Dear Ol’ State: Talking Baseball With Chris Lemonis

JoelTColeman

May 24, 2013
STARKVILLE, MS - March 04, 2023 - Mississippi State Head Coach Chris Lemonis during the game between the Oklahoma Sooners and the Mississippi State Bulldogs at Dr Pepper Ballpark in Frisco, Texas. Photo By Kai Caddy

More...

**These are automatic feeds from a Joel T. (Woo) Coleman Hail State RSS Feed. It reads from that feed and automatically posts new articles.**

JoelTColeman

May 24, 2013
I know I’m the eternal optimist, even before I was paid to be, but really did think Lem was candid and gave some good insight to be excited about on this show. So I think it’s worth a watch/listen. It’s free to view on HailState+ too by the way. No sign up required. It’s under the podcasts tab. But also on Apple, Spotify and the web too if anyone just wants the audio version.

The Peeper

Feb 26, 2008
I know I’m the eternal optimist, even before I was paid to be, but really did think Lem was candid and gave some good insight to be excited about on this show. So I think it’s worth a watch/listen. It’s free to view on HailState+ too by the way. No sign up required. It’s under the podcasts tab. But also on Apple, Spotify and the web too if anyone just wants the audio version.
Talk is cheap, I don't want to hear any. I want to see fire in the belly, leaders being vocal on the field and not the ones shooting arrows from 2nd base back to the dugout when they just hit a double against a midweek starter from MVSU.
I'll hold out to see results next February. I'll give credit when it's due but will be bitter and vocal if it's not after the past 2 seasons

Ozarkdawg

Apr 1, 2017
Gave the benefit of the doubt after the 1st wreck. But after he got behind the wheel and did it again, I have no desire to hear his voice at all. Bringing that wreck up now just seems like piss poor timing while the fan base is getting excited about that first kick.

JoelTColeman

May 24, 2013
Gave the benefit of the doubt after the 1st wreck. But after he got behind the wheel and did it again, I have no desire to hear his voice at all. Bringing that wreck up now just seems like piss poor timing while the fan base is getting excited about that first kick.
Frustration understood but the team is starting individuals/early stages of fall ball. Just as we discuss the football team in spring regardless of the previous season’s record, we’ll still have podcasts/written content and promote our baseball team some in the fall. A 20-minute podcast 18 days before kickoff that allows those that want to hear from our head baseball coach to do so doesn’t take away at all from football. 4 of our 5 shows last week were football. 3 of our 5 this week will be football. Likely 4 of 5 next week will be football. Football and the excitement surrounding it remains the primary focus, but we have 13 other teams on campus and countless athletes that need to be talked about and written about as time allows.

PhredPhantom

Mar 3, 2008
The fact that it’s this close to the start of football season has nothing to do with it.

Lemonis won a National Championship with mostly players not brought here by him.

The following year he didn’t even make a regional or the SEC Tournament and he pretty much got a pass on that.

Then he comes back the next year and is arguably worse than the disaster of the year before. Still no regional and still didn’t even make it to the SEC Tournament - again.

Now he wants to come up and get on a podcast and blow smoke thinking anybody cares what he has to say now?

The time when anybody cares what he says is over. Show us on the field. His words don’t mean anything at this point. He’s lost that and has to earn it back and now he has one, and only one, season for that to happen. I don’t mean he has to win a National Championship next season but he has to be respectable instead of embarrassing like the last two years in a row.

Ozarkdawg

Apr 1, 2017
Frustration understood but the team is starting individuals/early stages of fall ball. Just as we discuss the football team in spring regardless of the previous season’s record, we’ll still have podcasts/written content and promote our baseball team some in the fall. A 20-minute podcast 18 days before kickoff that allows those that want to hear from our head baseball coach to do so doesn’t take away at all from football. 4 of our 5 shows last week were football. 3 of our 5 this week will be football. Likely 4 of 5 next week will be football. Football and the excitement surrounding it remains the primary focus, but we have 13 other teams on campus and countless athletes that need to be talked about and written about as time allows.
I dont think NOW is the time to talk baseball coach here. This room JUST died down from that and it wasn't positive. I don't think folks are negative at all about hearing from the players some. But I also don't think most want to hear from HC right now. As said earlier, maybe after basketball he might get better reception.

WilCoDawg

Sep 6, 2012
I’ll listen to it reluctantly bc I want to hear what he says as much as I want to hear from Croom or Mullen or RRay. I like your show but this one is one that will be a time-filler.

HumpDawgy

Apr 6, 2010
They better be doing their best coaching jobs of their careers this fall. I don't see where we increased our talent through the portal or even replaced the talent that were drafted, so it seems he is banking on extreme improvement from existing players and players coming off career ending injuries.*** We should be a shoe in this year for hoover.***

Reactions: thekimmer

thekimmer

Aug 30, 2012
The fact that it’s this close to the start of football season has nothing to do with it.

Lemonis won a National Championship with mostly players not brought here by him.

The following year he didn’t even make a regional or the SEC Tournament and he pretty much got a pass on that.

Then he comes back the next year and is arguably worse than the disaster of the year before. Still no regional and still didn’t even make it to the SEC Tournament - again.

Now he wants to come up and get on a podcast and blow smoke thinking anybody cares what he has to say now?

The time when anybody cares what he says is over. Show us on the field. His words don’t mean anything at this point. He’s lost that and has to earn it back and now he has one, and only one, season for that to happen. I don’t mean he has to win a National Championship next season but he has to be respectable instead of embarrassing like the last two years in a row.
Joel T has a job to do and I respect that. I do not see this interview as inappropriate and I hope those interested enjoy it. Just for me personally I'm not interested in anything CCL has to say for the time being. Because of the utter failure of his teams the last two years and his astounding self-proclaimed mystery as what to do about it, the only effect his words have on me at this time are negative. The only thing want to see or hear from Chris Lemonis is winning baseball and then maybe I will consider listening to what he has to say. If he fails again I don't want to hear any explanations or excuses. I just want him gone. His performance in the portal has not exactly built any optimism for me.

17itdawg

Sep 30, 2022
I completely get why people aren't receptive to this. Joel and Logan do a great job, and they have a job to do. So, I won't be critical of them at all. I'll listen because baseball is my favorite, but I'm frustrated like everyone else with Lemonis and his coaching staff.

thekimmer

Aug 30, 2012
They better be doing their best coaching jobs of their careers this fall. I don't see where we increased our talent through the portal or even replaced the talent that were drafted, so it seems he is banking on extreme improvement from existing players and players coming off career ending injuries.*** We should be a shoe in this year for hoover.***
Well, maybe they will because these past couple of years I have found it very hard to believe that we could possibly be as bad as we have been just based on a sheer lack of talent alone.

Also in my opinion sliding into hoover by the skin of his teeth as a 10-12 then going 2 and 'que in someone else's regional as a 3 seed shouldn't be good enough for him to keep his job either.

Reactions: PhredPhantom

Lucifer Morningstar

Aug 30, 2022
Hard pass on listening to anything from him, but I understand why this was put up. Hopefully we can survive the train wreck that is coming and be rid of him after this year. At least that is my hope.

JoeSchmedlap

May 28, 2023
We can agree to disagree

Forrest4Moore

Nov 14, 2011
I listened. And got livid again at him still being our coach.

He said “yeah, we had Cheese on the road recruiting the high school and travel circuit this summer while Gaut, Parker, and myself focused on the portal.”

Considering we missed on our biggest portal targets, that’s an abject failure. And I can’t imagine stud high school prospects flocked to Kyle Cheesebrough this summer.

What a disaster.

Ozarkdawg

Apr 1, 2017

He said “yeah, we had Cheese on the road recruiting the high school and travel circuit this summer while Gaut, Parker, and myself focused on the portal.”

Considering we missed on our biggest portal targets, that’s an abject failure. And I can’t imagine stud high school prospects flocked to Kyle Cheesebrough this summer.

What a disaster.
I'm not listening, but it sounds like you said that he said his summer recruiting was a lot like last season. Especially since he focused on on the portal.
Beat the mid-week teams and an occasional weekend game.
In recruiting, he picked up the mid week player and an occasional weekend guy.

Sorry but I can't find anything to be positive about regarding the HC. I really believed his BS last summer about getting it turned around. Then he was clueless and admitted it. He has to earn it back.

Seinfeld

Nov 30, 2006

What a disaster.
Did he happen to mention how his beach trip went this Summer?

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login