Dawn Staley addresses national anthem issue

18IsTheMan

Jan 19, 2022

Spinal Tap

Jan 22, 2022
After reading the article I'm left with: Nothing to see here. Move along.

The hit piece (my words) Dawn was referencing was printed without any contact with Dawn and had been factually incorrect. That led to more confusion, including
our fan base. She's given her response now and I'm satisfied. It's more of an indictment on lazy journalism than on Dawn and the team.

Congrats to the team and their coach.

atl-cock

Jan 18, 2022
Why is this an issue now? In a previous thread, I mentioned attending a USC-Holy Cross MBB game at the Coliseum in Feb 1983. I clearly noted that the Crusader team was on the court during the playing of the National Anthem, and the Gamecocks were not.

Last edited:

18IsTheMan

Jan 19, 2022
Why is this an issue now? I a previous thread, I mentioned attending a USC-Holy Cross MBB game at the Coliseum in Feb 1983. I clearly noted that the Crusader team was on the court during the playing of the National Anthem, and the Gamecocks were not.

Just got picked up and reported by a national outlet I guess.

Here's my only question. Dawn says the only reason they weren't on the court during some tournament games is b/c of timing, i.e. they played the anthem too early while they were still doing some of the pre-game ritual stuff. For the title game, it was played just before the start of the game, so they were on the court. For our home games, could they not just adjust the time when the anthem is played so both teams can be on the court?

Lurker123

Jan 18, 2022

Here's my only question. Dawn says the only reason they weren't on the court during some tournament games is b/c of timing, i.e. they played the anthem too early while they were still doing some of the pre-game ritual stuff. For the title game, it was played just before the start of the game, so they were on the court. For our home games, could they not just adjust the time when the anthem is played so both teams can be on the court?

It would seem that would be a very simple solution.

Tngamecock

Jan 22, 2022
Another poster asked this question and it got me to thinking….I had season football tix for 30 years and can’t answer this question. What does the football team do before games? More I think about it it seems the football team comes out to 2001 after the national anthem is played. Help me here cause my mind is going.

18IsTheMan

Jan 19, 2022
Another poster asked this question and it got me to thinking….I had season football tix for 30 years and can’t answer this question. What does the football team do before games? More I think about it it seems the football team comes out to 2001 after the national anthem is played. Help me here cause my mind is going.
I guess the question for me is did the ladies team used to come out and stand for the national anthem and do we not any longer?

ConwayGamecock

Jan 20, 2022
I guess the question for me is did the ladies team used to come out and stand for the national anthem and do we not any longer?

And why - if the above is "the question for me", is the question regarding South Carolina football NOT the question for you, since it would be a far bigger question? We've been playing football at South Carolina for far longer than we've been playing women's basketball.......

atl-cock

Jan 18, 2022
And why - if the above is "the question for me", is the question regarding South Carolina football NOT the question for you, since it would be a far bigger question? We've been playing football at South Carolina for far longer than we've been playing women's basketball.......
Why would football be a far bigger question? What about tennis? Men's basketball? Swim/diving? It should apply to all sports or no sports.

How many of us really pay attention as to who is where when (if?) the National Anthem is played?

ConwayGamecock

Jan 20, 2022
Why would football be a far bigger question? What about tennis? Men's basketball? Swim/diving? It should apply to all sports or no sports.

How many of us really pay attention as to who is where when (if?) the National Anthem is played?

Based on this site, and the site this site USED to be over on the other site, FOOTBALL is heads and shoulders above all other college sports. In popularity, in economic relevance, in national standing. Also based on this site when it was over "there", no effort was spared by a substantial % of the posting base in telling everyone else that WBB at South Carolina was irrelevant.

So why would the question of does the WBB team come out and stand for the National Anthem, be a bigger question than the question of, does the FB team come out and stand for the National Anthem? Or, has it EVER come out and stood for it, post 9/11 notwithstanding??

ConwayGamecock

Jan 20, 2022
I don't think that answered his question.

The only way that did NOT answer his question would require total ignorance of the history of the South Carolina women's basketball program, but you keep on doing you......

Question: "did the ladies team used to come out and stand for the national anthem?"

Answer: "they just did it mere hours ago"

QUESTION ANSWERED: YES

Question: "and do we not any longer?"

was there any OTHER questions asked?

Jan 21, 2022
Just like any other college football, men's and women's basketball teams, they pretty much stay in the locker room...

Just the game against Louisville, they stayed in the locker room, instead of coming out for the national anthem...

ToddFlanders

Jan 20, 2022
Pregame ceremony is for the fans, not the teams playing. Same with halftime. It’s part of the “fan experience,” not players experience.

Unfortunately we now have the anthem gestapo that will watch the behavior of every player as a song is played to determine who is, and isn’t, a “good American.”

Every coach should consider keeping their players out of the sight, and judgment, of those people.

Cocky99

Jan 27, 2022
So the National Anthem is not played before UofSC women’s home basketball games. Why? And the team doesn’t participate in the National Anthem at away games because they conduct a pre-game ritual in the locker room? Interesting……

Last edited:

18IsTheMan

Jan 19, 2022
The only way that did NOT answer his question would require total ignorance of the history of the South Carolina women's basketball program, but you keep on doing you......

Question: "did the ladies team used to come out and stand for the national anthem?"

Question: "and do we not any longer?"

was there any OTHER questions asked?
Yes, the question I asked has not been answered. But you are correct, it’s women’s basketball so it’s not a big deal. Moving on.

Last edited:

atl-cock

Jan 18, 2022
Based on this site, and the site this site USED to be over on the other site, FOOTBALL is heads and shoulders above all other college sports. In popularity, in economic relevance, in national standing. Also based on this site when it was over "there", no effort was spared by a substantial % of the posting base in telling everyone else that WBB at South Carolina was irrelevant.

So why would the question of does the WBB team come out and stand for the National Anthem, be a bigger question than the question of, does the FB team come out and stand for the National Anthem? Or, has it EVER come out and stood for it, post 9/11 notwithstanding??
However much one values one sport over another is irrelevant when it comes to playing the National Anthem before the event and whether or not the teams are on/adjacent to the court, field, etc. during the playing. IMO, it's not a bigger or lesser question depending on the sport. Ideally, it should be a matter of school policy of how all varsity teams should conduct themselves via a vis the playing of the National Anthem.

If you want to discuss the popularity, economic relevance, national standing, etc. of one or more sports, such can be a worthwhile discussion if conducted with respect for all sports and the participating student-athletes. But that's not what this thread is about.

ConwayGamecock

Jan 20, 2022
However much one values one sport over another is irrelevant when it comes to playing the National Anthem before the event and whether or not the teams are on/adjacent to the court, field, etc. during the playing. IMO, it's not a bigger or lesser question depending on the sport. Ideally, it should be a matter of school policy of how all varsity teams should conduct themselves via a vis the playing of the National Anthem.

If you want to discuss the popularity, economic relevance, national standing, etc. of one or more sports, such can be a worthwhile discussion if conducted with respect for all sports and the participating student-athletes. But that's not what this thread is about.

No, this thread is totally about pure hypocrisy. And so is YOUR above response. Whether or not college football is a bigger or more valued sport than women's basketball or ANY other collegiate sport, is beside the point. The point is, a portion of the fanbase here raging over women's basketball being perceived to not being present and standing for the national anthem, when I have never recalled anyone questioning our team NOT doing the same thing.

Also, many of the same people have raged as well against NFL players not standing for the national anthem, when they have never made a peep about our own college football players not doing it with regularity over the years. First, they raged the players using the anthem to stage peaceful protests. Then, when the players chose to not protest anymore, but simply not stand for the anthem, the rage transitioned to accommodate it while still raging, forgetting that as they did that, they made themselves into hypocrites, because they NEVER have ANY issues with the football team doing the same thing every season......

The reason the FB team doesn't stand for the anthem is because they can't come out and stand for the anthem, then go back into the exits and then run back out for the playing of the 2001 entrance, and they can't do the 2001 entrance and THEN make everyone in the stands shut up and stand for the national anthem. So they forgo standing for the playing of the national anthem, so they can have a crowd-inciting entrance for every home game.

And that's OK with everyone, I guess. But choosing not to stand for the national anthem to protest racial discrimination - well, that's just un-American.......

Anon1649233211

Apr 6, 2022
Staley’s team has stayed in the locker room during the anthem or protested in some form since the middle of the 2020-21 college basketball season. She told Andscape at the time that’s players were sitting during the national anthem in almost every game that season to "bring awareness to racial injustice in our country."

"If opposing teams choose to play the anthem during the time we’re in the locker room, then we choose to stay in the locker room," she said. Staley added: "I love our country, too. I don’t like what our country has come to, or what our country has been, but I’d like to think that there are people in our country that’s going to lead us more in a unified way than a divisive way, and I’m here for that

Game...Cocks

Joined Apr 17, 2019
Feb 5, 2022
America is about freedom. So we don't have laws about behavior during the anthem or what is patriotic. Thank you for understanding.

As far as influencing others and appearances, Dawn Staley just won the national championship. She previously carried our flag into the Olympics. We are lucky to have her. May it always be so.

14a1oly1_08-14-2004_NA29J24.jpg

Anon1649233211

Apr 6, 2022

Slavery at South Carolina College, 1801–1865:​

The Foundations of the University of South Carolina​

This website is intended to tell the largely unknown and unfamiliar story of slavery at South Carolina College, the institutional predecessor of the University of South Carolina.

Slaves played a fundamental role at the college between its founding in December 1801 and February 1865, when slaves saw themselves liberated by the arrival of federal troops in Columbia in the final months of the Civil War. The primary buildings of South Carolina College survive as the historic heart of the modern campus—known today as the Horseshoe—and were constructed by slave labor and built of slave-made brick.

If one stands today on the steps of the university’s McKissick Museum and gazes toward Sumter Street, almost all of the buildings that constituted South Carolina College on the eve of the Civil War are visible. (The original president’s house has been replaced by McKissick Museum and several extant antebellum buildings are obscured by structures and vegetation.) It is a surprisingly intact and well-preserved “landscape of slavery.”

Slaves were essential to the daily operations of the antebellum institution, in addition to their role in shaping its built environment. Whether they were owned outright by the faculty or the college itself, or hired from private parties, slaves maintained campus buildings, cleaned student tenements and faculty duplexes, and prepared meals at the student dining commons, faculty residences, and the president’s house. Slaves lived and worked in now-forgotten outbuildings located behind the buildings of the present-day Horseshoe.

Remarkably, one kitchen house / slave quarters stands today.

Gotta Wonder if DS has researched this being she is such a sjw .

Reactions: Cockiest2001

Anon1649233211

Apr 6, 2022
Final thougt, I find it quite odd that there are numberous post over the years concerning Clemtech and Tillman when the fact is USC was infact built by slaves and students even brought slaves with them while getting their education at University of South Carolina .

atl-cock

Jan 18, 2022
No, this thread is totally about pure hypocrisy. And so is YOUR above response. Whether or not college football is a bigger or more valued sport than women's basketball or ANY other collegiate sport, is beside the point. The point is, a portion of the fanbase here raging over women's basketball being perceived to not being present and standing for the national anthem, when I have never recalled anyone questioning our team NOT doing the same thing.

Also, many of the same people have raged as well against NFL players not standing for the national anthem, when they have never made a peep about our own college football players not doing it with regularity over the years. First, they raged the players using the anthem to stage peaceful protests. Then, when the players chose to not protest anymore, but simply not stand for the anthem, the rage transitioned to accommodate it while still raging, forgetting that as they did that, they made themselves into hypocrites, because they NEVER have ANY issues with the football team doing the same thing every season......

The reason the FB team doesn't stand for the anthem is because they can't come out and stand for the anthem, then go back into the exits and then run back out for the playing of the 2001 entrance, and they can't do the 2001 entrance and THEN make everyone in the stands shut up and stand for the national anthem. So they forgo standing for the playing of the national anthem, so they can have a crowd-inciting entrance for every home game.

And that's OK with everyone, I guess. But choosing not to stand for the national anthem to protest racial discrimination - well, that's just un-American.......
How is my response hypocritical when I assert that USC should have a consistent policy for all varsity teams vis a vis the national anthem? It seems like you are attacking me, yet I agree with you.

Please review my first post on this thread where I stated that I attended a MBB game 39 years ago and noted at the time that the Gamecocks were not on the court/sidelines during the playing of the national anthem. I don't recall anybody making a stink about that at the time. Please note that I am not one of the posters who criticized WBB for staying in the locker room.

While personally I think that all varsity teams should be present and stand for the playing of the National Anthem, I place a higher priority on the USC Athletic Department having a consistent policy on this which applies to all varsity teams, i.e., If MBB stays in the locker room, so should WBB, and football, and golf, tennis, baseball, soccer, track and field, etc. Either all teams are present and standing, or no teams are. That's consistency, not hypocrisy.

Last edited:

Lurker123

Jan 18, 2022
How is my response hypocritical when I assert that USC should have a consistent policy for all varsity teams vis a vis the national anthem? It seems like you are attacking me, yet I agree with you.

Please review my first post on this thread where I stated that I attended a MBB game 39 years ago and noted at the time that the Gamecocks were not on the court/sidelines during the playing of the national anthem. I don't recall anybody making a stink about that at the time. Please note that I am not one of the posters who criticized WBB for staying in the locker room.

While personally I think that all varsity teams should be present and stand for the playing of the National Anthem, I place a higher priority on the USC Athletic Department having a consistent policy on this which applies to all varsity teams, i.e., If MBB stays in the locker room, so should WBB, and football, and golf, tennis, baseball, soccer, track and field, etc. Either all teams are present and standing, or no teams are. That's consistency, not hypocrisy.
Sometimes people get on a roll in their own mind, and it doesn't matter what you post. They have a predetermined rant to get out.

The Reel Ess

Joined Feb 3, 2005
Jan 31, 2022

Sure they could have. I think this was intentional to avoid the whole issue of protests during the anthem. No one will kneel if they aren't on the court. But it still could be construed as a protest because you aren't out there. Sort of riding the fence of protesting and not protesting. Imagine being Dawn and having to appease the players and the fans. Everybody wants something. She wants national championships.

I'm not criticizing anyone. It's just my belief.

Reactions: 18IsTheMan

atl-cock

Jan 18, 2022
Sometimes people get on a roll in their own mind, and it doesn't matter what you post. They have a predetermined rant to get out.
No problem with a rant - I've ranted myself - just not enthused of being accused of something I didn't do. Your support is appreciated, Lurker.

HI Cock1

Joined Oct 14, 2012
Jan 22, 2022
Here's a simple solution. If you think what DS and her team does regarding the national anthem is wrong, give up on WBB as UofSC. Don't watch. Don't comment. If you simply can't get past the flag issue, vote with your feet (and don't let the door hit ya).

Otherwise, focus on the sport... and the unprecedented achievements of our program. We are fortunate that DS is with us and not against us.

atl-cock

Jan 18, 2022
Here's a simple solution. If you think what DS and her team does regarding the national anthem is wrong, give up on WBB as UofSC. Don't watch. Don't comment. If you simply can't get past the flag issue, vote with your feet (and don't let the door hit ya).

Otherwise, focus on the sport... and the unprecedented achievements of our program. We are fortunate that DS is with us and not against us.

I don't think restricting the conversation to only positive comments has ever worked for any topic. Especially a sports message board.
Disagreements are fine, but let's be respectful about it.

I do think it's "wrong" to not stand at attention for the national anthem, but I'm not strident about it. I'm more strident in my belief that USC made a mistake leaving the ACC way back when.

And to rehash again, barring logistical concerns, I think the USC Athletic Department should craft a national anthem protocol which should apply to all varsity teams. I'm certain there are other protocols in place as well regarding issues such as lodging/meals for away contests, etc.

Standing is my preference, but I place a higher priority on consistency,

Evilchicken

Mar 25, 2022
Why is the National Anthem played before sporting events anyway? Sports are such an international pastime now, I can't think of any other reason we play the anthem than jingoism. Yes, honor the country at the 4th of July, or the Olympics, or to honor our proud and deserving military, or in time of national crisis, but at the Superbowl?? One of our bedrock institutions is FREE SPEECH. You wanna protest the anthem or the flag, so be it. Just remember, protesting comes at a cost too--to your reputation.

Reactions: Game...Cocks

Latest posts

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login