Death, Taxes, Chelsea signs another player…

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006
Joao Felix to Stamford Bridge…

…maybe of interest to folks who are involved in FPL.

• Haha
Reactions: patdog

The Cooterpoot

Sep 29, 2022
I've often wondered how folks get into this soccer stuff. Is it from playing in HS? College?
I've tried and it just bores me to death. What's the excitement? Just curious

horshack.sixpack

Oct 30, 2012
I've often wondered how folks get into this soccer stuff. Is it from playing in HS? College?
I've tried and it just bores me to death. What's the excitement? Just curious
Played for 40+ years and understand it. If you don't understand it, you have no idea what is going on. That being said, as much as I love soccer, it is rare that I watch a match entirely. I have a whole list of sports that I like(ed) to play but don't have the patience to watch: soccer, golf, bowling, tennis, etc.

patdog

May 28, 2007
Played for 40+ years and understand it. If you don't understand it, you have no idea what is going on. That being said, as much as I love soccer, it is rare that I watch a match entirely. I have a whole list of sports that I like(ed) to play but don't have the patience to watch: soccer, golf, bowling, tennis, etc.
Like any sport, if you know the rules and understand it a little, it makes a big difference. If all you see is a bunch of guys running around and kicking a ball back and forth, then yeah, it's going to be pretty boring. Just like if all you see is a bunch of guys line up and either hand a ball to someone who runs with it until he gets tackled or throw it to someone who either catches it or doesn't and then go stand around for 40 seconds before doing it all over again (except occasionally one team kicks the ball for some strange reason and then they all stand around for 3 minutes), that sport would be pretty boring too.

ETK99

Jul 30, 2019
I've got a decent general knowledge of soccer but a better understanding couldn't hurt me and I tried to watch our women last year and it was tough. I'm guessing the demographic on soccer fans in the U.S. is also still fairly young, based on what I see in bars. Wondering soccer adjusts rules like baseball and football to generate more scoring at some point.

Reactions: Maroon Eagle

patdog

May 28, 2007
I've got a decent general knowledge of soccer but a better understanding couldn't hurt me and I tried to watch our women last year and it was tough. I'm guessing the demographic on soccer fans in the U.S. is also still fairly young, based on what I see in bars. Wondering soccer adjusts rules like baseball and football to generate more scoring at some point.
They're testing a new relaxed offside rule at a few lower level leagues. New rule would be your entire body has to be in offside position rather than just any part of your body other than your arms. I think that would help. Also red cards for intentionally fouling a player on a breakaway would go a long way to opening up scoring. Dumbest thing about soccer is as soon as the most exciting play in the game starts, someone intentionally brings the player with the ball down and only gets a yellow card.

Podgy

Oct 1, 2022
Working/travelling to Europe. It took a little while for me to get used to it but it's the closest Europe has to the excitement/loyalty we have for college football. It's a blast being there and cheering on your team even when it's just in a pub.

Reactions: Maroon Eagle

Herbert Nenninger

Feb 9, 2019
Played it growing up. Had a new coach in 8th grade, and one day he gave the class a busy work assignment and then called me to his desk; he wanted me to explain some of the rules to him, mainly offsides. Was mvp and all division senior year. I think it’s fun to play, and I’m very impressed with the skill required. So I understand it well. But I still can’t get into the EPL or any other pro leagues for some reason. I get into the World Cup but that’s about it.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login