Dear Mr. South Carolina PA Man,

DawgatAuburn

Apr 25, 2006
I just wanted to tell you that I thoroughly enjoyed my trip to Columbia yesterday. The people were nice, I ate some great food, and for kicks, we won the game.

I must also compliment you on your work. You have a very nice voice for that sort of thing, and though I don't have a man crush on you, not that there's anything wrong with that, I can see how some of your followers might develop one.

As with anything though, there is always room for improvement, and I, Dawg@Auburn, am a master at telling people how they could do thing better. So read closely, and heed my advice.

1. Your pregame introductions were very good, but Rick Stansbury is the coach of Mississippi State, not Mississippi. We do share a state with a school by that name, but don't appreciate being called them any more than you like being called Clemson just because you are in the same state.

2. Our little guard's name is Ben Hansbrough. Perhaps living in the Carolinas you have hear of his brother, Tyler. Yes, that one! Anyway, you pronounce the last name like Tyler's. Not Handsburg, or Han-hansburrrow like you let slip out yesterday. Also, his first name is Ben, not David, which you said once.

3. Our center's name is Jarvis Varnado. There is a pronunciation guide in the media guide, and the last name is Vur NAR doe. Not VAR nuh doe, or Vur NAD oh. I know that's confusing, and many of our own fans don't know it, but it is right there in print, presumably for people who will be announcing the names in an amplified way to see.

4. I am not trying to make fun of dyslexia, but Jarvis and Charles Rhodes are opposite numbers of each other. Yesterday, at least once or twice you called CRhodes Varnado (or VAR nuh doe). Next time, just remember Varnado is the tall one actually playing defense and it will be easier.

There you have it, four easy tips to make your job performance better. Let me know if I can help more.

D@A

Jan 13, 2008
when hans went to the line for three shots, I swore he wouldn't hit all three. Then I remembered u were there. Its was money in the bag.

FlabLoser

Aug 20, 2006
I found it strange their baseline said "Carolina" instead of "South Carolina". Then I dutifully took note of the C sans the U and S at center court. Hmm.. What are they trying to pull?

With such thinking, the "Mississippi" in place of "Mississppi State" is almost forgivable. But we dog fans would prefer for consistency's sake that they'd nix the first name instead of the second and just call us "State".

Maybe. I don't know how many of ya'll realize this, but "State" is mostly only recognized in and very near the state of Mississippi. I had a tour of duty in Texas and had to learn not to say "I'm a State fan". People were like..huh?

eckie1

Jun 23, 2007
The "Carolina" stuff irks me, too. I don't consider scar to be "Carolina". Carolina is where Bensbrough plays.

As far as the "State" comment, I can see why it wouldn't work in TX. Texas State wasn't even named that until 2003, according to their website. But, I imagine that if you said that you were a "State" fan in Carolina (of the northern persuasion) or Michigan, they'd think you were a Wolfpacker or a Spartan.

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006
Quote:_________________________________________________3. Our center's name is Jarvis Varnado. There is a pronunciation guide in the media guide, and the last name is Vur NAR doe. Not VAR nuh doe, or Vur NAD oh. I know that's confusing, and many of our own fans don't know it, but it is right there in print, presumably for people who will be announcing the names in an amplified way to see._________________________________________________

That is confusing. I've been pronouncing it VAR nuh doe, but then I've not looked at the media guide.

norman.sixpack

Jun 5, 2007
that USC has some serious talent around that campus. The meal was great, the scenary much better. Im not a fan of schools being located in large cities, but their campus area is very nice. The SC fans around us were as nice as any Ive ever been around on an road game.

orthodawg08

Feb 23, 2008
I had an experience while on an away rotation at the UArk Medical center this fall. I was at the State/rkansas game in Little rock and i went with a buddy of mine who is a UArk fan. I was tail-gating before the game with a State football shirt on surrounded by about 10,000 Ark fans. Some drunk dude started talking trash to me as I walked through and asked if my shirt meant Arkansas State, I say hell no and he proceeds to tell me what sexual act he wants me to perform and at times like this it helps to have a quick comeback. Luckily he had one of those hair under the bottom lip masterpieces and I was set. He was lucky I was cornered by those 9,999 other fans or I'd woulda come wit it.

vhdawg

Sep 29, 2004
...he spent the entire game in 2000 calling Prentiss Cole "Preston Cole".

I understand mispronoucing something, but to change it outright, just damn.

vhdawg

Sep 29, 2004
When we were in Gainesville three years ago, after the game we went out to eat and this drunken jackass saw our maroon and started yelling "YEAAAHHH, WE WHIPPED MISSISSIPPI'S ***!!! GET HIM A BODYBAG JOHNNY!!" (Okay, he didn't really say that last part, but it establishes what he sounded like.)

I got up, walked over there and said "We're Mississippi STATE, and we don't come down here calling you the Seminoles, do we?"

He shut up after that.

[Edit: To qualify this, Todd4State was a witness to this occurrence.]

vorticityDawg

Feb 24, 2008
it's not like Jarvis is known as well as Brett Faveruh. Plus, it is pretty hard to get that pronunciation out of that spelling.

Todd04State

May 2, 2006
That man was the biggest douche in Florida. And that's saying something.

Of course anyone that would talk trash about beating MSU in football between 2002-2006 is pretty sad- especially a Florida fan.

DawgatAuburn

Apr 25, 2006
We dined at the Blue Marlin. It was excellent as well. Grabbed a burger at Jillian's before the game and watched 21 TVs simultaneously. Gervais Street is a very nice area. Lots of options. I've been to football there too, and it is a fun trip.

vhdawg

Sep 29, 2004
....some of their dumbass students were giving us ****, and they shut up after I asked them if Florida had won in Starkville during their lifetimes.

Sep 15, 2004
Yeah, I remember hearing those stories. Oh wait, I was there.

And it was "you keep losing in Starkville, we'll keep losing in Gainesville."

AA - even remembers the girl at the grocery store confusing us with UM

uhhct1

Feb 24, 2008
When we played in Athens a few years ago. Some buddies and I had parked our vehicle somewhere in the city and started walking to the stadium. A scalper was yellin that he had tickets and then he proceded to piss every one of us off by saying we have tickets on the Ole Miss side. That soon followed with some pretty degrading comments

IBEINSTARKVEGAS

Aug 30, 2006
After the game Im waiting in line with my wife for the alumni bus to come back. When a WV fan (Im 80% sure he was wearing a jersey, because that was the percentage at the game) came by cussing and screaming Mississippi sucks. Some Old man beside me screams out, YES THEY DO. Confused the hell out of the guy.

Agentdog

Aug 16, 2006
I like to take the confuse approach also. I had a UPig fan ask if I was happy Nutt was "our" new coach. I told him Nutt wasn't "our" new coach. It was like the Abbott and Costell "Who's on first" bit.

You make them feel like a dumbass in the end.

Agentdog

Aug 16, 2006
Quote:_________________________________________________asked if my shirt meant Arkansas State_________________________________________________

Sad part is.....he probably really thought that. They are so ignorant and removed from the rest of the conference, very few of their fans would know who you were referring to if they heard they were playing "State".

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login