiate with for collective bargaining? Is it going to be one union or multiple unions because of differing issues for each group of players?

For example the NFLPA, NBAPA and MLBPA are totally different groups and couldn't possibly negotiate as one group.
Dang Bruce, your logical questions are really killing the vibe.
I wonder if Dartmouth basketball loses money, do the players get a paycheck?

Villagedawg

Nov 16, 2005

According to the article, they are employees of the school and joined local service workers union.

Seinfeld

Nov 30, 2006
On one hand, I don’t see this working out anywhere close to the way that the Dartmouth players are hoping, but I’m also glad this is happening so that we can finally catch of glimpse of how this is going to play out.

If I had to guess, they’ll spend months in court trying to let a judge figure out answers to all the questions that Bruce raised. Then, there will be some sort of collective bargaining session between the two parties. During that session, the employer will bargain that the unionized workers can either accept payment that is the equivalent to what they’re already receiving or else the school can shut down its men’s basketball program

Reactions: patdog

Bulldog Bruce

Nov 1, 2007
On one hand, I don’t see this working out anywhere close to the way that the Dartmouth players are hoping, but I’m also glad this is happening so that we can finally catch of glimpse of how this is going to play out.

If I had to guess, they’ll spend months in court trying to let a judge figure out answers to all the questions that Bruce raised. Then, there will be some sort of collective bargaining session between the two parties. During that session, the employer will bargain that the unionized workers can either accept payment that is the equivalent to what they’re already receiving or else the school can shut down its men’s basketball program
This is most likely what happens. A "company" has to be making money for them to even consider negotiating with a work force. I don't think Dartmouth Basketball is a large money making entity.

The other part in this particular instance, if they do earn some money due to a march madness share I am pretty sure that money is used to give the other student-athletes in the non-revenue sports opportunities. So those will probably have to go away if they discontinue Basketball.

If you want this to work as a union organizer you need to get all the SEC and Big 10 football players to vote for union representation.

dorndawg

Sep 10, 2012

These are all good questions, and I'm sure there's plenty more. Luckily, nobody gives a solitary 17 about Dartmouth basketball, so it's convenient to have a test sample to see what works & what doesn't.

I'm generally pro-union, it's gotta make sense for everyone involved though.

57stratdawg

Mar 24, 2010
Student athletes are going to end up being employees of universities. It’s hard to imagine some other structure surviving in court.

Reactions: patdog and onewoof

onewoof

Mar 4, 2008
Student athletes are going to end up being employees of universities. It’s hard to imagine some other structure surviving in court.
the are brand ambassadors and football generates millions of brand value in the SEC. Looking at you Georgia and Bama....

Hugh's Burner Phone

Aug 3, 2017

• Haha

Seinfeld

Nov 30, 2006
This is most likely what happens. A "company" has to be making money for them to even consider negotiating with a work force. I don't think Dartmouth Basketball is a large money making entity.

The other part in this particular instance, if they do earn some money due to a march madness share I am pretty sure that money is used to give the other student-athletes in the non-revenue sports opportunities. So those will probably have to go away if they discontinue Basketball.

If you want this to work as a union organizer you need to get all the SEC and Big 10 football players to vote for union representation.
Right, and this is also where people tend to learn that there's a big difference between bringing in revenue and turning a profit. It's going to get complicated with Dartmouth being a private school and the way that essentially every school in the country treats its teams as departments that take part in revenue/expense sharing with all other sports within the AD. Not to mention the fact that I'm sure that Dartmouth has a multi-billion dollar endowment. However, I just don't see any way that a private school team that is losing most games and that is most likely bringing in virtually nothing for the AD as a whole is going to bargain their way to lucrative new deals. I think they're going to be asked if they want to have a men's team or not, and the bargaining will be a short discussion

Reactions: peewee.sixpack

Choctaw Dawg

May 21, 2017
They also only receive academic scholarships and not athletic scholarships at an ivy league school. I guess it makes more sense from the ivy league standpoint.

Reactions: onewoof

Dawgbite

Nov 1, 2011
For me college sports is on its deathbed. In three years I’ve gone from club level season ticket holder in multiple sports for 20 plus years to not even joining the BDC. Yeah I know I’m the problem but I’m not giving my hard earned money to support near dead system that has no hope. I’ll be a State fan until the day I die, I’ll go to an occasional game for the entertainment value, but I don’t think I’ll ever be financially invested again.

patdog

May 28, 2007
For me college sports is on its deathbed. In three years I’ve gone from club level season ticket holder in multiple sports for 20 plus years to not even joining the BDC. Yeah I know I’m the problem but I’m not giving my hard earned money to support near dead system that has no hope. I’ll be a State fan until the day I die, I’ll go to an occasional game for the entertainment value, but I don’t think I’ll ever be financially invested again.
I switched my donations from BDC to Bulldog Initiative. At least they’ll do a little good there.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login