Dear athletic gods…

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
First of all, we are fine in basketball long term with Janes. It was a road SEC game against a seemingly good opponent. I think most of us feel frustration because we were good enough to win and didn't, rather than a 'we suck' sort of the deal.

But back to the AD, in general terms, we have no specific plan, we are simply trying to be a big boy, so we get what we get, most of the time. We spread ourselves completely thin as far as resources, no real consolidation. Cohen is the only AD that really recognized this. He knew we needed a niche for football, and that we needed a tough, hard-nosed basketball program. He also realized we could compete in the smaller sports (baseball included), even if they didn't make us a ton of money. They help create an attractive, winning atmosphere though.

But at MSU, baseball is not really a smaller sport, and we have been consistently there across our history, so there's that. The mouth-breathers get hung up on 2 years (one of which we were ravaged by injury, last year admittedly was a rebuilding year). Outside of that, and 2008-2010, we've pretty much been winners there.

So - we'll pretty much continue to be Mississippi State. Baseball will be above average, basketball will be average, football will be below average. Over the long term. You take from one, another suffers, etc.

AstroDog

Oct 5, 2022
Don't worry.....things will change when Texas and Oklahoma bring their mega athletic war chests into the SEC fold.

WilCoDawg

Sep 6, 2012
Maybe we need to sacrifice 30…20….10…er, maybe find just 1 OM virgin? Could we find one? Just one?

DearOleState

Jan 2, 2024
First of all, we are fine in basketball long term with Janes. It was a road SEC game against a seemingly good opponent. I think most of us feel frustration because we were good enough to win and didn't, rather than a 'we suck' sort of the deal.

But back to the AD, in general terms, we have no specific plan, we are simply trying to be a big boy, so we get what we get, most of the time. We spread ourselves completely thin as far as resources, no real consolidation. Cohen is the only AD that really recognized this. He knew we needed a niche for football, and that we needed a tough, hard-nosed basketball program. He also realized we could compete in the smaller sports (baseball included), even if they didn't make us a ton of money. They help create an attractive, winning atmosphere though.

But at MSU, baseball is not really a smaller sport, and we have been consistently there across our history, so there's that. The mouth-breathers get hung up on 2 years (one of which we were ravaged by injury, last year admittedly was a rebuilding year). Outside of that, and 2008-2010, we've pretty much been winners there.

So - we'll pretty much continue to be Mississippi State. Baseball will be above average, basketball will be average, football will be below average. Over the long term. You take from one, another suffers, etc.
I’d put a pillow over baseball and basketball and smother the life out of them both for a consistent top 5 SEC football team.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
I’d put a pillow over baseball and basketball and smother the life out of them both for a consistent top 5 SEC football team.
Well, that's the Ole Miss blueprint, from way back when. And as time goes on, they still managed to win a baseball title, just like us, even though our overall history is better. And they were good at basketball once in a while, though not as good as us. So you may be on to something.

I just question the commitment quotient of our fanbase when it comes to football. We tend to want to have success, then THEN show up. Danny showed us that it was the other way around, for a program like ours.

Clemson and Auburn adopted your blueprint too, and it's worked for them. But the key in all those is that they had some real success early on, and have donors who would step in front of an oncoming train for the program.

BulldogLegacy

Feb 27, 2008

Cohen sucksd and the next few years under this AD will prove as long as he doesn't get purposely dragged down by some of the tenured folks in the department.

Dawgbite

Nov 1, 2011
I blame all our parents who said they'd give anything for a baseball championship back in the 80s.

Turns out anything is a lot.
Heck, I said it sitting in a parking lot in Omaha a couple of years ago.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login