Davis Wade south end zone...

Xenomorph

Feb 15, 2007
What's the best solution? The Seal Building has served its purpose but it's time to move on. While we don't need 10K more seats, it looks very CUSA down in the south end zone.

What are your ideas?

aTotal360

Nov 12, 2009
Not a fan of Big Gay Al's Big Gay Boat Ride?
South Park S01E04 - Stan Goes On Big Gay Al's Boat Ride Scene #southpark  #funny #cartoon #lol - YouTube

• Haha
Reactions: The Maroon Pug

Dawgbite

Nov 1, 2011
There are a lot of stadiums that aren’t bowls. It’s like it’s a status symbol to some people. Put chairbacks in the entire stadium, or at least the lower levels, creat more premium areas. Spend the money to improve the game day atmosphere which is severely lacking lately and then if the demand is there look at a real cost vs return in bowling in the stadium We need to invest in winning more so than some visual aspects for TV.

Reactions: The Fatboy

8dog

Feb 23, 2008
What's the best solution? The Seal Building has served its purpose but it's time to move on. While we don't need 10K more seats, it looks very CUSA down in the south end zone.

What are your ideas?
A new alumni house with premium areas that allow field view. Indoor/outdoor bar at the bottom that can service tailgaters on game day. Also make it the go to wedding venue to bring more business to town in the summers.
No more gen pop. Go big.

Pilgrimdawg

Aug 30, 2018
Yes, either do it right or don’t do it at all. No more half a$$ rinkey dink band aids to just get by. Our current south end zone is a Vanderbilt level embarrassment.

Maroon13

Sep 29, 2022
Speaking of Vandy. They are renovating both endzone of their stadium. The south endzone looks like it will have premium seating. The north endzone looks like they are building a basketball building and adding some seats off the outside of the building for football.

Plus upgrades to the football practice facilities and a few other sports. $300 million.

Last edited:

Maroon13

Sep 29, 2022
State doesn't need to add anything to the south endzone until the following occurres....

Total demo of the west side. Rebuild it to a much more modern structure. (See Oregon St) Chairback east side bleachers.

Reactions: CDawg08

Xenomorph

Feb 15, 2007
Bowl it in, include premium seating and entertainment areas, and chair back the whole stadium to take the total seat count back down to around 60,000
I like this idea and it would make me much more likely to attend a game if I wasn’t sitting on a bench for 4 hours.

I don’t know much about the necessary rise and run needed for chairbacks. Is there room to retrofit the entire stadium if we rip out the bleachers?

Maroon13

Sep 29, 2022
I don’t know much about the necessary rise and run needed for chairbacks. Is there room to retrofit the entire stadium if we rip out the bleachers?

Yeah, I think this is another Eckie's pond legend. Maybe the rise and run isn't ideal, However I think you could fit in some type of chairback with the existing structure. Those black temp chairbacks fit....kinda.

regardless, that west side needs to be completely rebuilt anyways. Chairbacks are just one more reason.

dorndawg

Sep 10, 2012
Bowl it in, include premium seating and entertainment areas, and chair back the whole stadium to take the total seat count back down to around 60,000
We'd need to raise like a billion bucks to do this, with what construction costs in Starkville run.

• Haha
Reactions: rankindog86

maroonfriday

Jun 4, 2020
They are already in the process of moving the press box to the M-Club to go with the addition of the west side club seats.
2211-2.jpg2211.jpg

L4Dawg

Oct 27, 2016
I don't think you are going to see anything much for the next few years. THE thing that is needed the worst is to update the east side under the stands to match the rest of the stadium.

I don't get the fascination with bowls and endzone seats.

Reactions: CDawg08

92Alum

Oct 29, 2013
If we just got rid of the mobile home looking tents/cabanas in front of the M-club I would be happy. They are pathetic.

rankindog86

Aug 22, 2012
Wish they would mirror the East side and put an actual press box atop the addition.
They have already got plans for the 200 level West Side renovation, that's going to happen at end of this coming season. They are moving the press to M-Club building somehow and adding massive premium areas to the West Side.

MStateDawg

Aug 3, 2021
Probably would be the only stadium in the country with a press box in the end zone. The announcers won't be able to see a thing.
Auburn moved their press box to the endzone several years ago. Expect other schools to do the same in order to free up very valuable real estate for season ticket purchasers.

These endzone press boxes are for print media members, not play by play announcers. There's no reason they need the best seats in the stadium.

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022
They have already got plans for the 200 level West Side renovation, that's going to happen at end of this coming season. They are moving the press to M-Club building somehow and adding massive premium areas to the West Side.

This is hilarious to me. Gonna see Dave Neal sitting there with a big *** goal post in the background when they do the pre-game feed from the press box.

grandprairiedog

Apr 26, 2021
I don't think you are going to see anything much for the next few years. THE thing that is needed the worst is to update the east side under the stands to match the rest of the stadium.

I don't get the fascination with bowls and endzone seats.
If you value what the stadium look like, (SEC level), then what's underneath isn't as important as what appears on TV and in public view, because that's more impressionable.

Reactions: Maroon13

cristilmethod

Aug 24, 2012
Even with moving the press box to the south endzone, they still need to do away with the Dawgstudent Decks (trademark pending) and put in some permanent seating to bowl that end in. maybe with some sort of viewing platform at the top or general locations for standing and viewing.

I am also of the opinion that both upper decks are fair game for complete overhauls; why not convert 50-75% of those to premium areas? Do we expect we'll ever sell out those spaces again? It's important not to do away with general admission completely, but maybe rethink how and where those are offered. Regardless of the old gal's age, I think there are opportunities to improve the stadium and make it a great experience if they do this right.

Drebin

Aug 22, 2012
Yeah, I think this is another Eckie's pond legend. Maybe the rise and run isn't ideal, However I think you could fit in some type of chairback with the existing structure. Those black temp chairbacks fit....kinda.

regardless, that west side needs to be completely rebuilt anyways. Chairbacks are just one more reason.
Those black temp chairbacks are far and away the worst idea this athletic department has ever had. And yes, I recognize the significance of that statement, but I'm only partially kidding.

Reactions: aTotal360

The Peeper

Feb 26, 2008
Probably would be the only stadium in the country with a press box in the end zone. The announcers won't be able to see a thing.
Just like anyone else that sits in the end zone seats or clubs. End zone views are awful

RocketDawg

Oct 21, 2011
Auburn moved their press box to the endzone several years ago. Expect other schools to do the same in order to free up very valuable real estate for season ticket purchasers.

These endzone press boxes are for print media members, not play by play announcers. There's no reason they need the best seats in the stadium.

OK, that's not so bad then. I read "moving the press box to the end zone" as being everybody, including announcers, since that's where they sit now.

Duke Humphrey

Oct 3, 2013
OK, that's not so bad then. I read "moving the press box to the end zone" as being everybody, including announcers, since that's where they sit now.
Coaches, PA, TV and Radio will remain on the sideline..... And every NFL stadium built in the last 10-15 years the press box is in the corner of the endzone.

L4Dawg

Oct 27, 2016
If you value what the stadium look like, (SEC level), then what's underneath isn't as important as what appears on TV and in public view, because that's more impressionable.
If you value the fan experience at the game then what's under the stands is as important as anything else. Your view results in Ole Miss' stadium. That place is awful.

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006

Press boxes???

All a writer needs is a legal pad with paper, a working pen, and just be on the sidelines recording stats and making notes…

Lisa Simpson Episode 25 GIF by The Simpsons

HailStout

Jan 4, 2020
If you value the fan experience at the game then what's under the stands is as important as anything else. Your view results in Ole Miss' stadium. That place is awful.
Except what you see on TV of their place looks like shiite as well

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022

Where will the announcers be? Do they get their own mini sky box just for them? Or will they get some detached cubicle rigging that’s out of the way of premium sight lines?

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login