Dave Doeren

Ballyhoo77

Aug 13, 2021
wants this job badly. Thoughts?
Raleigh, NC buddy of mine says DD is worried about future of ACC

leeinator

Feb 24, 2014
If this were 15 years ago I’d be totally down with it. But we’d never be more than a mid tier bowl team with him. That’s all he’s ever been at NC State.

If this were 15 years ago I’d be totally down with it. But we’d never be more than a mid tier bowl team with him. That’s all he’s ever been at NC State.
We've never been more than a mid tier bowl with anybody. No matter who coaches us, MSU will live in the "Group of 6 Bowls" pretty much forever. The Orange Bowl with Dak was a rare exception.....maybe once every 10-15 years we do that.

patdog

May 28, 2007
Interesting. We could do a lot worse. Would be a high floor - low ceiling guy. Probably 6-8 wins most years, which is actually pretty good for us.

Darryl Steight

Sep 30, 2022
We've never been more than a mid tier bowl with anybody. No matter who coaches us, MSU will live in the "Group of 6 Bowls" pretty much forever. The Orange Bowl with Dak was a rare exception.....maybe once every 10-15 years we do that.
You're not wrong, but I would have to agree with his sentiment, which is let's shoot for something better than that.

patdog

May 28, 2007
You're not wrong, but I would have to agree with his sentiment, which is let's shoot for something better than that.
The odds of ever doing much better than we've done the last 15 years are extremely long. And the risk of falling into obscurity is fairly high right now. The new coach won't be inheriting a good roster of talented players like Moorhead and Leach did. What we need right now is a high floor coach who's going to at a minimum keep us in the lower tier bowl games pretty much every year and build from there.

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022
Interesting. We could do a lot worse. Would be a high floor - low ceiling guy. Probably 6-8 wins most years, which is actually pretty good for us.
He’s an off the wall candidate, but I don’t hate it at all.

8 or more regular season wins in 6 of the last 7 years. Two 9-win regular seasons in that stretch, with a chance at 9 wins this year, too. Took a little while to get rolling but has been pretty consistent. Considering that we’re in this new universe where we don’t play Bama and LSU every year any more, I could certainly see him getting us back in that Leach / Mullen level of program stability. And he’s only 51, too. His OC hire would be important.

was21

May 29, 2007
And 6-8 wins probably will be looking better down the road with conference expansion, NIL and TP stuff, not to sound negative.

Maroon13

Sep 29, 2022
Regardless, like the guy or not.......this is good news. We seem to be having a great response to our HC job. I am feeling good about whomever it may be.

Reactions: Tripp McNeely

patdog

May 28, 2007
Regardless, like the guy or not.......this is good news. We seem to be having a great response to our HC job. I am feeling good about whomever it may be.
Contrary to what a lot of people would have us believe, head football coach at Mississippi State is a damn good job to have. We will always have a lot of interest when we have an opening.

Reactions: Dawg84 and jwtorch

BoDawg.sixpack

Feb 5, 2010
DD is 43-46 lifetime in the weak ACC. I'll pass but don't hate that he's interested. If we're going that route I'd rather hire Mellon.

BoDawg.sixpack

Feb 5, 2010
Contrary to what a lot of people would have us believe, head football coach at Mississippi State is a damn good job to have. We will always have a lot of interest when we have an opening.
Well don't show them next year's SEC schedule. Holy smokes that's a tough slog.

Simmer

Jun 21, 2013
DD is 43-46 lifetime in the weak ACC. I'll pass but don't hate that he's interested. If we're going that route I'd rather hire Mellon.
He beat Clemson and Miami this year and wants to get paid is how I'm seeing it.

Rupert Jenkins

Nov 29, 2017
I bet we could find a cheaper coach either a losing record. Why the 17 would we hire a guy that doesn't have a winning record ? FFS we could lose with Arnept at 3 mill a year. Why would anyone think he would win here when he can't win in the ACC ??? I want the job too. I will do it for 750,000 a year if we wanna lose. Or yall can pay me 5 million and I will buy my own players

Reactions: MonkDawg

dickiedawg

Feb 22, 2008
I bet we could find a cheaper coach either a losing record. Why the 17 would we hire a guy that doesn't have a winning record ? FFS we could lose with Arnept at 3 mill a year. Why would anyone think he would win here when he can't win in the ACC ??? I want the job too. I will do it for 750,000 a year if we wanna lose. Or yall can pay me 5 million and I will buy my own players
He IS winning in the ACC. His first four years at NC State he was 9-23 in conference (25-26 overall). In his last 7 years he’s 34-23 in conference (55-31 overall).

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022
Dave never won his conference or took a team to national championship. He would be less that Dan Mullen was here
Come on man. Everyone knows what that 2013 Auburn team was. They were an 8-4 team that had a horseshoe up its asś….which was 100% proven the following year when all the same players went 8-4 for real without all the historically lucky bounces.

You can’t credit Gus for UGA turning a gift INT to seal the game into a game winning Auburn TD….on a turd of a throw into double coverage, no less. You can’t credit Gus for a 109 yard FIELD GOAL return for a TD, or for Bama missing 2 chip shot FG’s that would have sealed the Iron Bowl. You can’t credit Gus for Nick Marshall completing a 40 yard pass to HIMSELF on a perfectly defended play in the MSU game which led to a score that kept them in the game, and them needing a last second TD to beat a 6-6 MSU team at home.

Gus isn’t the worst coach in the world. I don’t want him, but I’d also concede he wouldn’t be 100% destined to fail if we hired him. However, not even Auburn fans acknowledge that 2013 team as being some great coaching job. They know they were luckier than a dog with 2 dicks in both the bounces they got in the regular season AND from drawing a weak as 17 opponent in Atlanta.

Last edited:

Trojanbulldog19

Aug 25, 2014
Come on man. Everyone knows what that 2013 Auburn team was. They were an 8-4 team that had a horseshoe up its asś….which was 100% proven the following year when all the same players went 8-4 for real without all the historically lucky bounces.

You can’t credit Gus for UGA turning a gift INT to seal the game into a game winning Auburn TD….on a turd of a throw into double coverage, no less. You can’t credit Gus for a 109 yard FIELD GOAL return for a TD, or for Bama missing 2 chip shot FG’s that would have sealed the Iron Bowl. You can’t credit Gus for Nick Marshall completing a 40 yard pass to HIMSELF on a perfectly defended play in the MSU game which led to a score that kept them in the game, and them needing a last second TD to beat a 6-6 MSU team at home.
Good things happen when you have talented players on the field. Our players would just watch the ball drop on the field. Or watch the kick hit the ground and roll into the field. You think someone didn't tell that player to get on the goal line? You think they don't practice tip drills? Yeah some luck is involved in football but it's also about being coached to be in the right place at the right time and to have gifted athletes to execute it.

blitz2Win

Sep 2, 2023
Let’s not get carried away, Arnett and this staff would likely go 3-9/4-8 for the next ten years.

Rupert Jenkins

Nov 29, 2017
He IS winning in the ACC. His first four years at NC State he was 9-23 in conference (25-26 overall). In his last 7 years he’s 34-23 in conference (55-31 overall).
Averaging 8 and 4 at best in the ACC. How do you think that translates into the SEC? I'm not a fan. We can do better.

FlotownDawg

Aug 30, 2012
Dave Doeren did give one of the best postgame interviews of the season after beating Clemson. For context, Steve Smith was the guest picker on College Gameday and he predicted Clemson to win because “this isn’t basketball.” This was Doeren’s response.

Last edited:

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022
Averaging 8 and 4 at best in the ACC. How do you think that translates into the SEC?
Depends. In the current SEC East? Probably also translates to 8-4. Current SEC West? Probably 7-5. In the future non-division SEC….would depend on who their permanents were and so forth, but lets say 7-5 there, too, but it probably fluctuates between 6-6 and 8-4 depending on the draw each year.

FYI, MSU’s average has been a 6.7 - 5.3 in the regular season since Dak graduated….excluding the weird 2020 year. Its funny that people view a 7-8 win average as bad, and disparage an 8-4 average regular season like that wouldn’t somehow be acceptable at MSU. Newsflash….8-4 in the regular season average or below average year. When we don’t have an NFL QB, it’s the mother17ing ceiling.

I'm not a fan. We can do better.

Typical human nature mentality, I suppose. The young and unproven / unknown G5 head coach or P5 coordinator is always the preferred option….the one with seemingly limitless possibilities simply because they haven’t been yet exposed to a high risk of failure. Nobody wants the proven solid, but not spectacular P5 guy….too boring. The anti-Leach crowd was the same way.

S&P 500 index fund for investment? No….too boring! Bitcoin / ethereum / etc…..the new hot thing….no telling how high it goes! Gotta have more of that.

Grab some Chick Fil A on the way home for dinner? No, too boring! Takeout from that new ramen place that just opened in the formerly shítty neighborhood that’s being revitalized, but we still might get shot or robbed in the parking lot? Let’s get that instead!

It’s all the same mentality.

Reactions: FlotownDawg

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022
Good things happen when you have talented players on the field. Our players would just watch the ball drop on the field. Or watch the kick hit the ground and roll into the field. You think someone didn't tell that player to get on the goal line? You think they don't practice tip drills? Yeah some luck is involved in football but it's also about being coached to be in the right place at the right time and to have gifted athletes to execute it.
Hahaha, well if that’s your perspective, then why stop at Malzahn? Go big and get Chizik!

He didn’t just win the SEC and make the title game, he won a natty. And it was all because of those innovative practice drills he designed where he taught the QB how to truck over 3 defenders on every play, and those drills where he taught his defenders how to force fumbles in such a way that the ball would roll however far down the field it needed to go before it would go out the back of the end zone and be a touchback….thus creating a turnover even if his team didn’t even recover the fumble. Just a great coach putting great athletes in position to make great plays.

Rupert Jenkins

Nov 29, 2017
Yeah. I guess you are right. Let's be happy with 7/5 and 8/4. Why try to improve. I guess you settle for mediocrity in your daily life ? Just marry the fat girl. She probly won't cheat on ya.

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022
Yeah. I guess you are right. Let's be happy with 7/5 and 8/4. Why try to improve. I guess you settle for mediocrity in your daily life ? Just marry the fat girl. She probly won't cheat on ya.
Because 7-5 / 8-4 records on average WOULD be improving. That’s the point you’re missing.

We’re gonna be at either 5-7 or 6-6 this year. Since the greatest player in school history (in any sport) graduated, we average 6.7 wins per normal 12 game regular season. Throw the COVID year in there, its even worse. You and others think we are something that we’re not. Anyone who comes here and averages 7 wins per year in the regular season, and does it for 10+ years would be the greatest coach in school history. Mullen only averaged 7.1 per year for 9 years, in spite of only having a P5 opponent on the schedule twice in 9 years. And we have been in decline from that very mediocre level in all but 2 seasons (2021-2022) since he left.

GloryDawg

Mar 3, 2005
He would probably be looking to end his career here not looking to jump ship every year. JWS and Leach were perfect for State. This guy would be that kind of hire. I think his recruiting talent pool will be greater here. Give me 6 to 8 wins every year with a 10 win season every four years or so. I think 10 wins being in the SEC will get you into the playoff.

Reactions: patdog

Rupert Jenkins

Nov 29, 2017
We didn't fire a coach with the hopes of improving our record by 1 or 2 wins. I'm well aware of our record and what it has been. An athletic department doesn't strive to be average

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login